Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,529,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'd go with the coast and the mountains. The cities and towns of this state (including Charlotte) really don't register much in the minds of the average American. I will say this much though. Charlotte and the Triangle are impressive to most visitors (when they actually do decide to visit those areas). However, most folks just don't think about NC cities the way how they think about Charleston, SC for example. Besides, probably 20-30% of Americans think that Charlotte is in SC (usually thinking that Charleston and Charlotte are the same cities).
I agree. Charlotte is popular, but on a national scale, some confuse Charlotte with Charleston, SC or Charlottesville, Va.

I know Raleigh and Durham are two seperate cities, but on a national scale, most people refer to that area as Raleigh/Durham, and I believe they know the area is in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
I'm watching the Campaign based in NC. and I'm DYING

Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,894,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I'm watching the Campaign based in NC. and I'm DYING

That's Will Ferrell's second shot at North Carolinians. The first being "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby". His Campaign co-star, Zach Galifinakis (sp?) is from NC. As well as Ken Jeong. (not sure why I always feel compelled to mention him when I mention Zach Galifnakis, perhaps since they were both in "Hangover" which brought them both to prominence)

Old 12-06-2012, 07:07 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,104 times
1st in flight.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:36 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,529,623 times
Tar heels

Old 12-07-2012, 05:10 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
I lived in Savannah, GA for a year. A majority of the folks who are natives from the metro area call across the river (which is SC) Carolina. I would always say yes I"m from SOUTH CAROLINA. So, do you miss "Carolina"? Or "cool I love visiting Hilton Head in Carolina". It was kind of cool to see that city refer to the other side of the river as just "Carolina."

Also, my family up North has no idea what the difference is. I grew up in Columbia and I tell them I live in Charlotte and if they say their visiting me in South Carolina, I say, no I'm in NC. I've gotten, same thing. It's all the way down there. lol

Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
1st in flight.
Ohio wants to disagree with that, though.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
I can honestly say that most folks here in Michigan know very little about NC. Other than "hearing" it is beautiful, few have actually seen it up close and personal. When I am asked about my time in NC, folks are surprised to hear how nice it is (besides the fire ants) and few know geographic locations.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I lived in Savannah, GA for a year. A majority of the folks who are natives from the metro area call across the river (which is SC) Carolina. I would always say yes I"m from SOUTH CAROLINA. So, do you miss "Carolina"? Or "cool I love visiting Hilton Head in Carolina". It was kind of cool to see that city refer to the other side of the river as just "Carolina."
Actually I find that irritating and kind of patronizing. NC and SC are two different states, just as much as GA and FL or NY and NJ are. There is no such place as "Carolina" (except UNC or USC, depending on which state you're in). When someone says "I know someone who moved to 'Carolina' ", they are showing their ignorance and laziness in learning the difference between two different states.

Quote:
Also, my family up North has no idea what the difference is. I grew up in Columbia and I tell them I live in Charlotte and if they say their visiting me in South Carolina, I say, no I'm in NC. I've gotten, same thing. It's all the way down there. lol
I find that up north and in California, too--tell someone you're from NC and they will introduce you as "This is Francois, he's from South Carolina". Someone once went on and on, after learning I was from NC, about how they had a sister living in Greenville...which actually turned out to be Greenville, SC

Your post actually demonstrates that people are ignorant about North and South Carolina and can't keep them straight.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Your post actually demonstrates that people are ignorant about North and South Carolina and can't keep them straight.
Which is why the two states should combine and let Charlotte be the capital. We can add Puerto Rico as an official US state so we'll still have an even 50. Problem solved.

Seriously though, the "Carolina" thing is our own fault. Between the Panthers, the Tarheels, the Gamecocks, the Hurricanes, and various businesses small and large; we do tend to over-promote the single name Carolina. Even a popular James Taylor song was called "Carolina on my mind". Today within pop culture, both states are often mentioned together as "The Carolinas". During a Panthers' home game, the announcers often say things like "It's a beautiful day here in Carolina". They are required to say "Carolina" because that is the team's name that local ownership chose to use.

Then there is the popular phrase "Carolina Blue". This color (or a variation of it) can be found on college teams as well as Charlotte's light rail cars. All over NC, the name Carolina is promoted quite often. I don't really blame other regions for not knowing the difference. I blame us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina