Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:51 AM

674 posts, read 796,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Sorry for going on a rant and being so forward. It's just that Charlotte forumers are some of the most obnoxious posters on any city or urban forum I've been to. Not just this site, but many other boards. Come on, his comment was "keep up people?" That remark was just plain condescending.I love Charlotte, but i also like to be realistic.
"Wah wah wah, I feel someone was condescending on the internet....."
Look, I was saying "keep up" because you all are NOT keeping up on stats that are by university growth studies BTW.

Quote:
I guess you're one of the people that think Charlotte is bigger than DC,ATL,MIA,etc.
No. Because I am not moronic. But thanks for being concerned about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,662,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
"Wah wah wah, I feel someone was condescending on the internet....."
Look, I was saying "keep up" because you all are NOT keeping up on stats that are by university growth studies BTW.

No. Because I am not moronic. But thanks for being concerned about me.
Still can't argue with the fact, eh?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 AM

Are you unable to read? Serious question, is that a problem you have? RE-READ
Quote:
In addition I find it laughable that you
a) actually argue about what a "city" is and argue that Charlotte is too sprawled and that skews numbers. Someday get on one of them thar big ol' jet planes and go to other cities and you will see that ALL large cities have sprawl, yet that sprawl, as long as it is considered part of the city's metro, is included in stats (i.e. Atlanta, LA, Chicago, etc).
b) that you are going to argue that the growth here is not that big of a deal when the US Census, National Council on Mayors, USA Today, and several universities disagree with you.

But I guess you know best.

Last edited by ncisgreat; 10-17-2007 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Are you unable to read? Serious question, is that a problem you have? RE-READ
What's your point?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times
Quote:
Yeah. However thats due to heavy annexation. Charlotte is now almost 300 sqare miles! Charlotte probably has the most bloated city stats, for a city not yet city-county consolidated. I guess you're one of the people that think Charlotte is bigger than DC,ATL,MIA,etc. Raleigh was the second fastest growing city on the east coast last year until Charlotte decided to annex liberally throughout the county. Charlotte is a growing city indeed, but the city stats are misleading.

Your comment about cows and numbers are promotional rhetoric. Not one city in NC are anywhere near being heavily urban. Our Urban areas are quite small compared to cities of similar size (city pop). According to the US census. Richmond, Norfolk and many more cities with low city counts (due to strict annexation), are much larger than Raleigh and Charlotte, when counting urban area. Charlotte is not a major city yet regardless of what banks are uptown. So give it a rest.

We're growing, BUT NOT IN EPIC PROPORTIONS!
You have mentioned this twice now, and ignored the first time I disputed this. Please explain why you believe this to be true (about Charlotte stats being bloated because of heavy annexation). Other than little clumps of unincorporated areas near Steele Creek there has been nothing much to annex in the last 10 years or so. Would love to know why you believe otherwise.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You have mentioned this twice now, and ignored the first time I disputed this. Please explain why you believe this to be true (about Charlotte stats being bloated because of heavy annexation). Other than little clumps of unincorporated areas near Steele Creek there has been nothing much to annex in the last 10 years or so. Would love to know why you believe otherwise.
He/she ignored it because it was a ridculous assertion and he/she knows it.

"Oh well, the numbers are off because we have so many square miles in the city."

DUH, that's what a city IS. A large area. Who the hell cares if the area has annexation or not? My gosh, people slay me.

Some people who have strange mentalities on this issue seem to think "city" means ONLY urban areas, so we should only count growth in urban areas. That is a backward antiquated notion and not even the federal gov't, who is usually behind the times, subscribes to that notion.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:

"Oh well, the numbers are off because we have so many square miles in the city."

DUH, that's what a city IS. A large area. Who the hell cares if the area has annexation or not? My gosh, people slay me.

Some people who have strange mentalities on this issue seem to think "city" means ONLY urban areas, so we should only count growth in urban areas. That is a backward antiquated notion and not even the federal gov't, who is usually behind the times, subscribes to that notion.
You're dodging the question.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Well, for me a city is the area within the "city limits" - and that goes for Charlotte, New York, or whichever city you are looking at. The Charlotte city limits actually grew mostly internally back in the 90's when little chunks of unincorporated areas like Hickory Grove were gobbled up. Our outer limits have not really changed that much in about 10 years because of our agreement with neighboring counties not to cross county boundries to take unincorporated areas -we have basically already been at those county boundries for years.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Still can't argue with the fact, eh?
To be clear, which "fact" is ncisgreat not arguing with?

Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
You're dodging the question.
Seriously, what in God's name is wrong with you? We are having a discussion on growth, and you never asked a question!

Lovesmountains asked you a question. Answer it or get off the thread. You are adding nothing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina