U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:07 AM
 
885 posts, read 1,383,257 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
He/she ignored it because it was a ridculous assertion and he/she knows it.

"Oh well, the numbers are off because we have so many square miles in the city."

DUH, that's what a city IS. A large area. Who the hell cares if the area has annexation or not? My gosh, people slay me.

Some people who have strange mentalities on this issue seem to think "city" means ONLY urban areas, so we should only count growth in urban areas. That is a backward antiquated notion and not even the federal gov't, who is usually behind the times, subscribes to that notion.
You're dodging the question.

FYI. Urban area is a new measurement, that was used in the 2000 census. It's the most accurate calculation of a city's bulk population, regardless of city stats, that can be very misleading. For example Jackonville FL, touts itself as being the largest city in the state, when in fact it's of a much smaller pedigree than other major cities in the state. The land area accounted by the city is 885 sq miles!

Charlotte is indeed a large city, however not as large as the citizens tout it to be. Charlotte's city limits were much more average in 1990 at 131 sq miles. The city was about 395,000 then. Taking in account the original unbloated city boundaries. Charlotte today would be about 525,000. Which is still amazing non the less.

In the past 7 years Charlotte has annexed over 50 sq miles! So judging a city's growth based on annexation can be very misleading. I've heard every silly comment about Charlotte's growth. Even this one "Charlotte's pop will be 990,000 by 2010. That was a couple years ago."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:11 AM
 
885 posts, read 1,383,257 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Seriously, what in God's name is wrong with you? We are having a discussion on growth, and you never asked a question!

Lovesmountains asked you a question. Answer it or get off the thread. You are adding nothing here.
I hit the post button by mistake. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Wherever it is, I am sure it is cosmopolitan
674 posts, read 52,665 times
Reputation: 138
Someone get on the phone to LA, California and alert them that according to metro.m they are not a big city because they have too many sq miles in their stats! Someone call Chicago and let them know that according to metro.m's assertions they are indeed NOT the third largest city in th US!

My god. You are entitled to your opinion but AS I ALREADY POSTED, every major group incuding the US gov't, Council on Mayors, and university studies disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 AM
 
885 posts, read 1,383,257 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Someone get on the phone to LA, California and alert them that according to metro.m they are not a big city because they have too many sq miles in their stats! Someone call Chicago and let them know that according to metro.m's assertions they are indeed NOT the third largest city in th US!

My god. You are entitled to your opinion but AS I ALREADY POSTED, every major group incuding the US gov't, Council on Mayors, and university studies disagree with you.
You just don't get it do you. Los Angeles has an Urban Area of over 12 million people. At 498 sq miles,the city limit is a conservative land area for such continuously urban area. Charlotte has an urban area of about 800,000, which is tiny in comparison. Do you understand methodology at all?

In reality Charlotte is the 47th most urban area in the United States? That's the reason you see farms and cows only 20 minutes from the city's core.

Getting back to the original argument. City limit population has nothing to do with how urban a place is!

Last edited by metro.m; 10-17-2007 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Wherever it is, I am sure it is cosmopolitan
674 posts, read 52,665 times
Reputation: 138
You keep talking in circles. Verbally spew whatever you want, but the fact remains that the US Census, Council of Mayors, and several university studies disagree with YOU. You don't even understand the very census you are yapping about.

You have lost track of the subject of the thread:
With the housing markets in many cities getting ready to die a painful death, do you guys think even MORE people will be moving here to North Carolina??? NC has gotten a lot of press as a great place to live. Add in people's getting burned in a housing bubble that will pop over the next 18 months. Won't there be an accelerating number of people moving here from Florida and even California once the credit crunch and housing markets really start to deflate???

And the answer is YES, there will be an accelerating number of people, there already is, and will continue to be as this is one of the very few markets that is defying national housing trends.

OP, I would like to apologize for the thread getting off-track with people's diluted views on what is urban and what's not, as if it really matters and answers your orig post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:53 AM
 
885 posts, read 1,383,257 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
You keep talking in circles. Verbally spew whatever you want, but the fact remains that the US Census, Council of Mayors, and several university studies disagree with YOU. You don't even understand the very census you are yapping about.

You have lost track of the subject of the thread:
With the housing markets in many cities getting ready to die a painful death, do you guys think even MORE people will be moving here to North Carolina??? NC has gotten a lot of press as a great place to live. Add in people's getting burned in a housing bubble that will pop over the next 18 months. Won't there be an accelerating number of people moving here from Florida and even California once the credit crunch and housing markets really start to deflate???

And the answer is YES, there will be an accelerating number of people, there already is, and will continue to be as this is one of the very few markets that is defying national housing trends.

OP, I would like to apologize for the thread getting off-track with people's diluted views on what is urban and what's not, as if it really matters and answers your orig post.
Typical arrogance. I guess you have to attack me personally when you can't debate with me, based on facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 AM
 
1,479 posts, read 2,576,766 times
Reputation: 690
Default to stay on topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by free78 View Post
Just want to get some opinions. There have been a good deal of people moving here for a while now. With the housing markets in many cities getting ready to die a painful death, do you guys think even MORE people will be moving here to North Carolina??? NC has gotten a lot of press as a great place to live. Add in people's getting burned in a housing bubble that will pop over the next 18 months. Won't there be an accelerating number of people moving here from Florida and even California once the credit crunch and housing markets really start to deflate???
Actually the amount of people moving here has slowed recently because of the poor real estate markets in other areas. People in those areas like Ny, NJ cant sell their homes that easy (some not at all) so that prevents them from coming here. That is the biggest thing slowing down housing in NC. CAnt sell cant buy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Wherever it is, I am sure it is cosmopolitan
674 posts, read 52,665 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Typical arrogance. I guess you have to attack me personally when you can't debate with me, based on facts.
Your facts are wrong, again ask the gov't, mayors, and universities, and there was NO personal attack.

Your ridiculous rants got this thread off course, please stay on topic for the benefit of the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Live in VA, Work in MD, Play in DC
694 posts, read 1,484,626 times
Reputation: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Your facts are wrong, again ask the gov't, mayors, and universities, and there was NO personal attack.

Your ridiculous rants got this thread off course, please stay on topic for the benefit of the OP.

He does have a point. Instead of you just saying "ask the government and professors", maybe you could bring up a link showing quotes, data, and statistics to defend your claims? That's how a debate operates.

No proof means no go.

He could say that there really are aliens in outer space! You can just ask the government, the Universities, and the Pentagon. Doesn't help much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Wherever it is, I am sure it is cosmopolitan
674 posts, read 52,665 times
Reputation: 138
You don't even live here, maybe you can get put on probation for trolling other boards.

It's pretty freaking hilarious that you would point that garbage post at me, when metro.m has yet to produce any links either.

Learn to google on your own, I am not your freaking pre-school teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top