Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunchlk View Post
It's still fairly ambiguous though, as you're required to stop at a red circular light as well. Interestingly, the relevant NC General Statute makes no mention of what to do on a red arrow.

At this intersection where 54 meets 15/501, there are 2 stoplights for the merging lanes. When red, they are red arrows. The Google Street View doesn't show it, but there is now a sign in the left most right turn lane (you can see the empty hole on the island in the Street View image) which states 'Stop Here On Red' with an arrow pointing at the painted line. There is not a similar sign for the other lane, whose painted line is about 5 feet further forward. To me that says it's okay for the right lane, but not the left lane (which makes sense as you'd have to cross 2 lanes of traffic).

Then again, in this thread someone got a response from the DMV and they said it varies from municipality to municipality. Of course the last post in that thread is someone commenting that they had just received a ticket for running a red light when it was a red arrow.

My common sense interpretation of all this is, if you're at a regular intersection (4-way) and there's a red arrow, you can't turn right. This is because opposing traffic may be turning left. Once it's safe to turn you'll either get a green arrow or the red arrow will disappear with the main signal goes green. However, when you approach an intersection like I linked to, those red arrows are indicating that both lanes are right-hand turn lanes. The sign indicates the left lane can't turn right on red, but the other lane is okay if traffic is clear.

I'll ask the next officer I see who isn't otherwise occupied.

Additional: Just found this which more clearly explains the issue and seems to be confirmed by this NC DOT page which states:

So, just be sure to come to a complete stop at a red light and if there's no sign stating otherwise, then proceed safely. Again, a red circular light with an accompanying red arrow, to me, would be the same as a 'no turn on red' sign.
I spent way too much time reading up on this. The law doesn't seem to be specific enough but what you posted from the DOT website should be controlling. Red arrows aren't mentioned in the law at all that I could find (unless I'm reading something old) but that doesn't mean you can just ignore them and not stop. This vagueness could work both ways.

The "stop her on red" (aka the R10-6 or R10-6a) is to enhance the signal by showing drivers where the stripe is. That's all that it means. Not having one on the other side just means that for whatever reason they didn't think it was needed.

I do not believe the posts on the other C-D thread you linked to. This is complete bunk:

"Turns from the outer lane on a red arrow are generally ignored by law enforcement but you really should ask local law enforcement their ‘policy’—which varies greatly."

Ignored by law? WTH? Police don't ignore things that are legal they just don't have to worry about them. If that really came from the DOT that person should be fired. That's crap and the traffic laws are set by state statutes and not by 700ish municipalities.

I also don't believe the part about getting a ticket. Could have happened but that doesn't mean it's legal. I would argue that the stop law is either for both or is only for the solid ball and therefore there is nothing in the statute that says you have to stop at all (which of course is stupid). Basically a sign is needed in order for you NOT to be allowed to turn right on red.

If you want even more to read here's an old blog entry from the N&O:

Crosstown Traffic - Right on red? Trust, but verify | newsobserver.com blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 PM

1,094 posts, read 882,670 times
The federal standard is:

Traffic facing a steady red arrow must stop and stay.

Traffic facing a flashing red arrow must stop, and then may move in the direction of the arrow if the way is clear.

If a lighted arrow points in the direction of your turn, that is the only signal that applies to you. You must ignore any circular signals.

Unless any sign indicates to the contrary, turns on red must be made from the lane closest to the curb in the direction of the turn.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 PM

1,094 posts, read 882,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
OK there's an offramp on 485 to W.T. Harris in Charlotte.

There are three lights at the end of the offramp:

Lane 1: Left turn with green arrow
Lane 2: Middle lane straight to re-enter freeway and right hand turn. Has green circle. No arrows.
Lane 3: Right hand turn only. Has green arrow no circle.

All three are three bulb lights.

Surely the third lane doesn't have no turn on red of the second land allows it. Unless of course right hand turns aren't allowed from the middle lane but people do it.
The prohibition from turning on red from a lane not the curb lane applies.

The color and shape of the red signals determine whether or not turns on red are allowed, in the absence of a sign:

- Steady red arrow - no
- Flashing red arrow - yes
- Circular red (right hand signal) - yes

Note that there must be two signal faces with the circular green. If there are not, the intersection does not meet minimum standards.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
The prohibition from turning on red from a lane not the curb lane applies.

The color and shape of the red signals determine whether or not turns on red are allowed, in the absence of a sign:

- Steady red arrow - no
- Flashing red arrow - yes
- Circular red (right hand signal) - yes

Note that there must be two signal faces with the circular green. If there are not, the intersection does not meet minimum standards.
Wait are you talking federal standards or North Carolina law? I don't see where the red arrow is mentioned in the statutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina