Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will christians allow a secular society takover?
No Way! 8 20.51%
Yes, its already happened. 7 17.95%
I hope not 13 33.33%
Lets vote for Christian Leaders. 5 12.82%
You are paranoid! 7 17.95%
The end is near anyway 2 5.13%
I will be caught up in the twinkling 1 2.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:27 PM

16 posts, read 81,275 times

Advertisements

Well, my wife and I have spent the day reading over all the NC forums, and have discovered the exodus of NY Tri-State residents heading south.(not suprised) For the obvious reasons the cost of living has sky-rocketed to obscene amounts of money for everything. In NJ the tax burden is overwhelming, my yearly property taxes for just the school portion is $6000.00 and we have to homeschool just because the school systems are shockingly liberal.

So is NJ in general, I mean our ex-governor came out of the closet amidst the worst tragedy we ever experienced in the area (9-11) and appointed his lover the Head of Homeland Security in a state that was so rocked by those events (By the way his new book is a best seller so I dont want to slam just NJ...... the country seems to be slipping away) to top that off his lover was not even an american citizen. A NJ politician goes down once a week on some sort of corruption charge, I think the attorney general just got fired for fixing her lovers speeding ticket, lol. It is this crazy here, morals and ethics and business etiquette have slipped away here... faraway.

Which brings me to say we read some posts regarding Northeners concerns that it may be too christian in NC. The resulting distaste that would sit in local NC's mouth I feel is quite justified. We laughed because that is probably the main reason we are interested to head south. We are craving a sense of normalcy a place that holds righteousness at its core, a place that I can plant my precious little ones, where they will grow in a environment that puts forth values.

I am not sure if we are the "last of the christian's" here, we have so desperately tried to find a church home, and time after time we leave so desperately dis-appointed because the churches we have visited are dead(If I have missed one please let me know) and we have gotten to the point that the lack of fellowship and a body to contribute our gifts to has really left us in isolation.

I am sorry to push on the religion point here, but it remains to be a void here
for my family. In hopes someone can read this and offer any advice is so much appreciated. I am not seeking a cultish community or anything but a genuine Christ centered wholesome place to raise a family. We love the beach, and prefer being near the coast (at least within an hour or two drive). Additionally a place that has some commerce going on, I am in Sales & Marketing.

Well, thanks for hearing me out, and I look forward to your input.

DD
Good Day

Last edited by Dinkydonuts; 10-01-2006 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 07:34 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times
We have discusses this issue a lot on psat threads- you may hve to go back a few pages, but the discussions were all within the last few months.
I feel this is a more normal place to raise kids & live, and it is not cultish- there are all sorts of protestant congregations, and there are Catholic & Jewish congregations too. I think in Raleigh there is even more diversity, but I do not know any Buddists or Moslems down here yet... I am still getting settled in & I am not in the workforce.

The newspaper (N&O) even has regular columns on issues of faith. They talk about what is going on in local cchurches & synagogues. It is refreshing to me.

People I have met are not pushy about religion but the town I am in, Wake Forest, is built around a Batsit seminary and that certainly colors the plcae. Please, go back & read, we have all discussed this alot!

Old 10-01-2006, 07:49 PM

16 posts, read 81,275 times
Thanks NY
Do you recommend a coastal area that I could research, and also which threads?

Old 10-01-2006, 08:18 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
Other than Wilmington, the costal areas in NC are not very population and may pose a problem in finding a job. In SC, Charleston is very nice. But anywhere along the NC/SC coasts, it's going to be hot and very humid in the summers. Too, the closer you get to the coast, the more expensive housing gets. If those things are not issues for you, look into Wilmington or Charleston. The Raleigh area is about 2 hours from the coast and the Charlotte area (where I live) is about 3.5 hours. Both are awesome areas with good jobs, climate, pro-family, and churches. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkydonuts View Post
Well, my wife and I have spent the day reading over all the NC forums, and have discovered the exodus of NY Tri-State residents heading south.(not suprised) For the obvious reasons the cost of living has sky-rocketed to obscene amounts of money for everything. In NJ the tax burden is overwhelming, my yearly property taxes for just the school portion is $6000.00 and we have to homeschool just because the school systems are shockingly liberal.

So is NJ in general, I mean our ex-governor came out of the closet amidst the worst tragedy we ever experienced in the area (9-11) and appointed his lover the Head of Homeland Security in a state that was so rocked by those events (By the way his new book is a best seller so I dont want to slam just NJ...... the country seems to be slipping away) to top that off his lover was not even an american citizen. A NJ politician goes down once a week on some sort of corruption charge, I think the attorney general just got fired for fixing her lovers speeding ticket, lol. It is this crazy here, morals and ethics and business etiquette have slipped away here... faraway.

Which brings me to say we read some posts regarding Northeners concerns that it may be too christian in NC. The resulting distaste that would sit in local NC's mouth I feel is quite justified. We laughed because that is probably the main reason we are interested to head south. We are craving a sense of normalcy a place that holds righteousness at its core, a place that I can plant my precious little ones, where they will grow in a environment that puts forth values.

I am not sure if we are the "last of the christian's" here, we have so desperately tried to find a church home, and time after time we leave so desperately dis-appointed because the churches we have visited are dead(If I have missed one please let me know) and we have gotten to the point that the lack of fellowship and a body to contribute our gifts to has really left us in isolation.

for my family. In hopes someone can read this and offer any advice is so much appreciated. I am not seeking a cultish community or anything but a genuine Christ centered wholesome place to raise a family. We love the beach, and prefer being near the coast (at least within an hour or two drive). Additionally a place that has some commerce going on, I am in Sales & Marketing.

DD
Good Day
Hi DD! Just in case you didn't remember, this IS the Bible belt LOL
You will definitely have your pick of great church communities in almost any part of NC. Here in Charlotte I can think of quite of few right off the bat I would recommend you visit. They sound like just what you are looking for. Yep, this is one church-going town Actually there is some statistic somewhere about us having more churches per square mile than just about any other state in the union Being in sales (and depending on what particular kind) you would probably do better to focus on the Charlotte or Raleigh areas. Wilmington is the only city of any size on the coast and not that large itself. Another area to consider for good communities and decent schools is over the state line into South Carolina in Rock Hill. Between Rock Hill and Charlotte is the town of Fort Mill - definitely check it out for great neighborhoods and schools. Good luck to you!

Old 10-02-2006, 06:46 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Speaking as a non-religious southerner, I think I should just point out that while yes, overall the south has a bit more religious people than perhaps the northeast, do not get the idea that this will reflect all southerners. You can find a good number of people who believe in secularism here, too.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:16 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,249 times
DD,
Which part of NJ are you from? If you are near Monmouth County, or more South, there are a few really good church communities around.

The churches I've visited here have been wonderful. If you decide to move, I think you'll find looking for a church quite enjoyable. We had trouble deciding which one to join!

Good luck in your whatever you decide!

Old 10-02-2006, 09:35 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:

DD
Good Day

I just want to encourage you to keep looking and you will find the place God wants you to be. We don't live in N.C. yet, but when we get there we'll be looking for a new church too. I believe it is important to bring your childen up with Christian values so don't ever apologize for that. We want to live in the mountains so I guess I wont' see you in church ha. Best of luck to you!

Seek and you shall find

Old 10-02-2006, 10:08 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,487 times
Sorry, but as an evangelical minister, I have to say I find this thread disturbing.
The reason the original poster cited for leaving NJ, is actually the reason one should stay. It's one reason I left a comfortable pastorate in NC to move to NYC.
Where will the culture be when all believers retreat to some supposed evangelical Oz, and leave the secular world to itself.
Seems we are keeping the salt in the shaker on purpose.
Just something to think about.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:05 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times
Quote:
Thanks NY
Do you recommend a coastal area that I could research, and also which threads?
I am too new to the area to recommend any place other than where I am!
There are threads with titles that ask "Any (christians, Jews) in (Raleigh, Charlotte) ... if I recall correctly.
I also think that by browsing on other topics you will find out a lot since there is a lot of overlap in the discussions, as we talk about the character of Yankees versus Southerners, racial issues, etc.

Last edited by NYer; 10-02-2006 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina