U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 AM

239 posts, read 434,176 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retired and looking for an affordable place to live. I have been reading the NC forum for quite a while and the information I have found is geared more toward people who are still working and have children, so the topics have been more about commutes and schools. When I do find questions from people who are retired, they have more income than we do, so it hasn't been that useful. So, I'm hoping someone can answer my questions.

We would like to live in a small town that is not too far away from a larger town and good medical care. We would like a small home and would like to spend about $100K. We have seen listings for houses that seem okay for as little as $65K, but since we don't know the area, we're wondering if those homes are in nice and safe areas. I've Googlemapped and some neighborhoods look nice, but it's really hard to know what they are really like. For instance, I found a few cute older homes in Mebane that appeared to be on nice enough streets.

We're also wondering about utilities. I've read a bit about what people are paying and it seems to vary quite a bit depending on which utility company you have. For instance, Wake Forrest utilities seemed higher than some parts of Raleigh. Also, the property taxes seemed higher there.

I would like a town with a quaint downtown, but that's lower on our list than housing cost, cost of utilities, property tax, etc. My husband likes to fish, but can't hike (bad back), so needs a place to fish that is easy to get to. He's been happy fishing in ponds for smallish fish, so not hard to please.

We've lived in NC before, in Raleigh and Winterville. Raleigh was a bit too big a town for us and Winterville too out of the way. In general, though, we really liked NC. So, we're looking for suggestions on where a retired couple with limited funds can find a nice little house in a nice safe neighborhood in a nice little town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM

23 posts, read 36,907 times
Property tax rates per county
http://www.dor.state.nc.us/publicati..._tax_rates.pdf

You can research various electric companies and ask them what they charge per kwh for electric rates, plus extra charges (there always seems to be something extra in the bill each month ). Ditto with phone companies.

I think I can speak for the retirement factor, considering that my spouse has recently retired and I hope to in a few years.

We live in the Winston-Salem area; Davie County; have since 1997. It is a less expensive region than Charlotte or Raleigh (I have experienced working/living in both) and has all the amenities that a low maintenance couple would look for. And it is surrounded by an abundance of small towns and opportunities for fishing. There are several put-in spots on the Yadkin River for fishing as well as a number of lakes. Forsyth and Wake Forest are expanding their facilities to the west with new medical centers going up right off I-40.

The cheaper houses you see listed might be manufactured or modular homes. There is a large inventory of those on the market. Or they might be mill houses in the textile towns. You shouldn't have a problem finding something for 100k in the W-S area but be warned that the housing situation is a bit scattered. I've seen houses that probably sell for a half-mil situated on the same road as single wide trailers.

I feel we get the best of both worlds. There is plenty of countryside to toodle around on Sunday drives, yet if we want to check out something in Raleigh, like the state fair, it's a very easy 2 hour drive down highway 64 (I wouldn't get on I-40 for any sort of reason. 64 is four lanes once you get past Asheboro and is rarely congested. you just have to watch your speed. the cops love to patrol that route).

I live in Raleigh part time for a job, and enjoy the more diverse restaurants and shopping, but am glad to get back to the W-S area, to my real home. It's definitely quieter.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 13,887,381 times
I've only been here a couple of years but the Sandhills in Moore county is a quiet area with decent shopping, decent but not many great restaurants, great healthcare and affordable taxes.
Unfortunately your not going to find many homes for 100K. You might find a mobile home off a country road for that amount.

Here is one in a golf course community in Jackson Springs.

4 Pine Top Ct Foxfire Village NC - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #150902 - Realtor.com®

Here is one in Jackson Springs with a whole lot of property that someday could be worth a lot.

551 Morganton Jackson Springs NC - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #641603 - Realtor.com®

There's just not a lot in your price range but this is a great area for retirees, good luck.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:14 AM

11,075 posts, read 18,241,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Unfortunately your not going to find many homes for 100K. You might find a mobile home off a country road for that amount.
Agreed. A detached house less than $100K is likely to be run-down or in an undesirable area. I would suggest a mobile home. I believe there are some MH communities geared toward retirees in Moore County (Sandhills). Moore County has an excellent hospital.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:06 PM

10,308 posts, read 18,391,138 times
I too was going to suggest the Sandhills area (Moore county) but don't know what the housing prices are. The Hendersonville area, in the mountains, is said to be another heavy retirement area.

If Raleigh was too big, you probably don't want Wake Forest, since any town in the Triangle is basically doubling in size and congestion every decade or so. If you've lived in Winterville, you might look more in that direction, since Greenville is smaller yet has an excellent health care system.

Mebane, west of Chapel Hill, is another possibility? Not far from UNC, and Mebane in general is very Mayberry-ish if you ignore the stuff out by the highway exits. Also seems to have the cheapest gas prices in the state!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:54 PM

26,192 posts, read 56,410,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
In general, though, we really liked NC. So, we're looking for suggestions on where a retired couple with limited funds can find a nice little house in a nice safe neighborhood in a nice little town.

We would like to live in a small town that is not too far away from a larger town and good medical care.
I'll suggest that you need to turn your phrasing around and look from that end:
The good medical care available in a City... with a nice small town not too far away.

This leaves you the same three (or four) basic choices that everyone else who moves to NC has.
The Triangle, The Triad, Charlotte or (to a lesser extent) Asheville. And by extension...
one of what **used to be** a nearby small town since taken over through municipal expansion.

Quote:
We would like a small home and would like to spend about $100K.
We have seen listings for houses that seem okay for as little as $65K, but...
This is still mostly doable but less so than in years past...
and at either price point you'll need to plan to do some updating work.

As a retirement home though buyers have another level of care to consider:
It really should be "good to go" for 30 years before any major work is needed.
Anything in the $65-100 range won't come that way. Or even close to it.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:03 PM

239 posts, read 434,176 times
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'll look into the areas mentioned.

We were thinking that any home for $65K would need work. If the neighborhood were okay, we would upgrade the home. That way you know what you have. I've seen some homes that were updated with new cosmetics, but it's like putting lipstick on a pig. It was all about form, not function. I'd rather have a new roof, than granite counter tops. I've also seen some newer homes for a bit over $100K, but we don't know the areas. Mebane was one of the towns that seemed nice from what I could tell from Googlemapping.

SilverWingNC, thanks for the info on fishing and the link for property tax rates. I'll be sure to check out Winston-Salem.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:39 AM

742 posts, read 657,742 times
We drifted to Moore County in September of this year from Wake County. I would NEVER go back! This IS the best of both worlds my friend... it really is!!

Take a trip down and see for yourself. We are in the Aberdeen area but there are surrounding towns that are more upscale if that is your liking. Me, I am happy in Aberdeen and visit the upscale places when I want to. I have seen many nice homes in the area for a little bit more than 100k. Go online and read the local paper The Pilot. Lots of good info..

Right up Rt 1 North takes you to Sanford 30 minutes; Apex/Cary is 1 hr. I guess RDU would be a little further but definitely do-able.

We are about 2 1/2 hrs to the beach. Not bad and also do-able.

Hope you will check out Moore County!!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 AM

917 posts, read 2,032,832 times
I live in Oriental, right on the Neuse River, lots of fishing but houses cost a lot. We rent as we have even less money then you do. When we came here we had more, but lost it in the economy downturn. You can however get a decent small house in other parts of Pamlico county, and from what I see in the papers, also in New Bern which is just across the river. New Bern is not a bad town, stuff to do for many different taste levels. Check it out on the coastal section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or