Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:04 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,285 times

Advertisements

It absolutely matters for a great deal of people. Most people would like to live where there people that share your views -- it's hardly a requirement of course - but it's easier than having to be careful what you say, so you don't offend your neighbors. Some people don't care about what people think -- but, it can make life just a little less stressful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 13,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
What your professions? Sounds like that isn't factor in deciding where to live?

Do you want to be in a subdivision, in a town or out in the country with some land?

Are you conservative, liberal or a mixture of these?

How religious are you?

We are in the medical field. We are more concerned with finding some areas we love first and then pursuing employment before we uproot.

We prefer at least a half acre, open to larger sub divisions and would welcome more land.

Politics and religious affiliation are not a deciding factor.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Maybe consider Leland as well. It would be easy to get to New Hanover Medical Center (although, bridge construction was a nightmare earlier this year). Leland is getting more developed, and I'm not sure where the actual town center is, but it's on the other side of the river from Wilmington. Also consider Boiling Spring Lakes and Hampstead. There's Castle Hayne as well if you want land and it's very close to Wilmington downtown.

Burgaw has a very charming downtown ... and the town seems nearly empty except during the blueberry festival. This might be ok for you but I found it somewhat shocking and kind of depressing. It seems like one of those town that has a bustling main street before malls.

Rocky Point is what others said - a location without a downtown?

Wilmington itself may be larger than you want but there are little neighborhoods within that are kind of a small town feel. For example, the Princess Place neighborhood bordered by 23rd Street, Princess Place Drive, a creek, and Shirley Road is a charming little community of 1940s cottages with lovely people - I loved living there, just didn't love living in Wilmington! However, the houses aren't 1/2 acre. But my yard there was I think 1/3 acre.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:12 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,388,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Is it really that important of your political leanings or religious affiliation when deciding where to move to?

Seems to me that employment should be the first real consideration. After that would be location and access to shopping, leisure time activities.

Never did care what church or who my neighbors voted for when home shopping.
Depending where you live at, they passively agressivly care. In Mooresville they wouldn't care about religion or politics etc

And I think he was using "liberal" as in open minded, progressive, forward, accepting of difference VS. conservative bible belt Southern Baptist who are reluctant to accept interracial relationships, birthers, dont like change, etc.

But I don't think Wilmington or Metro Charlotte has any bible belt conservative parts - even the rural sections aren't.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:35 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

But I don't think Wilmington or Metro Charlotte has any bible belt conservative parts - even the rural sections aren't.

Not true about Wilmington - except for certain areas downtown and near downtown, it is VERY conservative, very much the Bible belt. Looking at voting stats doesn't paint the real picture because the more politically liberal parts are also denser in population. There are absolutely areas in Wilmington that would frustrate a liberal

Old 12-27-2012, 01:31 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
Even at a $450k budget, you'll still have a hard time finding 1/2 acre lots in an actual Lake Norman town. The main towns of Lake Norman (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mooresville) are typically larger homes on very small lots. Large lot homes in that area can run well over $1 million. Now, if you're willing to travel a little farther out from Lake Norman's I-77 corridor, you can find some rather decent lot sizes in the Denver NC area. Still though, even many Denver area newer developments are large $250-plus homes on small lots.

To be honest, you might want to look at towns such as Troutman and Sherrills Ford. Those two don't seem to have the same strict land zoning that other Lake Norman communities have. Also (since you're already looking at the Charlotte area) if for some reason you find job opportunities on the southside of Charlotte, I'd highly suggest the Lake Wylie/Fort Mill/Tega Cay South Carolina area. It's the same distance from Charlotte as Lake Norman, you still get public lake access, but you get to enjoy the cheaper property taxes and gasoline taxes of South Carolina. My son goes to school in Charlotte's Steele Creek area (which is not far from Fort Mill at all) and the gas price differences between Charlotte and Fort Mill are simply unreal. We're talking $3.26 per/gallon in Charlotte's Steele Creek vs $2.87 per gallon a few miles away in Fort Mill.

That's all I can think of for now, but if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. This forum has proven to be very helpful for folks with your situation.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,609 times
Have you considered Lake Wylie, like maybe the town like Belmont located outside the city? It is 20 minutes from the airport and uptown Charlotte. The lake is much less congested than Lake Norman.
Take a peek at allen tate website -- they have lovely homes on the lake for sale. The area has good schools and not far from finest restaurants. Advanced Real Estate Search - Kay and Don Westmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townshend2372 View Post
Hey all,

I've been trolling through post picking up tidbits about other people asking about moves. I was hoping someone familiar with the state can help me out a bit more specifically.

My wife and I plan to be in NC by October '13. We have a 10 day trip planned for the end of January to do some exploring.

A quick about us, we are both around 30, we LOVE the water, fitness and the outdoors. We have sold our home here and will be looking for land to build or a beautiful home. Two spots we have decided to visit purely based on our research, are the Lake Norman/Mooresville area and Wrightsville/Wilmington. Two opposites I know. We will be spending nearly 3 weeks in the state before we pick an area so anything helps!

Based on those areas (or other suggestions you may have) Are there any nice small towns/counties within those areas? We are coming from a somewhat small town in CT (Beacon Falls) and are looking for something similar, within 30 minutes or LESS of water/major shopping/nightlife.

Thanks!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 02:52 PM

3,080 posts, read 4,851,029 times
Reading through this thread, it sounds like Wilmington is perfect for you...outdoorsy with an active lifestyle, near the coast, looking for something around 450k and working at NHRMC.

I would get with a realtor in Wilmington and look at the foreclosure list...I know people that have gotten waterfront or great water access in Wilmington area for that price. There are some great deals right now and many of the locals are taking the opportunity to get closer to the water. As well, many of the doctors live in Forest Hills area of Wilmington which is mostly more than half acre lots and has some houses for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina