Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't know if the Southern Culture is changing but the Southern attitude towards the North is certainly the same as it's been for many years. The recent negative votes from the Republican congressmen from NC for the Hurricane Sandy relief fund certainly shows the NC disdain for those people in NY and NJ.
Five NC Republicans voted for it and four voted against it. I don't think you can take that as some evidence of disdain towards Northerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 02:31 AM

910 posts, read 1,318,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Five NC Republicans voted for it and four voted against it. I don't think you can take that as some evidence of disdain towards Northerners.
And to be fair three of the four were newly elected and were doing it to show off their conservative bona fides. Sorta like how the first day in prison you pick a fight with the biggest guy in the yard so everyone else leaves you alone.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 AM

76 posts, read 130,211 times
I hope to God not. I love Southern hospitality. Can't wait to come back.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 PM

68 posts, read 139,376 times
I have been doing some major traveling all over NC and just asking what people think about NC being southern and all this stuff. To tell you the truth I'd never even heard people call it anything else until I came to this website and since then I have been interested in the subject. In all reality I've heard all the answers in the world. It's kinda mid-atlantic and southern I've heard people say its even northern?? But when it came down to it when asking people's opinions whether from people from out of state or in state most people say its southern. If I gave a percentage 85% people said southern. The other 15% were usually saying its a hybrid. But staying southern I think it will stay longer than most people think it will, its the metros that have that problem really.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
I have been doing some major traveling all over NC and just asking what people think about NC being southern and all this stuff. To tell you the truth I'd never even heard people call it anything else until I came to this website and since then I have been interested in the subject. In all reality I've heard all the answers in the world. It's kinda mid-atlantic and southern I've heard people say its even northern?? But when it came down to it when asking people's opinions whether from people from out of state or in state most people say its southern. If I gave a percentage 85% people said southern. The other 15% were usually saying its a hybrid. But staying southern I think it will stay longer than most people think it will, its the metros that have that problem really.
It's ironic that the person who created this thread does not even live here and "has no desire to live here....that should tell you something. I believe this is known as "Stirring the pot".

Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 10,057 times
I consider North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland to the mid atlanitc. Culturally they are very similar and culturally they have nothing in common with Alabama, Mississisipi, Louisiana, Georgia, etc.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuice View Post
I consider North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland to the mid Atlantic. Culturally, they are very similar and culturally they have nothing in common with Alabama, Missississipi, Louisiana, Georgia, etc.
Certain parts of NC are very Southern - mostly the western parts.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuice View Post
I consider North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland to the mid atlanitc. Culturally they are very similar and culturally they have nothing in common with Alabama, Mississisipi, Louisiana, Georgia, etc.
I disagree with this. There are parts of this state and Virginia that are as southern as the states bolded. Now cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, and Asheville are a little different but when you get outside those metros it's southern to the core for the most part.

I do agree that NC and VA are a little more culturally in common, but to say NC has nothing in common with the deep south states is inaccurate.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Western NC is the Appalachian South and shares commonalities with north GA and northeastern AL, while eastern NC is characteristically Deep South and shares commonalities with Tidewater VA, a big chunk of SC, middle and south GA, central and south AL, a nice chunk of MS, etc.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Mostly the RURAL parts, which is the vast majority of NC in area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina