Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,014 times

Advertisements

The wife and I are thinking of moving from Chapel Hill, NC to the Southern Pines area to be closer to some family. We've visited the area and from a commercial standpoint (malls, chains, restaurants) it seems comparable, but I was wondering what the typical weekend might look like for an early 30's couple with three young kids. I don't golf but was curious to see what might be some family and community-type activities in the area. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:41 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsby23 View Post
.... I was wondering what the typical weekend might look like for an early 30's couple with three young kids. I don't golf but was curious to see what might be some family and community-type activities in the area. Any thoughts?
You may not get an answer from this forum, as the median ages in these towns are substantially older than the state averages. The median age is 47, 57 and 54 respectively. That means far fewer families in their 30's with small kids.

I have family in Sanford, and I know they did the usual soccer and softball, family barbecues, etc. Many people have backyard pools, and in areas with larger lots, people keep horses. You might look at the Carolina Lakes area where I believe they have a playground for kids. I would just expect fewer organized activities than you would find in Chapel Hill.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:39 AM

Here's a link to the Moore County Parks and Recreation Department: Parks and Recreation Home

If you will use the public schools, I would have a hard time moving out of Chapel Hill, since it's schools are rated the best in the state. However, Pinehurst ES rates a 10 in Greatschools.org. Southern Pines schools rate 5 and 6, and Seven Lakes/West End schools rate 9's. There are numerous private schools also.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsby23 View Post
The wife and I are thinking of moving from Chapel Hill, NC to the Southern Pines area to be closer to some family. We've visited the area and from a commercial standpoint (malls, chains, restaurants) it seems comparable, but I was wondering what the typical weekend might look like for an early 30's couple with three young kids. I don't golf but was curious to see what might be some family and community-type activities in the area. Any thoughts?
It's been quite a few years since we were in our 30's so I am out of touch with what that age group does to entertain their kids on the weekend.

I do know a lot of people in this area are into boating and horseback riding is very popular. We have some very nice parks here,lots of sports in the warm months. We have a very nice theater in Southern Pines and a beautiful park surrounding the lake.

Here's a link to some photos of the area.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sout...w=1039&bih=471

Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Personally, having grown up in Fayetteville and now living in Chapel Hill, I can't imagine moving from here to there. I am not fond of the Sandhills terrain or temp (it will definitely be hotter there — the Sandhills are usually one of the hottest places in the state) and I think you would have far less activities in Pinehurst/Southern Pines (with the exception of golf) than you will in the Triangle. Also if your family is in the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area it's an easy day trip from Chapel Hill. I drove to Fayetteville for the day all the time and it's further than going to SP. So, no I wouldn't do it. It's just 1 hr 15 minutes from CH to SP. I also don't think SP is comparable in terms of malls and restaurants. CH has some of the best restaurants around and Southpoint offers a lot more stores than anything in SP if you're into shopping (which I am not). For boutique stores SP might be similar.

However, YMMV. There certainly are many people who are happy in the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area. I think it has quite a number of military families who choose to live there instead of Fayetteville/Ft Bragg.

Last edited by poppydog; 01-02-2013 at 07:40 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM

Forgot to mention, but the local hospital, First Health of the Carolinas has a great fitness center. It offers swimming lessons in the indoor pool for kids 3-12, and has other childrens programs. Link here: FirstHealth of the Carolinas - Health & Fitness - Pinehurst - Swim Lessons

Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
My dad now lives there, and we had a lake house there when I was growing up, so I have spent a lot of time in that area.

I think your kids would be bored to death in no time, especially coming from Chapel Hill and if you don't golf. Yes, there are things to do, including horseback riding, but unless you actually lived on a lake (which I would recommend) and did boating things, I really don't know what the kids would do there. I have a stepnephew who actually got into some mild "gang trouble" partly, I suspect, because he was bored after his mother moved down to be near her mother (my stepmother). He ended up dropping out of school and getting a GED. Not that this is anything but one data point, but I never heard of him ever having any real hobbies.

Yes, the area is growing, but it's mostly retirees and adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina