Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 05:40 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
You would take Raleigh over Charlotte? Care to share why?
Always wondered why some people prefer Raleigh over Charlotte myself. To me personally there is no comparison. Raleigh has some cool spots though.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I'm not a Charlotte fan. My spouse grew up in Charlotte and all my in-laws live there still so pretty familiar with the Queen City as we travel there quite often. We live in Chapel Hill now and definitely prefer the Triangle to Metrolina. Raleigh would get my vote over Charlotte, but I'd rather be in Chapel Hill. I do like IKEA, but not a pro-sports fan, much prefer the college/academic more liberal atmosphere in the Triangle. There are certainly worse places to live in NC, but Charlotte would be down in the middle of my "i could live there" list. Lots of places would be on my "no way" list. Only a few would be on my "i'd like to try it" list.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:46 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I'm not a Charlotte fan. My spouse grew up in Charlotte and all my in-laws live there still so pretty familiar with the Queen City as we travel there quite often. We live in Chapel Hill now and definitely prefer the Triangle to Metrolina. Raleigh would get my vote over Charlotte, but I'd rather be in Chapel Hill. I do like IKEA, but not a pro-sports fan, much prefer the college/academic more liberal atmosphere in the Triangle. There are certainly worse places to live in NC, but Charlotte would be down in the middle of my "i could live there" list. Lots of places would be on my "no way" list. Only a few would be on my "i'd like to try it" list.
I can respect that. I was just wondering whysome would pick Raleigh over Charlotte and vice versa. The Triangle definitely had more of a liberal college vibe and Charlotte id more of a professional, corporate, moderate city. Charlotte has IKEA but Raleigh has H&M.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Charlotte has IKEA but Raleigh has H&M.
A store would definitely not be why I'd choose one city over another.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 AM

28 posts, read 65,989 times
Both areas have a lot of positives and are among the fastest growing areas in the country. They should both be proud. I will say for myself as someone who wants to live in a more urban environment Charlotte has the edge. But there is a lot to love about both areas and they both do North Carolina credit.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,422,669 times
I grew up near Charlotte, but I prefer the Triangle because it is more liberal, hip, and well-educated. I also like it more because it is fairly close to DC and the Northeast Corridor.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
A store would definitely not be why I'd choose one city over another.
While normally I would agree with that, but this is H&M

Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCJones View Post
Both areas have a lot of positives and are among the fastest growing areas in the country. They should both be proud. I will say for myself as someone who wants to live in a more urban environment Charlotte has the edge. But there is a lot to love about both areas and they both do North Carolina credit.
Without a shadow of a doubt both areas are something to be proud about. NC is basically growing so fast because of these two areas. As a Charlottean I give Raleigh it's props. I understand some who prefer one city would not like the other. But really with these two it just depends on the line of work that you do that would determine which city would be better for you.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,054 times
First, "Raleigh-Durham" isn't a city.

Anyway, Charlotte reminds me of Raleigh AND Durham combined but much bigger.

Considering that Raleigh (and Durham) have two things Charlotte doesn't have -- state government headquarters and multiple MAJOR research universities; Charlotte is doing great. Also, from a land use/transportation standpoint, Charlotte makes Raleigh look like a kindergartner. When cities all over the world were building stadiums and arenas downtown, Raleigh put their arena in a place where only people with a car can access it.

Overall, no comparison...in my humble opinion.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Raleigh is a about 2.5x smaller than Charlotte and Charlotte is more dense. Charlotte is growing in, Raleigh is growing out.

Size isn't everything at all, but when you're the same metro size, it's pretty telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina