Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:52 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Charlotte? Not so much.
The following is from only 1 major news station in the Triangle. The other stations plus the News and Observer would've been too much.

Charlotte trolley runs through history :: WRAL.com

Wheels of Fortune: Part 2 :: WRAL.com

Charlotte Coliseum Goes Out With A Bang :: WRAL.com

Triangle Gets Advice on Getting Commuter Rail Back on Track :: WRAL.com

Could Charlotte Help Reduce Prostitution in Durham? :: WRAL.com

Local Leaders Turn to Charlotte for Transportation Matters :: WRAL.com

Public Transit Works in Charlotte, Area Leaders Learn :: WRAL.com

New Light-Rail Zips Fans to Bobcats Arena :: WRAL.com

Mayor: Raleigh to Make Another Play to Host CIAA Tournament :: WRAL.com

ACC Fans Praise Charlotte Venue :: WRAL.com

Officers on Segway Provide Tournament Security :: WRAL.com

BIG happenings in Charlotte :: WRAL.com

Charlotte withstands shaky week on Wall Street :: WRAL.com

Tourists flock to Carolinas Raptor Center :: WRAL.com

Charlotte loop to be built with private funds :: WRAL.com

Headline Saturday: Is Mass Transit the Triangle's Future? :: WRAL.com

DNC leaders consider Charlotte for convention :: WRAL.com

Queen City rolls out welcome mat for DNC :: WRAL.com

Security in Charlotte :: WRAL.com

And let's not forget our random Raleighites who decided to take their opinions onto youtube...

Taxi Driver says Raleigh is greater! - YouTube

Sir Walter Raleigh with Queen at Raleigh Wide Open - YouTube

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 03-19-2013 at 04:31 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,414,204 times
when people in DC or NYC ask me if they should move to Raleigh or Charlotte, I try to gauge what they value. If they are looking to move to an area that is culturally and politically progressive, well-educated, close to the Northeast big city corridor, and offers an affordable vibrant suburban lifestyle, I recommend Raleigh or Durham. If they desire to live in a place that has a big city vibe *(relative to NC), mass transit, professional football and basketball, a vibrant city center, high rise condos/apartments, national profile, a major airport, and a populace that aggressively tries to make its hometown into the next great big city, then I recommend Charlotte.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:29 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Urby Dude, you joking right?

I don't have the free time on my hands to go tit for tat with you but your many links to "news stories" doesn't prove your point or disprove mine. There is a HUGE difference between trying to copy another city (or try to be "like" it) and learning from other cities successes - that is what all city leaders do EVERYWHERE. It makes sense doesn't it? The same could be said for Charlotte. You don't think it is a two way street? I recall a local news show that had Pat McCrory and Mayor Meeker on once a month and the two would share their thoughts and ask each other questions on their respective city issues. It wasn't a competition. It was two leaders doing what leaders do. You don't think city leaders at Charlotte look at programs, projects, and initiatives undertaken in similar smaller and larger cities to learn from those experiences. You must have a lower opinion of your city leaders than I do. But hey, if you want to point to random youtube videos as evidence go for it. I once saw a video on there of a pig rescuing a goat. It does provide some level of entertainment though the educational value is low.

I think Charlotte is a great place, but worry about how it is percieved by others given the odd take some of it's residents exhibit on city-data. I live in Raleigh and stand by my previous post. People aren't sitting around all day thinking about how to make this place like Charlotte. No amount of silly "news" stories is going to change what is actually going on. Nice try though.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:00 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkman View Post
Sure it will. Raleigh itself may be Charlotte's little brother, but the Charlotte metro area is only about 25% larger. As a city, Charlotte is not so unique that things done there can only be done there. The metros are also far enough apart that Charlotte getting something does not eliminate the need to have one in the Triangle too. So, we'll see the cities, and metro areas, have similar levels of amenities - Charlotte will just get them first. And with time, who knows. Charlotte may take off and leave Raleigh/the Triangle in it's dust. The Triangle may take off and overtake Charlotte. Given time, who knows. Never is a long time after all

When it comes to amenities Charlotte is in a different league... I'm sorry but it's not even close...

Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 AM

160 posts, read 235,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
When it comes to amenities Charlotte is in a different league... I'm sorry but it's not even close...
Sure, Charlotte may be ahead of the Triangle on some things. I'll give you that Charlotte has light rail, NASCAR, and a more dense CBD. But Raleigh's got a state capital, larger university structure, and better collegiate sports. But to say that Charlotte is dramatically ahead of the Triangle - Nope. To say that Charlotte has a level of amenities that the Triangle never will - Nope.

A 25% larger metro population for Charlotte doesn't put it in a whole different league. If it did, that would be like saying Atlanta's 6M people to Charlotte 2.5M (150% larger) puts Atlanta 6 leagues ahead of Charlotte.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times

Jesus weeps.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM

He's weeping about the swinging dick on this stupid thread. He's crying for you, NRG.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
He's weeping about the swinging dick on this stupid thread. He's crying for you, NRG.
I'd cry for you to, but you are beyond saving.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'd cry for you to, but you are beyond saving.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
hmm...
Attached Images

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina