Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 05:41 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,263,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Wake's eventual push past Mecklenburg will likely be tied to the extension of 540 across the southern part of the county. That's where I expect the lion's share of growth to be in the future: Holly Springs, Apex, Fuquay-Varina and the area south of Garner.
I wonder just how much of both counties' growth is tied to 485 and 540? If in fact these loops are drivers (no pun intended)in growth, it would make sense that Mecklenburg is delaying Wake's overtake since its loop is closer to being completed and has opened up more land to suburban development.
You may be on to something here. Once I485 becomes complete you could see Cabarrus county become way more dense than it is. I don't want to exaggerate but it could become the 2nd most populated county in NC in Metrolina. Of course time will tell. IMO, if a commuter rail is needed anywhere it would be to Concord. See the urban areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Charlotte vs. Raleigh?-image.jpg  

Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM

Southpark is adding another building. That is three office announcements since last year. IMO, this is Charlottes second market in the Charlotte region. Check it out.

Spectrum planning new office building in SouthPark - Charlotte Business Journal
Attached Thumbnails
Charlotte vs. Raleigh?-image.jpg  

Old 04-05-2014, 07:47 PM

601 posts, read 957,113 times
NCDOT has released a preliminary ranking for upcoming transportation projects, and their scores. Going by the statewide mobility score, several Triangle projects are at the top. However, a few major Charlotte area projects are also ranked highly, like the Independence Blvd and I-77 widening. It is interesting that pretty much all of the top 20 are projects from the Triangle and Charlotte region. I guess the two biggest metros will finally receive the funding they need for transportation:

NCDOT: Strategic Transportation Investments

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...%20CHANGE.xlsm

Top 20:
  1. I-40 (Construct Aviation Pkwy NB to I-40 WB Loop Entrance Ramp in Ne Quadrant)
  2. I-40 (Convert Existing interchange to a Diverging Diamond; Airport Boulevard)
  3. US-70 (Upgrade Existing at-Grade intersection to interchange; Brier Creek Parkway)
  4. I-440, US-1 (Install Ramp Meters; Wade Avenue)
  5. I-77 (Reconstruct interchange to DDI; NC-150)
  6. US-15 Fordham Boulevard, US-501 (Upgrade Road to "Superstreet"; East Lakeview to Sage Road)
  7. NC-68 (Widen from 4 Lane Divided to 6 Lane Divided; Market Street to Pleasant Ridge Road)
  8. I-40 (Widen 6-Lane Freeway to 8 Lanes; I-440 to Lake Wheeler Road)
  9. I-85 (Modify interchange; US-321)
  10. I-540 (Convert Freeway to tolled Facility and Widen to 8 Lanes)
  11. US-70 (Upgrade Arterial to Freeway; Alexander Drive to I-540)
  12. US-421 (Reconstruct interchange; Peace Haven Road)
  13. US-74 (Upgrade Corridor to Provide Additional Capacity and Safety Improvements. Includes Improvements to extend Krefeld Drive from existing Krefeld Drive to Sardis Road North, and improvements to Arequipa Drive/Northeast Parkway from Margaret Wallace Road to Sam Newell Road) *The other section of Independence is ranked at 21
  14. I-40 (Construct Managed Lanes; NC-147 to Wade Avenue)
  15. US-1 Capital Blvd (Upgrade Roadway to Freeway; Durant Road to Burlington Mills Road)
  16. I-85 (Widen to 8 Lanes; NC-273 to US-321)
  17. NC-132 College Road (Construct An Additional Northbound Through Lane on College Road from Shipyard Boulevard to Wilshire Boulevard)
  18. I-485 (Construct one Express toll Lane in Each Direction within the Existing Median; I-77 to US 74)
  19. Billy Graham Parkway (Upgrade At-Grade Intersection to Interchange; West Boulevard)
  20. US-1 Capital Blvd (Upgrade Roadway to Freeway; I-540 to Durant Road)
The rankings are a draft, and are subject to change. More projects will be added by state officials over time.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 AM

Big ups to the Triangle and Metrolina. Both have 2 hospitals in the top 100 hospitals in the nation. NC as a whole had 5 in total. It looks like once again the Piedmont is showing itself as the premier region in NC for urbanization, technology, and healthcare. This is really great news for the state and it's two Great regions.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...terian-on.html

Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Here is one of the potential downfalls of the location close to SC, at least for NC. The plus for SC is that it is close to Charlotte. LPL financial is considering moving to Fort Mil. Fort Mill is quite a town to watch in the future. Some other towns in Metrolina with the ability to be relatively significant centers are Lake Norman area (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, and Mooresville), Fort Mill, Weddington, Indian Trail, and Kannapolis.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,028,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Here is one of the potential downfalls of the location close to SC, at least for NC. The plus for SC is that it is close to Charlotte. LPL financial is considering moving to Fort Mil. Fort Mill is quite a town to watch in the future. Some other towns in Metrolina with the ability to be relatively significant centers are Lake Norman area (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, and Mooresville), Fort Mill, Weddington, Indian Trail, and Kannapolis.
Clearly SC benefits more from its proximity to Charlotte than vice versa.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:27 PM

37,798 posts, read 41,542,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Clearly SC benefits more from its proximity to Charlotte than vice versa.
Tell that to all the Charlotte folks who really cross the border for cheap gas, fireworks, and to hit up MB and Charleston.

But seriously, this is just how things tend to work in metros where the principal city is on the state line, like NYC, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Memphis, etc.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 PM

No surprise here. The Triangle and Metrolina are leading NC in the new jobs gained since the recovery. This could potentially be good news for NC, but I wonder what would happen if an economic recession were to hit something that affected both Charlotte and the Triangles bread and butter industries.

Charlotte, Triangle hogging majority of new jobs during recovery - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,308,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Tell that to all the Charlotte folks who really cross the border for cheap gas, fireworks, and to hit up MB and Charleston.
While they continue to commute to Charlotte for work, shopping, eating, and extended entertainment offerings.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:35 AM

37,798 posts, read 41,542,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
While they continue to commute to Charlotte for work, shopping, eating, and extended entertainment offerings.
We know that; my point is that traffic flows southward as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina