Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:45 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,505,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The food has been an issue for many visitors and there are plans to change that next season.

Quote:
"The park will be revamped to celebrate Carolina culture including new rides and attractions, signature Carolina food offerings and entertainment."
Carowinds world's tallest and fastest giga coaster Fury 325 - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

I'm not sure what "signature Carolina food offerings" mean, but it's safe to assume that real BBQ might become a regular item.
We might even have a bigger difference of opinion about what is REAL BBQ. But hopefully they will have both types lol.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 PM

37,798 posts, read 41,550,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
We might even have a bigger difference of opinion about what is REAL BBQ. But hopefully they will have both types lol.
There are more than two styles of BBQ found throughout the Carolinas.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There are more than two styles of BBQ found throughout the Carolinas.
There is only one good kind. Eastern style. Then everything else. Is that better lol.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:15 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,420,853 times
Bill Spoon's Barbecue
5524 South Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28217
(704) 525-8865

It is the best eastern style in Charlotte. They cook the all the pig. When I want good Bar-B-Q this is where I go. Eastern style is my favorite pork Bar-B-Q

The Q Shack in Promenade on Providence & I485 has good beef brisket, but not as good as I got in Texas.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:46 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,264,586 times
Quote:
Ok. That's cool. Top 10 based on population. I'd rather be top 10 period.

Downtown Raleigh’s arts district comes of age | Arts & Culture | NewsObserver.com

By the way Durham or Chapel Hill not included in ranking. That wouldn't even be a fair fight lol.
Not to take anything away from The Triangle, because that is an awesome feat, but being in the top 10 for the Arts District still does not equate to having a top 10 cultural offerings. There are various things to consider. The Triangle doesn't have anything to compete with in regards to Carowinds or the Whitewater center. As far as museums go I'll give a slight edge to the Triangle especially since some of the museums are free. The arts district is nice for Raleigh although NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, Southend, 7th Street outside of Uptown, and Dilworth still offer a bit. Including also Concord, Mint Hill, Rock Hill, Davidson, Cornelius, Matthews, Huntersville, Gastonia, and Belmont there are quite a re options for culture.

Once again, that is not to take away from an awesome job that Raleigh did. Perhaps I'll check that out this weekend when I'm in the area. But Carowinds alone will draw more tourists than that arts district, and the money is where it matters. Additionally, Charlotte doesn't necessarily need to have a top 10 arts district to be a great city. It does need a quality arts district, which is subject to interpretation. Once again kudos to Raleigh for such an awesome feat.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Not to take anything away from The Triangle, because that is an awesome feat, but being in the top 10 for the Arts District still does not equate to having a top 10 cultural offerings. There are various things to consider. The Triangle doesn't have anything to compete with in regards to Carowinds or the Whitewater center. As far as museums go I'll give a slight edge to the Triangle especially since some of the museums are free. The arts district is nice for Raleigh although NoDa, Plaza-Midwood, Southend, 7th Street outside of Uptown, and Dilworth still offer a bit. Including also Concord, Mint Hill, Rock Hill, Davidson, Cornelius, Matthews, Huntersville, Gastonia, and Belmont there are quite a re options for culture.

Once again, that is not to take away from an awesome job that Raleigh did. Perhaps I'll check that out this weekend when I'm in the area. But Carowinds alone will draw more tourists than that arts district, and the money is where it matters. Additionally, Charlotte doesn't necessarily need to have a top 10 arts district to be a great city. It does need a quality arts district, which is subject to interpretation. Once again kudos to Raleigh for such an awesome feat.
The whitewater center and Carowinds, cultural please! Tourist attractions yes. That's a stretch. As for the museums it more than a slight edge. There's no museum in Charlotte that is even close to N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences. Largest of its kind in southeast. 1.2 million visitors annually.
North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would put Chapel-Hill/Carrboro up against all those places combined. That you listed.

The N.C. State Fair offers a lot more culturally than Carowinds and the Whitewater center offer.
My fav the food,music,art,crafts.

Charlotte got a lot of stuff. Cultural offerings????????

Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
The whitewater center and Carowinds, cultural please! Tourist attractions yes. That's a stretch. As for the museums it more than a slight edge. There's no museum in Charlotte that is even close to N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences. Largest of its kind in southeast. 1.2 million visitors annually.

I would put Chapel-Hill/Carrboro up against all those places combined. That you listed.

The N.C. State Fair offers a lot more culturally than Carowinds and the Whitewater center offer.

I can see that you may not be impressed with Carowinds or Whitewater center. But they are cultural. Here is the definition of culture:
the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.

If we go by this definition are you denying that engineered mechanisms such as roller coasters and other amusements at Carowinds, which are also present at the State Fair that you prefer, is not a statement of human achievement and expression? The Whitewater Center may not also appeal to you but this is also an expression of sub-culture. Now that I'm thinking about there is also a huge racing culture here, drag racing and stock car, that I forgot to mention. Because a particular culture may not speak to you doesn't negate it's significance or importance in the greater scheme of things.

Charlotte definitely doesn't have anything to offer concerning The State Museum of Science. The Discovery Place comes to mind which could be just as educational but the State Museum is free where as Discovery costs. Advantage State Museum. I am interested in your hypothesis of how the State Fair offers more culturally than Carowinds. As far as Chapel Hill/Carroboro I don't doubt you'd be right but I think you may be more ignorant of those offerings and I'm sure you'll find these places are well fit to serve their populations and be an interesting draw for the Charlotte area. Does the Triangle have an aquarium? The Charlotte area does albeit nothing to really brag about.

The point I'm driving at, which I don't expect for you to concede to, is that Charlotte does offer a nice amount of cultural offerings; especially when compared to the Triangle. Now, for a metro of roughly ~2.5 million it does leave much to be desired. But it is getting there. Additionally the Levine Museum of the New South, Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, Mint Museum Uptown, and the Harvey Gantt Center for African-American Arts do provide some great culture for the area. Also Alive after 5 is a great uptown gathering at the Epicentre for working professionals. For this area once the hotels are finished this place will only take off.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 PM

I was trying to find a more recent ranking. But Charlotte is the top ranked metro in NC when it comes to economic vitality. Of course, since NC had the 9th fastest growing real GDP economy in the nation I'm quite confident the majority of this growth is due to the Triangle and Charlotte metros. So I'm sure a more current ranking will differ. But this is the most recent I could find.

Charlotte remains NC's top metro on economic-vitality index - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,862,181 times
@adavi215 Carowinds and the white water center are awesome, but they are tourist attractions, I do like Charlotte's districts outside of downtown(uptown) such as NoDa, Southend, Dilworth, etc but Raleigh has comparable areas. As far as Concord, Mint Hill, Rock Hill, Davidson, Cornelius, Matthews, Huntersville, Gastonia, and Belmont, In my opinion Durham, Chapel Hill, and Carboro offer more culturally.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,435,025 times
Quote:

I would say that the state fair would be a contender but isn't it only for a couple of days?????? Carowinds is mostly all year-round and then change to scareowinds
Oh i forgot you didn't see the press release of Fury 325. Carowinds has the culture of nc-sc as it draws from a much higher pool of people. Man I swear your the only person I know that uses the word Culture all willy-nilly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina