Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:54 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,434,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Raleigh's downtown area, according to Raleigh Alliance is 3 mile radius. It contained 96,000 residents.

Charlotte in 1 radius is 78,577. In 2 miles 115,521. I'd be curious to know what Charlotte would be at 3 miles. You start cutting into the majority of the Midwood section of Plaza, it includes sedgefield, almost all of Myers Park & Eastover, CommonWealth, Chantilly, Sugar Creek, Druid Hills and smaller neighborhoods. That's from Charlottes Center City Partners.

Charlottes daytime population (workers, visitors, etc) dwarf Raleighs probably by a huge, huge margin.
it really is. Take a look here and were on the top 20's list

https://www.census.gov/hhes/commutin...pop-change.pdf

http://ui.uncc.edu/story/commuting-c...3-counties-msa

This is only from 2006 -2010 and that puts our population way over a million but now i know its higher now with Mecklenburg county hitting a million back in 2013. There was a article that a read a month ago that reported that our City population rises by a third from 6.30 to about 9 at night. when i find the article ill post the link.

Last edited by choloboy36; 09-06-2014 at 11:09 AM..

Old 09-06-2014, 11:00 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,503,899 times
Quote:
Oh, I continue to assert Charlottes CBD, which here is 1 mile, center city (downtown area is 2 miles) then the 3 miles out has no name. It just goes by the neighborhood, is on a different level than Raleigh.

Our office workers alone outnumber nearly 3 to 1. Our tourist numbers are double or more of Raleigh's, our hotel room count is probably double. Our population, it could be double to triple (I don't have the stats to Charlottes population 3 miles out which is what Raleigh considers downtown). That starts adding up to way more people which puts it on a different level...

The tallest building there built (and I don't think there are any plans now) is skyhouse. We even get double of that hideous thing. And our population growth (by numbers) will again be double to triple of Raleighs.

That to me sounds on a different scale. You always say "everything there is uptown".... Well, then I would think you would then conclude there is a much larger daytime population, residential, tourist, workers, etc.

Daytime population is important because it counts tourist and the amount of people in the city which adds to the atmosphere, supports retail and makes it more lively. It's like judging Myrtle Beach on its residential figures and assuming it must be a sleepy town. Meanwhile, it's very very active with tourist.
Your facts are off in 2 areas. First the Edison office building and the Charter Square North tower. Will be taller than Skyhouse. Second this conversation was about growth. Not which is bigger now. Or how many people work there.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Raleigh's downtown area, according to Raleigh Alliance is 3 mile radius. It contained 96,000 residents.

Charlotte in 1 radius is 78,577. In 2 miles 115,521. I'd be curious to know what Charlotte would be at 3 miles. You start cutting into the majority of the Midwood section of Plaza, it includes sedgefield, almost all of Myers Park & Eastover, CommonWealth, Chantilly, Sugar Creek, Druid Hills and smaller neighborhoods. That's from Charlottes Center City Partners.

Charlottes daytime population (workers, visitors, etc) dwarf Raleighs probably by a huge, huge margin.
Would you add in the 35,000 at NCSU in daytime. Since we are expanding the area. Not to include just DT? I have no doubt there are more people in and around uptown. With 40.000 at work in RTP. Another 20,000 in surrounding area.

Also quick math 13 projects UC/Completed by 2015. At an average of 300 units(some have more some less)=3900 units. Kinda close to your 4000 huh? Still waiting to see this drastic difference in ongoing development. I wish you would show it already so we can move on to another subject. Lol

Old 09-06-2014, 11:58 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,340,234 times
No one is expanding the area....

Downtown Raleigh Alliance considers downtown Raleigh to be an entire 3 mile radius... Center City partners considers Downtown Charlotte 1 Mile radius AKA uptown.

I was saying if we assumed both were 3 miles, 1 mile or 2 miles how they would compare. Downtown Raleigh would has about 66% more land area than downtown Charlotte, if we go by each cities standards of downtown. We call the 2 mile radius downtown area, or center city, after that, it's not considered downtown anymore.

I would be more interested to know the actual downtown numbers (because Raleigh's downtown is not 3 miles radius). There's actually a thread on the Raleigh forum about what is downtown population. I'd look it up but I'm on a mission today.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:24 PM

I was just thinking. All the awesome growth going on DT. But we still have SO much of our history left. We did lose Clyde Coopers. Not officially historic. But a true loss. I think it's a good mix of old and new. That is something Charlotte can never match. Once it's gone it's gone! I found this video on YouTube. It's kinda grainy and doesn't show everything but its ok. It shows about 10% of our historic structures. Just a sample.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-HuLwGtxD0c

Last edited by Atowwn; 09-06-2014 at 12:38 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 01:33 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,505,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I was just thinking. All the awesome growth going on DT. But we still have SO much of our history left. We did lose Clyde Coopers. Not officially historic. But a true loss. I think it's a good mix of old and new. That is something Charlotte can never match. Once it's gone it's gone! I found this video on YouTube. It's kinda grainy and doesn't show everything but its ok. It shows about 10% of our historic structures. Just a sample.
You're exaggerating; Raleigh is not the second coming of Charleston, or even Wilmington for that matter. While Charlotte did raze too much within Uptown in particular, it still has more left than what people give it credit for. The city has done an especially good job in preserving and reusing most of its old mills, for example.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:56 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,417,628 times
Look like Charlotte may getting its second trolley line.

A nonprofit group of trolley lovers called Lakewood Trolley Inc. is working to get the car 85 placed permanently on an abandoned piece of former streetcar track. They plan to run it from Cedar Street in uptown’s Third Ward 2 miles northwest to the 29-acre Martin Luther King Jr. Park in what some residents are beginning to brand as the Historic West End community. It would run along the county-owned Stewart Creek Greenway.

Car 85

Old 09-06-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're exaggerating; Raleigh is not the second coming of Charleston, or even Wilmington for that matter. While Charlotte did raze too much within Uptown in particular, it still has more left than what people give it credit for. The city has done an especially good job in preserving and reusing most of its old mills, for example.
What am I exaggerating?????

Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,434,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Look like Charlotte may getting its second trolley line.

A nonprofit group of trolley lovers called Lakewood Trolley Inc. is working to get the car 85 placed permanently on an abandoned piece of former streetcar track. They plan to run it from Cedar Street in uptown’s Third Ward 2 miles northwest to the 29-acre Martin Luther King Jr. Park in what some residents are beginning to brand as the Historic West End community. It would run along the county-owned Stewart Creek Greenway.

Car 85

Nice but question though. I looked at Google maps and clicked on the transit feature but it doesn't show our light rail line. But if you look at NYC it shows the map for there's and the same with Atl. So I guess it favors heavy rail or something. Just curious to why doesn't show ours. I wonder will it be the same with both of our street car lines as well. Google maps not showing it

Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,417,628 times
Here is the map that will show you the approximate route it will take from Cedar Street to MLK Park. Car 85 was the last trolley to run in Charlotte before the line was closed. It has been restored an ran to uptown form South End before the Lynx line was built. It is using old trolley line that was used in Charlotte in the early 1900s.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina