Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:52 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm. I'm not so sure about this. I like to call it as I see it.

Charlotte has NO clout in the parts of Mecklenburg county that are not Charlotte. It has no clout in the South Carolina part of the Metro. It has no clout in Union, Cabarrus, Iredell, Catawba, Lincoln, and Gaston counties. These places attract development and transplants by telling them, we are better than CLT.

The current Charlotte city council has demonstrated time and time again that it is unwilling and unable to work with anyone beyond the I-485 perimeter and there is a large portion of that outer area, Ballantyne, that is actually looking to secede from Charlotte. These people highly resent the taxation with little representation where most of the money is spent on sports franchises and social programs for the highly irresponsible in the East & West.

I can't say that Raleigh is any better since I don't live there. I suspect that it isn't but it will take a brave soul from there to admit it.

Maybe a better way to phrase it is a bigger pocket book (not just from the population bt major economic engines like the airport & Ballantyne etc) to carry out its iniatives with. It seems to me like Raleigh would have to coordinate with more governments, towns & counties to accomplish some goals that in Charlotte it's just within one city in one county.

Our light rail, for example, is only in Charlotte. I would imagine a triangle light rail would go through mutiple cities and maybe creep into 2 counties. That seems a little harder to accomplish than it is just being all in city limits. If our light rail were to cross mutiple towns and to another county, I'd have a hard time imagining it would have been built yet because of our lack of relations with the other towns and counties in the region.

Like I wonder the effects if Cary was part of Raleigh. How (if) the resources would have been distributed, would it have gave Raleigh a better ability to carry out its initiatives or if it would have all turned out the same.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:33 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
These people highly resent the taxation with little representation where most of the money is spent on sports franchises and social programs for the highly irresponsible in the East & West.
Are these the words of Ballantyne residents or your own, particularly the part about "social programs for the highly irresponsible in the East & West"? And what kinds of social programs are funded and carried out by the city anyway?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:33 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Are these the words of Ballantyne residents or your own, particularly the part about "social programs for the highly irresponsible in the East & West"? And what kinds of social programs are funded and carried out by the city anyway?
That statement struck a nerve with me as well. Especially, generally speaking that is, the population makeup of the East and West. It just sounds interesting to say the least.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional..._metro0914.png
Yet another chart that shows how these two areas of NC are essentially carrying the state.
I was just about to place this as well. Raleigh grew faster but Charlotte added more. I can't say as a whole if it added more than the Triangle but I can figure it out later. These two areas really are carrying the state. Especially when all jobs that have been added to the state are in these two regions. No where else, and I'm not exaggerating, added jobs. In one case this is amazing how powerful these two areas are and it's sad that there could be a tale of two states within one. And I should add I am talking about net jobs created since the Great Recession.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:57 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Are these the words of Ballantyne residents or your own,....
These are my words based on observations of the area.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:45 PM

So the new MSA GDP figures are out. I do want to point out that this is not exactly an apples to apples comparison of Charlotte to the Triangle but just the metro economies that make up each area. The micros for each are not accounted for.

Charlotte $139,022 billion
Raleigh-Durham $109,123

Just to put things into perspective and to further explain why the Triad is not mentioned in this comparison.
Greensboro $38,032
Winston $27,056

Basically as you can see Raleigh itself has a larger economic impact that Winston and Greensboro. Raleigh is at $66,878 and Durham having 200k less than Greensboro has about $4 billion more. The total Triad area is $70,261 including the Burlington metro.

Back to the Triangle and Charlotte. It is not clear who is the bigger engine in NC since a good portion of the Charlotte MSA is in SC. I also want to add that Charlotte is closing the gap on St Louis and could pass it up in the next few years.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:56 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Siemens commercial on CNBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjmL...x3MHg9jzFcHuQQ

Old 09-18-2014, 03:15 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Nice. Most was in Charlotte anyways Lol. Good national coverage for the city.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:46 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
Nice. Most was in Charlotte anyways Lol. Good national coverage for the city.
Ok. With great pain! I must admit Nice commercial. The QC's looking good in this one.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:04 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Ok. With great pain! I must admit Nice commercial. The QC's looking good in this one.
Wait UMM MR ATOWWN are we hearing you correctly. I you giving praise to Charlotte Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina