Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:09 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,419,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Are you serious? Now your grasping at straws. The arena not downtown. I thought we got past that. This honestly not worth responding to. But I'll give 2 quick ones. Shaw University DT Raleigh. WUNC T.V. As I said not worth responding to.
Are counting RTP as downtown Raleigh?
UNC-TV
10 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC

Old 09-19-2014, 05:18 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,504,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
We have already been down this road. 30 of these amenities can found at Carowinds. 10 can be found at The Whitewater center. Over 300,000 sq/ft of it can be found at Ikea. The atmosphere of it all can be found uptown. The highend shopping aspect can be found at South Park. The shop-entertainment aspect can be found at Concord Mills.

There are two annual golf tournaments here that attract thousands. Great Wolf lodge's indoor waterpark attracts a crowd as well. The bike share and light rail brings a coolness factor to Charlotte that no other NC area has (though Greenville SC does have a bike share too). Let's not forget NASCAR and NHRA drag racing.

The number of large conventions tend to go to Charlotte (something that Raleigh continues to struggle with). Charlotte's airport is a major factor for individuals and corporations. Urban living options are more numerous in Charlotte than in Raleigh. Lakefront living is also more numerous in metro Charlotte. Mass transit as a whole is far better in Charlotte which makes Charlotte a no-brainer to those who either don't wish to drive or can't drive. There's plenty more, but I honestly don't have the time at the moment.
I will concede Carowinds and IKEA, and whitewater center. But let's not blow 30 amenities please. Your really stretching now!

As for shopping 6 shopping malls, 2 outlet malls, plus shopping centers like North Hills,Cross Roads,and Cameron Village. I think we're good on shopping.

Oh golf tournaments like the Jimmy V Celebrity Golf Classic, or The Rex Hospital Open.(PGA EVENT)

Great Wolf Lodge pretty good, Morehead Planetarium or Durham Museum of Life & Science. Take your pick.

Large Conventions.how About 100 marathons and road races the Iron Man Triathlon for example.

Drag races. There is Benson Drag strip. Being totally remodeled as we speak I believe. Reopening 2015.

Urban living plenty in Raleigh,Durham,and Chapel Hill. Take your pick.

Lake Front living. Plenty around Falls Lake. But our lakes are mostly for everyone not just rich people.

NASCAR. 4 division 1 college football teams.

Last thing transit. Charlotte's transit is better. But it doesn't seem to help the traffic gridlock. Also most people want to and can drive. I'll put our 2 belt lines with bypasses to all areas up against your transit any day. When rush hour begins at 4:30 or 5. Instead of 3:00. Please let me know.

Bike Share is in advanced planning stages. Should be a year or so I hope.

Airport. As far as industry we do just fine. 1237 jobs announced yesterday. You have more direct flights. But they cost A LOT MORE! My last flight would have been over $300 more from there. Had to change planes in ATL. direct flight back. For $300 I'll get off the plane once.(2 tickets)

Almost forgot. When you get a 10 day event with 1.1 million visitors please let me know.
N.C STATE FAIR

If I missed anything please let me know. Thanks

Last edited by Atowwn; 09-19-2014 at 05:51 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Are counting RTP as downtown Raleigh?
UNC-TV
10 TW Alexander Drive
Research Triangle Park, NC
No Shaw University DT. UNC TV in the Park

Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 PM

North Carolina

Old 09-19-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
North Carolina
Ok. And this means?????????????????

Must be a nice little program they have there. Now that we are on schools.

UNC
NC STATE
DUKE
N.C. CENTRAL
SHAW
ST AUG
ST MARYS
MEREDITH COLLEGE
WILLIAM PEACE
LOUISBURG COLLEGE
CAMPBELL LAW SCHOOL
WAKE TECH
DURHAM TECH
JCC
VANCE GRANVILLE CC

it's probably not a good idea to mention colleges. That's a fight you can never win.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:22 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,274,149 times
To be honest, Raleigh's look, feel, amenities, and visitor spending has more in common with Greensboro than Charlotte...

Old 09-19-2014, 06:23 PM

I said in uptown not near uptown. JC Smith University is on the other side of I77 less than 1mile but I did not count it because it is not in uptown.

Last edited by CLT1985; 09-19-2014 at 06:39 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
To be honest, Raleigh's look, feel, amenities, and visitor spending has more in common with Greensboro than Charlotte...
That's weak! Just like your list was! Oh ok. That's all you got lol. I got it now. WEAK URBANCHARLOTTE. You are going to do better than that. I will add this. Just as your airport promotes industry. Our 15 colleges and universities do the same. Every company that moves here says one big factor is the great talent pool already in place.Keep trying. I look forward to your next attempt.

Last edited by Atowwn; 09-19-2014 at 07:35 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 PM

I do think anyone here would say the big 3 universities in the triangle are tops in Education. My son went to NC State. My wife, daughter, and niece went to Meredith College.
I also have family that went to UNC Chapel Hill.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I said in uptown not near uptown. JC Smith University is on the other side of I77 less than 1mile but I did not count it because it is not in uptown.
Well you need better sources. Shaw is DT SORRY. it's right next to Duke Energy Center. William Peace on corner of Peace and a Wilmington st. Both 100% DT. N.C State maybe a mile from DT at best. Not sure what being DT matters. But anyway this map shows where both DT colleges are. Campbell law school not on map. It's on Hillsboro St by Clarion Hotel(now holiday inn)

http://www.raleighconvention.com/ass...aleigh-map.jpg

St Aug is more than a mile from DT. Someone on my side is cooking just a little lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina