Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times

Advertisements

Colleges and University that at located in Charlotte or have an Extended Programs.
Programs
Charloptte
Charlotte School of Law
UNC Charlotte
Queens University
J.C Smith
Johnson & Wales University
Central Piedmont Community College
Union Presbyterian Seminary
King's College
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary (Charlotte)
New Life Theological Seminary
Reformed Theological Seminary
Southern Evangelical Seminary (Charlotte)
The Art Institutes
Connecticut School of Broadcasting
University of South Carolina MBA Program
Wake Forest MBA Program
Pfeiffer University
Montreat College
DeVry University (Charlotte)
Northeastern University
Strayer University
ECPI (Charlotte)

Metro
Davidson College
Barber–Scotia College
Belmont Abbey College
Cabarrus College of Health Sciences
Catawba College
Clinton Jr. College
Gaston College
Livingston College
Rowan Cabarrus Community College
South Piedmont Community College
Wingate University
Winthrop University
York Technical College
Pfeiffer University

Old 09-19-2014, 06:56 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
It's fairly simple. Look at the calendar of events for Charlotte this weekend alone vs Raleigh/Durham. Then look up the Triad's events. Do this for the next 51 weekends (1 year) and there's your answer.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:14 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Colleges and University that at located in Charlotte or have an Extended Programs.
Programs
Charloptte
Charlotte School of Law
UNC Charlotte
Queens University
J.C Smith
King's College
The Art Institutes
Wake Forest MBA Program
Pfeiffer University
Montreat College
Northeastern University
Strayer University
ECPI (Charlotte)

Metro
Davidson College
Barber–Scotia College
Belmont Abbey College
Catawba College
Clinton Jr. College
Gaston College
Livingston College
Wingate University
Winthrop University
York Technical College
Pfeiffer University
USC also has a professional MBA program in Uptown.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:38 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It's fairly simple. Look at the calendar of events for Charlotte this weekend alone vs Raleigh/Durham. Then look up the Triad's events. Do this for the next 51 weekends (1 year) and there's your answer.
More nonsense. More making bold statements. That don't turn out to have much of anything behind them. Your usual. Big talk just like that list.

Your right. There's never anything to do here. No concerts or events! Except when Lorde was at Redhat DT. and Tom Petty was at PNC Arena. On the same day! I think Dirty Dancing was at DPAC. I may be mistaken but I think the N.C Symphony played at the Duke Center.

Tonight Brandford Marsalis at DT Raleigh with N.C.Symphony. And tomorrow. I might go see that myself. Plus a list of live bands all over the Triangle as long as my arm.

Before you make such statements do a little research please

Last edited by Atowwn; 09-19-2014 at 08:42 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 08:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Im not saying Raleigh doesn't have lots of events, just talking from experience that Charlotte does have a lot of special events that I can't even keep track of. Today an art festival started at Freedom Park, Thursday @ Romare park the Charlotte symphony will play a free concert Americana themed songs and afterwards they'll play a Captain America movie. My mother will be in town from Ohioso in excited to have 2 days with her to show her how great & fun center city is. She's already been to Carowinds, white water, the gold mine, etc.

My favorite thing about center city is the greenway from uptown to Park Road shopping center. I like the stores at that center.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 09-19-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Programs
Charloptte
Charlotte School of Law
UNC Charlotte
Queens University
J.C Smith
King's College
The Art Institutes
Wake Forest MBA Program
Pfeiffer University
Montreat College
Northeastern University
Strayer University
ECPI (Charlotte)

Metro
Davidson College
Barber–Scotia College
Belmont Abbey College
Catawba College
Clinton Jr. College
Gaston College
Livingston College
Wingate University
Winthrop University
York Technical College
Pfeiffer University
I would put the big 3 up against all of these by themselves. A lot of the ones listed are here too. Ecpi for example. Also Strayer, DeVry

Old 09-19-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
More nonsense. More making bold statements. That don't turn out to have much of anything behind them. Your usual. Big talk just like that list.
Here's some advice. Just go out and enjoy your city. Don't be so concerned with whether or not your city measures up to what's happening in Charlotte, London, Tokyo, or Mayberry. Go and enjoy Raleigh the same way that I enjoy Charlotte.

With that said, here are a few cell phone pics of uptown that I took this afternoon. The first pic shows how far the streetcar line has come along. The 2nd pic is just a regular shot of the LYNX train that I rode in on.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Here's some advice. Just go out and enjoy your city. Don't be so concerned with whether or not your city measures up to what's happening in Charlotte, London, Tokyo, or Mayberry. Go and enjoy Raleigh the same way that I enjoy Charlotte.

With that said, here are a few cell phone pics of uptown that I took this afternoon. The first pic shows how far the streetcar line has come along. The 2nd pic is just a regular shot of the LYNX train that I rode in on.

Good idea. I'm not concerned about how my city measures up. Never have been. You seem to think Charlotte is on some grand level. Something you can never seem to show. I challenged you to put up or shut up. You didn't put up much. Lots of big talk without much to back it up. In fact if Charlotte was on the level you say. I should have NO ANSWER for anything you say. We all no that just not true. I have never and will never say The Triangle or a Raleigh is out right superior to Charlotte or it's metro. You shouldn't either until you can come up with some facts and not just big talk. Maybe you should come up more. You obviously don't know all the Triangle gas to offer. My girlfriend is from Charlotte and I'm there often. So I have a good idea what's there. Not everything but a good idea. Honestly there are a few things there that are better. But there are quite a few here also. So in short when you get some new material let me know. I have to go now. Just found out Dave Chappelle us coming to DPAC.Got to get some tickets to see that nobody. He's not really a big star. But he's the best we can do!

Old 09-19-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Almost forgot. When you get a 10 day event with 1.1 million visitors please let me know.
N.C STATE FAIR

If I missed anything please let me know. Thanks
I'm not going to comment on the state fair other than to simply say that Charlotte isn't missing a thing...

Afterburn At Carowinds - YouTube

Intimidator Front Seat on-ride HD POV Carowinds - YouTube

TOUR of Carowinds Water Park Boomerang Bay - YouTube

Just for the record, Carowinds wiki page states that there are 65 different rides at the park (30 or so are worth mentioning IMO). When it comes to roller coasters alone, Fury 325 will be the park's 15th coaster.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Good idea. I'm not concerned about how my city measures up. Never have been. You seem to think Charlotte is on some grand level. Something you can never seem to show. I challenged you to put up or shut up. You didn't put up much. Lots of big talk without much to back it up. In fact if Charlotte was on the level you say. I should have NO ANSWER for anything you say. We all no that just not true. I have never and will never say The Triangle or a Raleigh is out right superior to Charlotte or it's metro. You shouldn't either until you can come up with some facts and not just big talk. Maybe you should come up more. You obviously don't know all the Triangle gas to offer. My girlfriend is from Charlotte and I'm there often. So I have a good idea what's there. Not everything but a good idea. Honestly there are a few things there that are better. But there are quite a few here also. So in short when you get some new material let me know. I have to go now. Just found out Dave Chappelle us coming to DPAC.Got to get some tickets to see that nobody. He's not really a big star. But he's the best we can do!
I'm so proud of Raleigh (actually Durham to be exact). Now, when 4 comedy legends make a movie in your city, congrats; the Triangle just did what Charlotte did 14 years ago.

The Original Kings of Comedy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And just for fun, I looked up that Dave C show in Durham. It's almost 2 months away!!! Dude, please don't tell me that was the biggest and most recent event you could find in the Triangle. Anyways, you can watch Mike Epps at Bojangles Coliseum tomorrow at 8pm and then watch the Panthers vs Steelers Sunday night at 830. Carowinds is still open, so during daylight hours you could take your kids and the wife there to kill some time before the two evening events.

^^^This is why visitor spending is the fastest, easiest, and most accurate way to measure the "visitor appeal" of an area. No matter how much you think is going on in the Triangle; odds are it's probably less than any US county with more visitor spending. Meck's visitor spending is greater (far greater to be exact) than Wake, Durham, and Orange counties' visitor spending combined; there's your first clue.

The Triangle certainly gets events and things to do (never did I say that the Triangle doesn't). All I've ever said is that Charlotte has superior amenities (ie, more things to do for the average visitor and its residents). If you still don't understand what I'm saying; understand this much. Charlotte took Raleigh's biggest annual sports-block party, made it bigger and more popular, and then became the headquarters for the darn thing. Maybe Charlotte should do the same with the state fair that you love so much? Hmmmmmmm?

Here's the truth; you don't want Raleigh to get into another head-to-head competition with Charlotte over a tourist attraction. Enjoy your city and let it go my man....

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 09-19-2014 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina