Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:28 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
One thing that is counted into the quality of life for a city is public transportation. I was surprise to see Chapel Hill was second largest public transportation System the state of NC .

Wow, I'm surprised That CATS is so much larger Even when combining Durham, Chapel Hill & Capital Area transit systems. (and if you combined those numbers, you'd have to add Gastonia Transit & Concord Transit systems to our column for a fair comparison)

And that was 2009. I think CATS has grown a lot since then.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:39 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This is true. Still though, I'm shocked that CATS carries more passengers than Chapel Hill/Raleigh/Durham/Greensboro/Winston-Salem combined.
I'm not. Some people still like the freedom of driving. To be able to go and come whenever you wish. Not be on someone else's schedule. To live and work wherever you wish. That's why we build those things called roads lol. With the traffic there I see why people ride public transportation.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:48 PM

601 posts, read 964,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I'm not. Some people still like the freedom of driving. To be able to go and come whenever you wish. Not be on someone else's schedule. To live and work wherever you wish. That's why we build those things called roads lol. With the traffic there I see why people ride public transportation.
That's such a non sequitur response. A city can have both a solid mass transit system, along with an intricate network of roads. Charlotte's Blue Line, along with their buses, have probably done more good for our roads, since that means less people driving, and less cars on the road. Even people who own cars take the light rail to work, at these things we call Park and Rides.

But that's not a knock at Chapel Hill. Ironically enough, them and Durham will probably have their light rail, before Raleigh gets theirs.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:08 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
If you get a 2014 report next year and take the bus + Lynx it would been even greater than 2009 report.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
That's such a non sequitur response. A city can have both a solid mass transit system, along with an intricate network of roads. Charlotte's Blue Line, along with their buses, have probably done more good for our roads, since that means less people driving, and less cars on the road. Even people who own cars take the light rail to work, at these things we call Park and Rides.

But that's not a knock at Chapel Hill. Ironically enough, them and Durham will probably have their light rail, before Raleigh gets theirs.
Last time I was there it didn't look like it did much good. But if I had to choose I'd rather have better roads then better transit. I think that's the direction the Triangle gone in. As for Durham Chapel Hill having rail first. I wouldn't bet on that quite yet. There is a little movement in Wake Co. Plus according to my understanding Durham/Orange co. Really need Wake Co for the plan to really work. Either way I would probably never ride it. Or at least not ride it often. But I would be a supporter of the plan. Also wouldn't have a beef with the tax hit I would surly get nailed with. Actually I am a transit supporter. For the betterment of the community but it's just not my thing. Did the big city subway thing on a go everywhere transit system in NY. I'd rather be free to drive. When i go out in the Triangle or Charlotte I may want to stay out late. Past 2am. How would I get home? Don't like being on a curfew.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:43 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
There are a lot of (suits) that ride the express buses and Lynx. You would be surprise how many people depend on our bus/rail in Charlotte. If you think about it our tax money also builds roads.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Last time I was there it didn't look like it did much good. But if I had to choose I'd rather have better roads then better transit. I think that's the direction the Triangle gone in. As for Durham Chapel Hill having rail first. I wouldn't bet on that quite yet. There is a little movement in Wake Co. Plus according to my understanding Durham/Orange co. Really need Wake Co for the plan to really work. Either way I would probably never ride it. Or at least not ride it often. But I would be a supporter of the plan. Also wouldn't have a beef with the tax hit I would surly get nailed with. Actually I am a transit supporter. For the betterment of the community but it's just not my thing. Did the big city subway thing on a go everywhere transit system in NY. I'd rather be free to drive. When i go out in the Triangle or Charlotte I may want to stay out late. Past 2am. How would I get home? Don't like being on a curfew.

Cab, carpool, bike or walk. That's why late at night there are dozens of cabs along College but hardly any in the day.

And this is the disconnect between you & some of the Charlotte posters and I've come to realize you can't comprehend urban planning.

I plan on being car free starting next May. It's not because I particularly care about the environment (I don') but it's a lifestyle. I want to be able to go down stairs from my condo and have a restaraunt. Walk a couple blocks to trader joes & Target. Bike to work, bike to wherever I need biking in some cases is faster.

Obviously you don't value the same things I do. To me; the best modes of transportation are greenways. I would love, love expanding our greenway on a massive level.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:20 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
It's not just traffic; it's economics. Here are some numbers to consider.

Per capita income in Raleigh
$30,306 ($14.57 an hour; 40 hour week)
16.3% persons below poverty
$208,000 median home value
Raleigh (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Per capita income in Charlotte
$31,653($15.22 an hour; 40 hour week)
16% persons below poverty
$173,200 median home value
Charlotte (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

^^^Based on these numbers alone, both Charlotte and Raleigh have tons of residents who are probably looking at ways to save a buck. Now, let's look at the expense of the average mighty auto.

median car note---$450/month
median full coverage insurance-$150/month
median fuel expense-$125/month
Total-$725/month (and I intentionally left off taxes, repairs, and parking fees to prove a point).

Charlotte transit's level of service is "good enough" to allow thousands to live/work/play in Charlotte without vehicle ownership. A monthly (unlimited rides) transit pass for working adults is $88 in Charlotte. I'm sure it's cheaper in Raleigh, but you get what you pay for.

At any rate, a transit rider saves on average $637/month in Charlotte vs the average vehicle owner. That's a savings of $7,644/year which is 24% of the city's per capita income. Whether you agree with these numbers or not; the truth is that mass transit coverage is an important component of an area's quality of life.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Cab, carpool, bike or walk. That's why late at night there are dozens of cabs along College but hardly any in the day.

And this is the disconnect between you & some of the Charlotte posters and I've come to realize you can't comprehend urban planning.

I plan on being car free starting next May. It's not because I particularly care about the environment (I don') but it's a lifestyle. I want to be able to go down stairs from my condo and have a restaraunt. Walk a couple blocks to trader joes & Target. Bike to work, bike to wherever I need biking in some cases is faster.

Obviously you don't value the same things I do. To me; the best modes of transportation are greenways. I would love, love expanding our greenway on a massive level.
I'd rather drive my own car thanks. Or ride with a DD. As far as comprehending. I comprehend just fine. Let me spell it out for you. I DONT GIVE A FLIP ABOUT URBAN PLANNING! Is that clear enough for you? Everyone doesn't stay up at night thinking about urban planning. As you say you do. Maybe you need to comprehend getting a life! I like being free to go and come as I choose.

By the way I do all that right now. I walk to work. When the weather is nice. Also to drug store,movies,dinner/bar,Earth Fare,Target and Wal Mart. So I live the life you desire now. But I also will always have my car. I do ride my bike on occasion but mostly walk.

By the way I'm pretty sure the triangle has the best greenway system in N.C.. You can ride from one side of the Triangle to the other. I'm not trying that but I'm sure someone dose.

I'll tell you what. Get rid of your car. I'll keep mine. Everyone will be happy. Can you comprehend that

By the way I have lived in a REAL urban environment NY CITY. So excuse me if I'm not impressed.Can you comprehend that?

Last edited by Atowwn; 09-25-2014 at 08:46 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It's not just traffic; it's economics. Here are some numbers to consider.

Per capita income in Raleigh
$30,306 ($14.57 an hour; 40 hour week)
16.3% persons below poverty
$208,000 median home value
Raleigh (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Per capita income in Charlotte
$31,653($15.22 an hour; 40 hour week)
16% persons below poverty
$173,200 median home value
Charlotte (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

^^^Based on these numbers alone, both Charlotte and Raleigh have tons of residents who are probably looking at ways to save a buck. Now, let's look at the expense of the average mighty auto.

median car note---$450/month
median full coverage insurance-$150/month
median fuel expense-$125
Total-$725/month (and I intentionally left off taxes, repairs, and parking fees to prove a point).

Charlotte transit's level of service is "good enough" to allow thousands to live/work/play in Charlotte without vehicle ownership. A monthly (unlimited rides) transit pass for working adults is $88 in Charlotte. I'm sure it's cheaper in Raleigh, but you get what you pay for.

At any rate, a transit rider saves on average $637/month in Charlotte vs the average vehicle owner. That's a savings of $7,644/year which is 24% of the city's per capita income. Whether you agree with numbers or not; the truth is that mass transit coverage is an important component of an area's quality of life.
This is going to probably make you pass out. But on this point you are right. We are in agreement. It doesn't fit my lifestyle. But for someone who is just starting out. Trying to. work and not making a lot of money it's great. I will also admit our transit could stand some work. Especially for the people a little lower on the economic scale.

But for the vast majority we would rather gave the freedom that comes with driving. As I said I am a supporter of transit. Light Rail/Bus. I will vote for the tax increase. For the betterment of the Triangle. If for no other reason, so the Triangle can stay the premier metro in N.C.. Gridlock would kinda mess that up lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina