Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 10:40 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dude, Raleigh is not Charleston compared to Charlotte, which is what it almost seems as though you're saying. The difference in the historic urban fabric for both cities is pretty minimal really.
Dude it is! Going by the Wikipedia list I linked to. I count 125 historic listings. In Raleigh alone. Compared to 98 in all of Mecklenburg Co. Not to mention most of the historic districts in Raleigh are quite large. Oakwood for example. The difference is far from minimal.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Downtown Troy, Ohio has way more and older historical homes than Raleigh & Charlotte and a lower crime rate. Doesn't Make it any bigger than us.

And the article about Charlotte being the next Atlanta, it wasn't necessarily talking about the composition or scope of the city but becoming a major destination like Atlanta (Chicago:Minneapolis, NYC:Philadelphia, Denver:Salt Lake, Seattle:Portland, Atlanta:Charlotte)

If it would've been Raleigh is the next Atlanta, the posterboy representative of Raleigh would be th first person doing the can can.

Office projects between SouthEnd & Uptown is now 7 projects. 4 in uptown proper, 3 in SouthEnd. 2 of the office towers will be above 25 floors, 2 will be 14-22 floors, the others are in the 5 story range. 3 of the office projects (27 floors, 22 floor & 14 floor will be on the border of Uptown & SouthEnd and development will look and feel seemless between uptown & SouthEnd
Troy, Ohio please. You are really trying hard man. Bigger bigger bigger. Is that all you know. Also you forgot one thing. It's more history, less crime, and most importantly much better job market/unemployment rate. Get it right.

Those projects you list should that impress me? Well it doesn't. Raleigh alone can match that. Downtown/Midtown. Raleigh is not really into putting everything DT to try to give the impression of being bigger than it really is.

Y'all like to point out how uptown and the CLT airport are bigger. Also them both being the engines of your economy. Well it looks like they both need a tune up

Old 10-04-2014, 11:24 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Charlotte was a small city until the early 1900's when it passed Wilmington in population. If you are not very big, you want have a lot of old building.

A lot of the early pictures of downtown Charlotte, the building you see, probability would not pass building codes to day. So if a building is old and can be use-full that's one thing, but if can not be made so it could be made todays standards, there is no need for it stand there and fall down due to neglect.

Any major city in the US has replaced old building with a new buildings. Charlotte has saved soon old buildings uptown,. I was not in Charlotte before 1985 so I don't know what was torn down was worth saving.

Raleigh & Wilmington both have torn down old building in their downtown area. So does that make these cities bad? NO

Old 10-04-2014, 11:51 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Dude it is! Going by the Wikipedia list I linked to. I count 125 historic listings. In Raleigh alone. Compared to 98 in all of Mecklenburg Co. Not to mention most of the historic districts in Raleigh are quite large. Oakwood for example. The difference is far from minimal.
No, it's not. Nobody's visiting Raleigh for historic tourism. And it should also be noted that a lot of Raleigh's historic buildings are institutional in nature (government and educational), which makes sense because it's the state capital. In terms of commercial buildings, houses, and churches, there's little to no difference between the two cities. Also, all of Charlotte's historic neighborhoods aren't listed on the national register.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:07 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Troy, Ohio please. You are really trying hard man. Bigger bigger bigger. Is that all you know. Also you forgot one thing. It's more history, less crime, and most importantly much better job market/unemployment rate. Get it right.

Those projects you list should that impress me? Well it doesn't. Raleigh alone can match that. Downtown/Midtown. Raleigh is not really into putting everything DT to try to give the impression of being bigger than it really is.

Y'all like to point out how uptown and the CLT airport are bigger. Also them both being the engines of your economy. Well it looks like they both need a tune up

All of your downtown Raleigh is small compared to Charlotte's, 3x smaller in scale, transportation system lags way behind, 2-3x less people, 2-3x less workers, 2-3x less tourist, a lot fewer bars, retail, clubs. It's small. It's tiny.

You're right. Bigger is not better. So get over Raleighs downtown being tiny compared to ours. You still have Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill and all the other areas.

You're so eager to tell us "who wants everything in downtown" yet at the same time pretend Downtown Raleigh has everything. Much smaller.

You act as though our buildings are just decorations. Just their for looks as if no one actually works or live in those building.

It's getting tiring hearing you living in fantasy land of Raleigh being just as big. Because you have Historical houses with a bar in it in your Central Business district. Most places don't have houses in their Dowtown. It's generally just the big buildings, you know, because it's the business district.

You pretend your Dowtown is 5 miles or whatever big. Laughable. That's as funny as trying to act like all of Charlotte city limits are all urban and whatnot.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, it's not. Nobody's visiting Raleigh for historic tourism. And it should also be noted that a lot of Raleigh's historic buildings are institutional in nature (government and educational), which makes sense because it's the state capital. In terms of commercial buildings, houses, and churches, there's little to no difference between the two cities. Also, all of Charlotte's historic neighborhoods aren't listed on the national register.
Wrong. City of Raleigh Museum is in a historic building. Pope House is a museum. Mordecai and Oakwood are clearly tourist attractions. Also the Capital along with the Executive Residence. You can say there is little to no difference all you like. But the facts don't seem to back that claim up. If you really want to be honest. It's nit even close. If you want to live in a fantasy that your thing. Refer back to my list of historic buildings in DT. Most are neither government or educational. I don't see what difference that makes. Also on that list I don't think I listed any of the old churches DT. Depending on you definition of historic the are 3-5 in DT.

If you could come up with a list of 10 historic buildings uptown. I would be amazed. I could come up with 10 on Fayetteville St alone. Not Charleston. But between Raleigh and Charlotte no contest.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
All of your downtown Raleigh is small compared to Charlotte's, 3x smaller in scale, transportation system lags way behind, 2-3x less people, 2-3x less workers, 2-3x less tourist, a lot fewer bars, retail, clubs. It's small. It's tiny.

You're right. Bigger is not better. So get over Raleighs downtown being tiny compared to ours. You still have Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill and all the other areas.

You're so eager to tell us "who wants everything in downtown" yet at the same time pretend Downtown Raleigh has everything. Much smaller.

You act as though our buildings are just decorations. Just their for looks as if no one actually works or live in those building.

It's getting tiring hearing you living in fantasy land of Raleigh being just as big. Because you have Historical houses with a bar in it in your Central Business district. Most places don't have houses in their Dowtown. It's generally just the big buildings, you know, because it's the business district.

You pretend your Dowtown is 5 miles or whatever big. Laughable. That's as funny as trying to act like all of Charlotte city limits are all urban and whatnot.
That made no sense???????

Those buildings are just decoration. If they really were important your job market would be better.
But we know that's not the truth. In comparing two cities the economy is the most important factor to most people. Which city,metro,and region in N.C.. Has CLEARLY the best economy? Not bigger but CLEARLY BETTER

I looks like all the things you listed above aren't getting it done.

Can't fight with y'all all day time to go DT and be bored to death at the bluegrass festival .

Old 10-04-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Wrong. City of Raleigh Museum is in a historic building. Pope House is a museum. Mordecai and Oakwood are clearly tourist attractions. Also the Capital along with the Executive Residence. You can say there is little to no difference all you like. But the facts don't seem to back that claim up. If you really want to be honest. It's nit even close. If you want to live in a fantasy that your thing. Refer back to my list of historic buildings in DT. Most are neither government or educational. I don't see what difference that makes. Also on that list I don't think I listed any of the old churches DT. Depending on you definition of historic the are 3-5 in DT.

If you could come up with a list of 10 historic buildings uptown. I would be amazed. I could come up with 10 on Fayetteville St alone. Not Charleston. But between Raleigh and Charlotte no contest.
Let's put this to rest: Survey Designation List

That's over 225 historic structures in Mecklenburg County, easily. All of them aren't on the National Register but it doesn't mean they aren't historic.

Clearly you don't know the first thing about Charlotte because the National Register omits many historic structures in Charlotte. Not even all of the historic churches on Tryon Street are on the Register, like St. Peter's Catholic and Episcopal churches (built in 1893 and 1895, respectively), the original First Baptist Church which is now McGlohon Theater (1909), and First ARP Church (1927) which is now the McColl Center for Visual Art.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:03 PM

Historic buildings in Uptown:

Advent Christian Church (First Ward, 1919)
Armature Winding Company Complex (Third Ward, 1924)
Bagley-Mullen House (Fourth Ward, 1895)
Paul and Holly Beatty House (Third Ward, 1911)
Berryhill House (Fourth Ward, 1884)
Builders Building (Fourth Ward, 1927)
Philip Carey Building (First Ward, 1907)
Old Carolina Theater (First Ward, 1927)*
J. P. Carr House (First Ward, 1903)
Charlotte City Hall (Second Ward, 1925)
Old Charlotte Cotton Mill (Fourth Ward, 1880)
Crowell-Berryhill Store (Fourth Ward, 1897)
Old East Avenue Tabernacle ARP Church (Second Ward, 1914)
Old First ARP Church (Fourth Ward, 1926)*
Old First Baptist Church (First Ward, 1909)*
First National Bank Building (Third Ward, 1927)*
First United Presbyterian Church (First Ward, 1894)
Frederick Apartments (Fourth Ward, 1927)
Gateway and Century Buildings (Fourth Ward, 1924)
Grace AME Zion Church (Second Ward, 1902)
Hovis Funeral Home Building (First Ward, 1925)*
Johnston Building (Third Ward, 1924)*
Latta Arcade (Third Ward, 1914)*
Liddell-McNinch House (Fourth Ward, 1890)
Little Rock AME Zion Church (First Ward, 1911)
Lyles-Sims House (Fourth Ward, 1867)
Mayfair Manor (Fourth Ward, 1929)*
Mecklenburg County Courthouse (Second Ward, 1928)
Mecklenburg Investment Company Building (Second Ward, 1922)
North Carolina Medical College Building (Fourth Ward, 1907)
Overcarsh House (Fourth Ward, 1880)
Poplar Apartment Condominiums (Fourth Ward, 1930)
Query-Spivey-McGee Building (Second Ward, 1902)
Ratcliffe Florist Shop (Second Ward, 1929)*
Old St. Peter's Hospital (Fourth Ward, 1892)
St. Peter's Catholic Church (First Ward, 1893)*
St. Peter's Episcopal Church (Fourth Ward, 1895)*
Second Ward High School Gymnasium (Second Ward, 1948-49)
John W. Sheppard House (Fourth Ward, 1899)
Shotgun houses (First Ward, 1898)
Sloan-Davidson House (Fourth Ward, 1890)
Charles H. and Bess Smith House (Fourth Ward, 1923-24)
Stratton House (Third Ward, 1930)
Thies Building (First Ward, 1921)*
William Treloar House (First Ward, 1887)
Young-Morrison House (Fourth Ward, 1889)

* located on Tryon Street

Old 10-04-2014, 02:57 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
When (at that time First Union was building First Union 3 building) they took the Ratcliffe Florist Shop (Second Ward, 1929)*pick it up and moved it across Tryon Street. Then they b built a large under ground parking garage. after the parking garage was built they move Ratcliffe Florist Shop back across Tryon Street and you can find it under the Radcliffe Condos facing Tryon Street. Yes Charlotte does save some of its old buildings.

112 Tryon Plaza 1926 Still there.

A lot of retail moved out of uptown starting in 70s to the 80s. Ivey's department store was converted in condos. Now they are taking 2 floors and converting them into a hotel.

Dunhill Hotel was open in November 1929 as The Mayfair Manor, boasting a light-handed touch of glamor and elegance in a difficult financial period: ten stories, terrazzo tile on the first and tenth floors, and 100 rooms that boasted their own bathrooms and radios In 1987, it was purchased by Dunhill Hotel Associates, who began a complete gutting and re-tooling of the property, creating the 60-room and decidedly more luxurious hotel that stands at 237 North Tryon St.

But the demand for office space in uptown charlotte has out grown the older buildings. There was no old building that had 1 million square feet of space. Today over 100,000 people work uptown, you would never get that many people working in uptown charlotte in the 1020s buildings.

What I like to see is to make these office towers more street friendly. Bring back more retail, not just restaurants.

Last edited by CLT1985; 10-04-2014 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina