Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 09:11 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
So either Mutiny is full of crap. Or you are ignorant about your own cities historic offerings. I actually think it's a little of both.
So I actually post of link of historic structures from the Mecklenburg County Historical Landmark Commission--an objective, verifiable, local source--but I'm "full of crap"? How does logic work in your world dude?

Survey Designation List

Old 10-06-2014, 04:27 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So I actually post of link of historic structures from the Mecklenburg County Historical Landmark Commission--an objective, verifiable, local source--but I'm "full of crap"? How does logic work in your world dude?

Survey Designation List

You posted a link of "landmarks" not "historic structures". I assume you really didn't read it it since it includes such things as city buses, land were something once stood, and demolished property that doesn't exist now. It means the city gave it a historic designation so that it can't be altered without further approvals.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:15 AM

363 posts, read 444,875 times
No idea how factual this is, but it was interesting at least!

Charlotte, NC vs Raleigh, NC - Places Comparison

Old 10-06-2014, 08:12 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Atowwn Charlotte has many jobs that are open because they can not find a qualified person.
Since I have lived in Charlotte the unemployment has all ways goes up and down. On Monster there are over 1000 jobs, but you many need some special qualification to get some of these jobs. Charlotte's economy is a lot different from Raleigh's economy.
Charlotte is doing just fine and it is not as bad as you put it.

Charlotte is home to 7 fortune 500 companies and many other top companies have major divisions in Charlotte. They include: (H) Fortune 500 company located in Charlotte Metro Area
  • IBM
  • Verbatim
  • Microsoft
  • Vanguard
  • TIAA-CREF
  • EDS
  • Well Fargo
  • Bank of America(H)
  • GE Capital
  • Harris Direct
  • Transamerica
  • Equitable
  • Lowes (H) Mooresville
  • Goodrich Corp.(H)
  • Duke Energy (H)
  • NUCOR (H)
  • Sonic Automotive (H)
  • Family Dollar (H)
  • SPX (H)
  • ESPN
  • Lending Tree.com Hq
  • USAIR (American)
  • Bojangles Hq
  • The Babcock & Wicox Co Hq
  • Belk Hq
  • Piedmont Natural Gas Hq
  • Caslisle Hq
  • Chiquita Hq
  • American City Business Journals, Inc Hq
  • Carolina Foods Inc
  • AvidExchange HQ
  • Lance (SNYDER'S-LANCE INC) HQ
  • Chanticleer Holdings LLC Hq
  • Meineke Car Care Centers, Inc Hq
  • RADIATOR SPECIALTY COMPANY
  • Extended Stay America
  • There are many more companies. But when you have so many companies as Charlotte I do not see we are doing so bad.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You posted a link of "landmarks" not "historic structures". I assume you really didn't read it it since it includes such things as city buses, land were something once stood, and demolished property that doesn't exist now. It means the city gave it a historic designation so that it can't be altered without further approvals.
Now here YOU go, missing the forest for the trees.

The point is that this is essentially the county's more thorough version of the National Register, which also includes land, entire districts, and cemeteries. The county register consists overwhelmingly of existing buildings and includes many more of them than the National Register does. Using the National Register to say, "Ooohhh, look, Raleigh has a bunch more historic buildings than Charlotte" is extremely flawed and I suspect you know this but are looking to split hairs.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-06-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old 10-06-2014, 09:08 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Atowwn Charlotte has many jobs that are open because they can not find a qualified person.
Since I have lived in Charlotte the unemployment has all ways goes up and down. On Monster there are over 1000 jobs, but you many need some special qualification to get some of these jobs. Charlotte's economy is a lot different from Raleigh's economy.
Charlotte is doing just fine and it is not as bad as you put it.

Charlotte is home to 7 fortune 500 companies and many other top companies have major divisions in Charlotte. They include: (H) Fortune 500 company located in Charlotte Metro Area
  • IBM
  • Verbatim
  • Microsoft
  • Vanguard
  • TIAA-CREF
  • EDS
  • Well Fargo
  • Bank of America(H)
  • GE Capital
  • Harris Direct
  • Transamerica
  • Equitable
  • Lowes (H) Mooresville
  • Goodrich Corp.(H)
  • Duke Energy (H)
  • NUCOR (H)
  • Sonic Automotive (H)
  • Family Dollar (H)
  • SPX (H)
  • ESPN
  • Lending Tree.com Hq
  • USAIR (American)
  • Bojangles Hq
  • The Babcock & Wicox Co Hq
  • Belk Hq
  • Piedmont Natural Gas Hq
  • Caslisle Hq
  • Chiquita Hq
  • American City Business Journals, Inc Hq
  • Carolina Foods Inc
  • AvidExchange HQ
  • Lance (SNYDER'S-LANCE INC) HQ
  • Chanticleer Holdings LLC Hq
  • Meineke Car Care Centers, Inc Hq
  • RADIATOR SPECIALTY COMPANY
  • Extended Stay America
  • There are many more companies. But when you have so many companies as Charlotte I do not see we are doing so bad.
Nice list. I never said Charlotte was doing bad. Just not as good as Raleigh/Triangle is. It is clear there are two areas pulling N.C .. But it's clear which is providing the most pull right now. It's also clear that about the same amount of people are moving to both areas. One economy seems to be able to absorb the transplants. The other is starting to struggle a bit.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:59 PM

To all you folks
Most office building do not start until some company signs a contact to move in when it is built. Depending on the developer, a certain amount of office space must be under contact before they start construction. Very few developers build a office build with out space being leased

300 South Tryon is starting construction December 1,2014 because they have a anchored by Babson Capital. The building would be the first new office tower constructed in uptown Charlotte since the Duke Energy Center and the 1 Bank of America Center.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:21 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Briggs building
Capital building
State Bank building
Estey Hall
Federal building
Leonard hall
Masonic temple building
Peace college main building
N,C. Ag building
Capital Club building
City market
Odd Fellows building
Pine State building
Professional building
Raleigh bank and trust
Raleigh electric company powerhouse
Sir Walter hotel
Seaboard coastline railroad building
Memorial auditorium
Carolina trust bank
Boylan Pearce building
Cp&l building
Nc justice building
Old education building
Murphy school
Tucker carriage house
Boylan apartments
Capital apartments
Delany building
Raleigh times building
Montague building
Lumsden Boone building
Prairie building
Raleigh furniture building
Mecca
Hamlin drug store
Person st pharmacy
Shaw building
Old amoco station
Raleigh ice house
Stone warehouse
Early store building
Original Raleigh union station
Christ episcopal church
First baptist church
First Presbyterian church
Free church of the good Shepard
St. Paul AME church
Coble helms house
Andrews Duncan house
Ashley house
Cambridge house
Cowper house
Bailey gallant house
Caperhart house
Bailey tucker house
Gay house
Hawkins hartness house
Jordan house
Merrimom wynne house
Worth house
Heartt house
Howell house
Lee house
Lewis smith house
Watson house
Farlow house
Handy house
Heck Andrews house
Jenkins house
McGee house
Russ Edwards house
Andrew Goodwin house
Andrews London house
Bailey bunn house
Cameron Maynard house
Carey j hunter house
Dodd Hinsdale house
Dr Hubert a benbury Haywood house
Dr m t pope house
Gray fish Richardson house
Hawkins hartness house
Higgs coble helms house
Marshall Harris Richardson house
Richard b Haywood house

There are more but I got tired of looking up info
There also 5-10 I didn't use because they are slightly outside of DTRA definition of DT
Also keep in mind DT Raleigh is surrounded by nationally recognized historic districts
Oakwood,South Park,Mordecai,Boylan Heights,Cameron Park,and Brooklyn. As I have said before it's not even close. This has VERY few state buildings. I thought this would be enough.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-08-2014 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: TOS Violation

Old 10-06-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Mutiny listed a BS List Waldokitty called him on it as I did.
OK, I'm going to try to take a civil approach here, although I'm not sure it will help.

Why do you keep saying the list is BS? What makes the list you posted valid and the one I posted BS? First of all, you said the list of Uptown historic structures was "mostly houses" and "well over half houses" when, out of almost 50 structures (47 to be exact), only 14 were houses. All Waldokitty did was correct my terminology and point out the fact that the list included just a few non-structures and razed structures. The vast majority of the list consists of existing structures, and the list of historic structures in Uptown that I posted are all existing buildings.

Again, where's the BS? Serious question.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-06-2014 at 11:11 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 05:20 AM

Here is an article from Charlotte Magazine about the history of Charlotte's cotton mills and other buildings.

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/February-2012/Old-Masters-A-Look-at-Charlottes-Historic-Buildings/

Last edited by CLT1985; 10-07-2014 at 06:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina