Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:42 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
There are two reasons PNC isn't DT. First it was built in 1999 and not many people pushed for it to be DT then. Second the land was cheap and NCSU didn't want it DT.

Oh almost forgot who's going to pay for a new arena DT. Nobody want their taxes to go up. To replace a perfectly good arena. At least that's the mindset of most people. I'm kinda torn. Depending on the situation I could go either way. To be honest it didn't hurt when the NHL Allstar game was here. But I can also see the benefit of a DT arena.

As far as baseball goes. The Bulls are DT Durham good enough for me and most other Triangle residents. What y'all must realize is most of us like the split metro. Some things in Raleigh and some in Durham. It not a draw back it's an advantage. There actually is an agreement between Raleigh and Durham about the baseball thing. That's why the Mudcats are in Zebulon.

DT Raleigh and Durham are doing just fine as is in most peoples opinion.

There is EARLY talk about moving the Canes DT but it's very early.

If I could have my way the Bulls would move up to MLB level and either upgrade DBAP to MLB standards or build another stadium in DT Durham. That would work fine for me. Raleigh and Durham are a team. Making up N.C's premier metro. So why not split it up. Then maybe the Mudcats can move DT Raleigh. Maybe even the Railhawks could move DT too.

Lots of dreams and what ifs. We will see what happens in the next couple of years. With all the development and new money coming in. Not sure what to expect. We shall see.
First there's two premier metros in North Carolina and last i checked its Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham. Second you make it seem that the way Charlotte is built is something new to United States and The Triangle is gods golden gift to NC and its not. Charlotte is the big city for both states and dominates central Carolinas while the rest are smaller cities and suburban towns. The way Charlotte is makes it no different from San Diego, Denver, Houston, and Chicago. They all have central business districts that attracts other venues and attractions to it. Raleigh is made more like Dallas-Forth Worth, Bos-Was and Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point. Charlotte is the premier city for the Carolina's if you wanna go that route. For someone who calms they come to Charlotte because of his girl you really don't know much about the city or the surrounding areas.
Last i checked Concord Has the Concord Mills, Charlotte Motor Speed Way and the Zmax Drag Strip. Pineville has the Carolina Place Mall which is also a premier shopping area for the Charlotte Region. Rock Hill has the Novant Health BMX Super Cross Track and Glencairn Gardens. Gastonia has Adventure Landing, The Schiele Museum of Natural History and the Schiele Museum.

So formally known as the Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill NC-SC Msa it seems everyone gets there fair share of attractions including Concord. Not just Charlotte but we get more because were the core city and the Largest.

Charlotte is the Anchor city= more attractions

Gastonia,Concord, Rock Hill are satellite cities has a fair amount of attractions for there size

All others are suburban towns that do fairly well with attractions also. ENOUGH SAID

YOU DON'T KNOW METROLINA BUDDY

Old 10-31-2014, 06:07 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
Looking at the growth of Charlotte and Raleigh since 2010.
Charlotte grew by 8.40%
Raleigh grew by 6.9%

If Charlotte and Raleigh grows at the same rate for the next 10 year this is what each city's population will look like.

Charlotte @ 2013 792,862 (8.4%) Charlotte @ 2023 1,01,4863 grew by 222,001.89
Raleigh @ 2013 403,892 (6.9%) Raleigh @ 2023 498,787 grew by 92,895.16

Charlotte will be more than 2 time larger than Raleigh.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:58 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
First there's two premier metros in North Carolina and last i checked its Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham. Second you make it seem that the way Charlotte is built is something new to United States and The Triangle is gods golden gift to NC and its not. Charlotte is the big city for both states and dominates central Carolinas while the rest are smaller cities and suburban towns. The way Charlotte is makes it no different from San Diego, Denver, Houston, and Chicago. They all have central business districts that attracts other venues and attractions to it. Raleigh is made more like Dallas-Forth Worth, Bos-Was and Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point. Charlotte is the premier city for the Carolina's if you wanna go that route. For someone who calms they come to Charlotte because of his girl you really don't know much about the city or the surrounding areas.
Last i checked Concord Has the Concord Mills, Charlotte Motor Speed Way and the Zmax Drag Strip. Pineville has the Carolina Place Mall which is also a premier shopping area for the Charlotte Region. Rock Hill has the Novant Health BMX Super Cross Track and Glencairn Gardens. Gastonia has Adventure Landing, The Schiele Museum of Natural History and the Schiele Museum.

So formally known as the Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill NC-SC Msa it seems everyone gets there fair share of attractions including Concord. Not just Charlotte but we get more because were the core city and the Largest.

Charlotte is the Anchor city= more attractions

Gastonia,Concord, Rock Hill are satellite cities has a fair amount of attractions for there size

All others are suburban towns that do fairly well with attractions also. ENOUGH SAID

YOU DON'T KNOW METROLINA BUDDY
I'm not sure what post you were responding to. I don't think I even said the word Charlotte. Are you having a bad day? Do you need a hug or something?

Oh it was the premier metro thing? Relax. It's not that serious.

That superiority complex is showing its ugly head again.

Whenever someone challenges Charlotte's superiority you guys go freakin nuts.

Last edited by Atowwn; 10-31-2014 at 07:14 AM..

Old 10-31-2014, 08:45 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
There are two reasons PNC isn't DT. First it was built in 1999 and not many people pushed for it to be DT then. Second the land was cheap and NCSU didn't want it DT.

Oh almost forgot who's going to pay for a new arena DT. Nobody want their taxes to go up. To replace a perfectly good arena. At least that's the mindset of most people. I'm kinda torn. Depending on the situation I could go either way. To be honest it didn't hurt when the NHL Allstar game was here. But I can also see the benefit of a DT arena.

As far as baseball goes. The Bulls are DT Durham good enough for me and most other Triangle residents. What y'all must realize is most of us like the split metro. Some things in Raleigh and some in Durham. It not a draw back it's an advantage. There actually is an agreement between Raleigh and Durham about the baseball thing. That's why the Mudcats are in Zebulon.

DT Raleigh and Durham are doing just fine as is in most peoples opinion.

There is EARLY talk about moving the Canes DT but it's very early.

If I could have my way the Bulls would move up to MLB level and either upgrade DBAP to MLB standards or build another stadium in DT Durham. That would work fine for me. Raleigh and Durham are a team. Making up N.C's premier metro. So why not split it up. Then maybe the Mudcats can move DT Raleigh. Maybe even the Railhawks could move DT too.

Lots of dreams and what ifs. We will see what happens in the next couple of years. With all the development and new money coming in. Not sure what to expect. We shall see.
I lived in Durham for 10 years so I understand the RDU area. The split metro is not so convenient if you live in North, East or South Raleigh because travel to downtown Durham can take upwards of 45 minutes to an hour so. I know people who live in Raleigh who rarely (if at all) visit Durham and vice versa. I rarely traveled to downtown Raleigh....I mean really for what reasons? Not that downtown Raleigh isn't cool but I had everything I needed in Durham/Chapel area.

Good info about the reasons behind the sport venue locations. Still, the arena should've been built downtown.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I lived in Durham for 10 years so I understand the RDU area. The split metro is not so convenient if you live in North, East or South Raleigh because travel to downtown Durham can take upwards of 45 minutes to an hour so. I know people who live in Raleigh who rarely (if at all) visit Durham and vice versa. I rarely traveled to downtown Raleigh....I mean really for what reasons? Not that downtown Raleigh isn't cool but I had everything I needed in Durham/Chapel area.

Good info about the reasons behind the sport venue locations. Still, the arena should've been built downtown.
The same can be said of Uptown. I know people who never go uptown. Its really about lifestyle,and where you live along with what kind of entertainment you are looking for.

I for one try to enjoy the entire Triangle. I live in Brier Creek so everything is kinda close to me. I'll drive to Chapel Hill to eat lunch at Mama Dips. Or drive DT Raleigh just to eat breakfast at Big Eds. Point being some people get out more than others. Depends on the person.

I agree that the arena should have been built DT. It's hard to go back now and change a $150-200 million mistake. Especially when most people don't have a real problem with where it is. Lots of people like where it is. In the new DT plan it's clear some big people want a new arena DT. I got a feeling we might end up with one like it or not.

But with some big things coming up. Like the Dix Park,Light Rail(transit talk) later phases of Raleigh union station can't say how the tax payers will react?

Last edited by Atowwn; 10-31-2014 at 09:45 AM..

Old 10-31-2014, 10:30 AM

Who knows what Charlotte and the Triangle will be like in 20 or 30 years. Lets hope the people making decisions today will enhance our cites and not make bad decisions that our children have to live with.

When Charlotte built the Charlotte Coliseum on Tyvola, Charlotte was after college games not the NBA.
Times change, the coliseum was not the right configuration for NBA games. Hornets leave town and guess what a new coliseum uptown and down came the old Charlotte Coliseum.

Charlotte did not have the same problem as Raleigh, we did not have to deal with UNC Charlotte to build an arena. I think Raleigh looks at Charlotte and sees how a downtown arena can enhance not only sports, but conventions. Charlotte was able to have the DNC because it has an arena and convention center uptown. One thing Charlotte needs more of is uptown hotels for large conventions. In 3 years Charlotte should have about 30 uptown hotels.

Raleigh will not be able to support a large event without more hotels, and a large arena to go along with their convention center. The PNC Arena can always be used by NC State, even Raleigh builds a downtown arena. The trouble Raleigh has, its downtown business present is too small to support many downtown hotels. Charlotte has a lot of business people using uptown hotels during the week.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Who knows what Charlotte and the Triangle will be like in 20 or 30 years. Lets hope the people making decisions today will enhance our cites and not make bad decisions that our children have to live with.

When Charlotte built the Charlotte Coliseum on Tyvola, Charlotte was after college games not the NBA.
Times change, the coliseum was not the right configuration for NBA games. Hornets leave town and guess what a new coliseum uptown and down came the old Charlotte Coliseum.

Charlotte did not have the same problem as Raleigh, we did not have to deal with UNC Charlotte to build an arena. I think Raleigh looks at Charlotte and sees how a downtown arena can enhance not only sports, but conventions. Charlotte was able to have the DNC because it has an arena and convention center uptown. One thing Charlotte needs more of is uptown hotels for large conventions. In 3 years Charlotte should have about 30 uptown hotels.

Raleigh will not be able to support a large event without more hotels, and a large arena to go along with their convention center. The PNC Arena can always be used by NC State, even Raleigh builds a downtown arena. The trouble Raleigh has, its downtown business present is too small to support many downtown hotels. Charlotte has a lot of business people using uptown hotels during the week.
I agree

Old 10-31-2014, 02:30 PM

I think in 10 years Raleigh will be at or over 500,000 and may be Transit will work then.

In 10 years I hope Charlotte will have LRT to the airport and rail down Monroe Road to Matthews.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:42 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
The same can be said of Uptown. I know people who never go uptown. Its really about lifestyle,and where you live along with what kind of entertainment you are looking for.

I for one try to enjoy the entire Triangle. I live in Brier Creek so everything is kinda close to me. I'll drive to Chapel Hill to eat lunch at Mama Dips. Or drive DT Raleigh just to eat breakfast at Big Eds. Point being some people get out more than others. Depends on the person.

I agree that the arena should have been built DT. It's hard to go back now and change a $150-200 million mistake. Especially when most people don't have a real problem with where it is. Lots of people like where it is. In the new DT plan it's clear some big people want a new arena DT. I got a feeling we might end up with one like it or not.

But with some big things coming up. Like the Dix Park,Light Rail(transit talk) later phases of Raleigh union station can't say how the tax payers will react?
Briers Creek is sort of uniquely located so its one of the few areas in the Triangle where traveling to Raleigh or Durham/Chapel Hill is convenient. But that's not really the point (or the case for most people), the Triangle is so spread out that the majority of people living in Durham/Chapel Hill will never travel to Raleigh areas (or downtown) since it's so far away and really not a necessity to shop or partake in general entertainment. However Charlotte (uptown) is one central core and easily more accessible for most people in the city...museums, sports, etc.

Not a knock against the Triangle but it's the way the area evolved and was built (really two different areas: Raleigh and Durham/Chapel Hill). Unless a special event like the CIAA, etc was in Raleigh, I rarely and do mean rarely went there for anything. Whereas in Charlotte things are much closer and downtown is no more than 30-45 minutes away.

I do think light rail and other forms of public transportation in the Triangle will make the area seem more cohesive. I can imagine folks in Raleigh taking rail to visit Durham (catch a Bulls game) or folks in Durham taking rail to hangout in Glenwood South or take in NHL game (once arena is relocated), etc.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Briers Creek is sort of uniquely located so its one of the few areas in the Triangle where traveling to Raleigh or Durham/Chapel Hill is convenient. But that's not really the point (or the case for most people), the Triangle is so spread out that the majority of people living in Durham/Chapel Hill will never travel to Raleigh areas (or downtown) since it's so far away and really not a necessity to shop or partake in general entertainment. However Charlotte (uptown) is one central core and easily more accessible for most people in the city...museums, sports, etc.

Not a knock against the Triangle but it's the way the area evolved and was built (really two different areas: Raleigh and Durham/Chapel Hill). Unless a special event like the CIAA, etc was in Raleigh, I rarely and do mean rarely went there for anything. Whereas in Charlotte things are much closer and downtown is no more than 30-45 minutes away.

I do think light rail and other forms of public transportation in the Triangle will make the area seem more cohesive. I can imagine folks in Raleigh taking rail to visit Durham (catch a Bulls game) or folks in Durham taking rail to hangout in Glenwood South or take in NHL game (once arena is relocated), etc.
With DPAC in Durham and the Bulls always doing well. It has changed a lot from what you remember. There is actually a reason for people to go to Durham. DT Durham. Years ago DT Durham was dead. Not now. Take my word for it LOTS of people come from Wake to Durham now. Chapel Hill takes effort but Durham no. Almost forgot about the Streets at Southpoint. Another reason to come to Durham. That being the best Triangle area mall IMO.

One example one of the last Bulls games of the season. Think it was a playoff game. They were interviewing fans after the game. Showing their name and where they were from. Like 5 people in a row were from Cary! If you know anything about the area.Which I think you do. You know why that caught my eye. Years ago most people avoided Durham like something would get on them. Not now

I will grant you most older people may not cross over much. But young and mobile people do it all the time. You really have no choice. If you want to experience everything the Triangle gas to offer.

Also light rail will do wonders to make the area more cohesive. I actually think the planned route will be great for the area. The plan as I understand it is to start in Garner, DT Raleigh,NCSU,Cary,the Park,DT Durham(Duke),DT Chapel Hill(UNC). Let's hope I'm not on a walker by the time it gets done.

Almost forgot I do think we will get a DT arena. Like it or not. Rumors about the Canes leaving,revenue down,problems with NCSU,then they slip it into the DT Raleigh plan as option 2. Please! Best way to describe this situation is. We are on the first date. Already pregnant but we don't know it yet.

The City has some pushy Charlotte type people around now(not a insult). Making decisions now.

Prime example Mr Kane. IMO great for Raleigh.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/...ls-realty.html

Last edited by Atowwn; 11-01-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina