Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:09 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,434,708 times

Advertisements

Plans for 225 N Cedar apartments are up on Accela for forth ward.

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap...0&capID3=00027

Not looking bad to be honest

Old 02-06-2015, 08:25 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,504,975 times
The difference is much more complex. Lots of things such as a large number of people work for the state. Along with UNC/UNC Hospitals,Duke/Duke Medical Center,NC State. With this as the foundation there's a clear advantage. Most of these jobs are very stable. And will always be there. Come hell or high water.

Along with the fact that OVERALL the public schools are better. Wake Tech,Durham Tech,and JCC. provide great skills training. Add that with all the other colleges I didn't mention. The advantage is there.

Not based on race.

Charlotte's over dependence(IMO) on big corporations plays a role also.

I'll say this,and Im done with this subject. Anyone who doesn't have the judgement or good sense,not to go there. Should never ever ever ever ever make any comments about anyones lack of understanding on any subject. Because going there shows a lack of understanding on a level I can't put into words.

Last edited by Atowwn; 02-06-2015 at 08:54 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 AM

743 posts, read 818,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
The difference is much more complex. Lots of things such as a large number of people work for the state. Along with UNC/UNC Hospitals,Duke/Duke Medical Center,NC State. With this as the foundation there's a clear advantage. Most of these jobs are very stable. And will always be there. Come hell or high water.

Along with the fact that OVERALL the public schools are better. Wake Tech,Durham Tech,and JCC. provide great skills training. Add that with all the other colleges I didn't mention. The advantage is there.

Not based on race.

Charlotte's over dependence(IMO) on big corporations plays a role also.

I'll say this,and Im done with this subject. Anyone who doesn't have the judgement or good sense,not to go there. Should never ever ever ever ever make any comments about anyones lack of understanding on any subject. Because going there shows a lack of understanding on a level I can't put into words.
Really nothing to do with large corporations or quality of schools. Charlotte is surrounded by small towns & many or their economies are based on manufacturing like textiles. Manufacturing companies need employees with a higher skill set than in the past which requires training. That's why CPCC is leading a coalition of 12 technical schools located in both Carolina's to address this issue.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Really nothing to do with large corporations or quality of schools. Charlotte is surrounded by small towns & many or their economies are based on manufacturing like textiles. Manufacturing companies need employees with a higher skill set than in the past which requires training. That's why CPCC is leading a coalition of 12 technical schools located in both Carolina's to address this issue.
I'm sure there are many factors play a role in this issue. The employment gap is not a big issue. As in most subjects between our two areas. Paper thin. This conversation had gone to a place it should never gotten close to.

Let's move on to something fun!

Come on Cholo,485. Where's the skyscraper rendering? Heck what's going on with TopGolf? Is this solid or just a rumor?

Old 02-06-2015, 09:45 AM

370 posts, read 539,698 times
Quote:
I'm sure there are many factors play a role in this issue. The employment gap is not a big issue. As in most subjects between our two areas. Paper thin. This conversation had gone to a place it should never gotten close to.

Come on Cholo,485. Where's the skyscraper rendering? Heck what's going on with TopGolf? Is this solid or just a rumor?
I'll save them the trouble. All of these are going in along Morehead on top of the current construction occurring there. The rapid urbanization of the ring neighborhoods is racing forward. All four of these projects will feature ground floor retail and at least two of them will be U/C by June. This does not include Quarters on Morehead or the Crescent project or Forestar Project or the Pappas project, all currently under construction. Keep in mind that all of this development is occurring along one road, roughly 1.5 miles long.

Development: West Morehead apartments to break ground this year

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/497850...-1000-0-21.jpg

Old 02-06-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Top Golf more than likely happens, the property they are looking was recently bought & the owner mentioned possible entertainment purposes. One key is the city extending the access road in front of Wal Mart to provide access to the site off independence from both sides.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,434,708 times
Quote:
Top Golf more than likely happens, the property they are looking was recently bought & the owner mentioned possible entertainment purposes. One key is the city extending the access road in front of Wal Mart to provide access to the site off independence from both sides.
Is that the reason why some of it is finced off on independence?

Old 02-06-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
I'll save them the trouble. All of these are going in along Morehead on top of the current construction occurring there. The rapid urbanization of the ring neighborhoods is racing forward. All four of these projects will feature ground floor retail and at least two of them will be U/C by June. This does not include Quarters on Morehead or the Crescent project or Forestar Project or the Pappas project, all currently under construction. Keep in mind that all of this development is occurring along one road, roughly 1.5 miles long.

Surprised it's taken developers this long to focus on this corridor. The land is reasonable, has good highway access& convent to Uptown & SouthEnd

Old 02-06-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post

Where is this area,in relation to Uptown. Keep in mind,non Charlotte resident.

A couple buildings going up along Hillsborough St. Same general scale. From what I can tell not quite as nice as a couple of the ones you linked.

Still waiting on a few more. 2 in Cameron Village and 2-3 more on Hillsborough St are looking good. It's kinda hard to keep up with the NC State area right now.

I almost forgot about Stanhope Commons. Can like right now,but worth checking out.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:08 AM

370 posts, read 539,698 times
Quote:
Surprised it's taken developers this long to focus on this corridor. The land is reasonable, has good highway access& convent to Uptown & SouthEnd
I can really see Morehead from the Sugar Creek Greenway, all the way to Freemore West developing into a stroll-able, retail district. It's already a pleasure to walk along with the large trees, and I'm very impressed with the quality of buildings being constructed and proposed along this corridor. Quarters Morehead was a bit of a miss in my opinion (no ground floor retail) however the Trinity project proposed next to it and the stock of older buildings leading into the future Gold District lead me to believe this will be a nice foundation that crosses through Southend and will be supported by all the money in Dilworth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina