Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:11 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Balfour Beatty wins US$136 million contract to construct prestigious high rise office building in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Balfour Beatty plc - News & views - News - Balfour Beatty wins US$136 million contract to construct prestigious high rise office building in Charlotte, North Carolina (25 July, 2014)
It must be a really slow news day. After the way the conversation went last night,I would change the subject too. But good greif man.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:44 PM

272 posts, read 380,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
If pass history is anything, Raleigh does not have the business or capital to push that type of development. I don't think Raleigh will see the construction that Charlotte has at one time.
Over 10 years Raleigh had only spend 2.3 billion compared to Charlottes 9 billion in their downtowns.
A lot will have to change if Raleigh can get up to this level in spending.

Charlotte had two 50 stories building going up at the same time The Vue Apartments and Duke Energy Tower. 3 Museums, 1 BOA 32 stories , Ritz Carlton, Hyatt House, 440 South Church, Catyalst Apartments.

As far as heights and floors of buildings, Raleigh has had, and still has, ridiculous height restrictions limiting how tall a building can be (something that Charlotte doesn't have)....anywho....If you knew the history of downtown Raleigh, then you would see that you have NO idea what you are talking about. Downtown Raleigh has been dead for a VERY long time( Look up Fayetteville Street Mall). Any city that is dead, filled with homeless, and surrounded by public housing complexes won't really see much investment in development. Now it's 2015, and Raleigh is starting to catch the eye of investors something that CAN'T be said about the past. Chavis Heights, Halifax Court, and Walnut Terrace housing projects are no longer downtown....something that can't really be said about the past. Detroit grew and had major developments in the PAST, but that isn't the case in 2015. If you lived in Detroit in the 1950's, you would be saying that, "Detroit will NEVER die, the development is so fast." So I have to disagree with you looking at Raleigh's PAST as a precursor to what the future holds. Before you said that Raleigh will NEVER see 12 cranes at once, now you say you don't THINK that it will happen. I can handle your THOUGHTS, but not your FACTS...because you just don't KNOW what the future holds.

Last edited by Rahlee boy; 02-25-2015 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 03:17 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
As far as heights and floors of buildings, Raleigh has had, and still has, ridiculous height restrictions limiting how tall a building can be (something that Charlotte doesn't have)....anywho....If you knew the history of downtown Raleigh, then you would see that you have NO idea what you are talking about. Downtown Raleigh has been dead for a VERY long time( Look up Fayetteville Street Mall). Any city that is dead, filled with homeless, and surrounded by public housing complexes won't really see much investment in development. Now it's 2015, and Raleigh is starting to catch the eye of investors something that CAN'T be said about the past. Chavis Heights, Halifax Court, and Walnut Terrace housing projects are no longer downtown....something that can't really be said about the past. Detroit grew and had major developments in the PAST, but that isn't the case in 2015. If you lived in Detroit in the 1950's, you would be saying that, "Detroit will NEVER die, the development is so fast." So I have to disagree with you looking at Raleigh's PAST as a precursor to what the future holds. Before you said that Raleigh will NEVER see 12 cranes at once, now you say you don't THINK that it will happen. I can handle your THOUGHTS, but not your FACTS...because you just don't KNOW what the future holds.

Raleigh better get some big companies with deep pocket to built downtown Raleigh. All the high rise in Charlotte in up town are private own (excluding City & County builds). Duke Energy building cost over 800 million. In 2008 there was over a billion in construction.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:39 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
I think Raleigh has a proposal for a 23 story office tower. I'm pretty sure it will be a few years before it would break ground. The smaller office tower is 60% filled and they're waiting to build the 23 floor tower when it Pre-leases a set amount of space (Which is nearly impossible unless it's a company that is already located in the triangle and just wanting. Space to expand)

Old 02-25-2015, 05:13 PM

Duke Energy Tower $900 Million 2010
The Vue Apartment - 51 stories $275 million 2010
1 Bank America Center 32 stores $450 million 2010
To build the 60 stories Bank of America headquarters to day would cost over a Billion dollars.

As you can see it is not cheap.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I think Raleigh has a proposal for a 23 story office tower. I'm pretty sure it will be a few years before it would break ground. The smaller office tower is 60% filled and they're waiting to build the 23 floor tower when it Pre-leases a set amount of space (Which is nearly impossible unless it's a company that is already located in the triangle and just wanting. Space to expand)
You may need to check your info. It's WAY off. Where did you get your info,if I may ask? Because everyone including developers expect these projects to start in 2015. But it looks like you have some inside info

Last edited by Atowwn; 02-25-2015 at 05:46 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
He doesn't know what the he** he's talking about. Let's just start there. 12 cranes at one time? Let's examine that. I don't know about the timing of the cranes,going up or down. But I'm pretty sure,about 6-8 months ago the were 12,let's just call them big projects going on,at the same time. All Downtown.

Skyhouse
Charter Square South
Wake Justice Center
SECU HQ
Citrix
The L
Elan
Devon 712
Devon 425
The Edison
The Lincoln
Link
Blount Street Commons
Carolina Ale House
Walnut Terrace
Anglican Church

As far as I can remember ALL of these projects were under construction(in various stages) at the same time. I don't know the total costs,don't really care. No Cameron Village,NCSU/Centennial Campus or Midtown Raleigh included.

Also I fully expect 10 or so new projects to be coming out of the ground by the end of 2015 Downtown.

7 in Midtown by August maybe 8 if we get lucky
8 on Hillsborough St(NCSU area) by August

How's that foot taste? clt1985? I hope you put pepper on it,before putting it in your mouth

Last edited by Atowwn; 02-25-2015 at 06:29 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 05:40 PM

Downtown Developer Greg Hatem on Downtown Vibrancy

http://dtraleigh.com/2015/01/downtown-developer-greg-hatem-downtown-vibrancy/

Old 02-25-2015, 07:04 PM

State of Downtown Raleigh
The Raleigh Connoisseur (May 10, 2014) - Weekend Reel: State of Downtown Raleigh 2014

Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 PM

Charlotte, Carolinas golf take another major step
Charlotte, Carolinas golf take another major step - Charlotte Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina