Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:27 AM

743 posts, read 826,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
A few things. Anson county is no longer part of the MSA. The counties in Charlotte's MSA are
Mecklenburg
Union
Gaston
Cabarrus
Iredell
Rowan
Lincoln
Chester,SC
Lancaster,SC
York,SC

Another note the fact that Raleigh and Durham are split is a point of contention and debate nationwide. A case study would be the Metroplex. Fort Worth is definitely its own animal and is similar to Durham to how it influences the DFW region yet it is in the same MSA as Dallas. I do understand the same rules are applied to all MSAs but I do think Raleigh and Durham should be one MSA especially when you look at larger MSAs that have metropolitan divisions. Perhaps the Triangle is too small to have a metropolitan division but that is another discussion. That is why I do think it's fair to compare the Triangle CSA to Charlotte MSA/CSA.
Alliance &DFW airports connect the metroplex in way the Triangle currently lacks.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Alliance &DFW airports connect the metroplex in way the Triangle currently lacks.
Where is RDU located? From what I understand the airport in DFW was placed there because Dallas and Fort Worth petitioned to have an airport each. The Feds basically told them to share given their proximity. I also think RTP connects the region in addition to both cities crossing into the adjacent county's boundaries.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:46 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,755 times
Quote:
A few things. Anson county is no longer part of the MSA. The counties in Charlotte's MSA are
Mecklenburg
Union
Gaston
Cabarrus
Iredell
Rowan
Lincoln
Chester,SC
Lancaster,SC
York,SC

Another note the fact that Raleigh and Durham are split is a point of contention and debate nationwide. A case study would be the Metroplex. Fort Worth is definitely its own animal and is similar to Durham to how it influences the DFW region yet it is in the same MSA as Dallas. I do understand the same rules are applied to all MSAs but I do think Raleigh and Durham should be one MSA especially when you look at larger MSAs that have metropolitan divisions. Perhaps the Triangle is too small to have a metropolitan division but that is another discussion. That is why I do think it's fair to compare the Triangle CSA to Charlotte MSA/CSA.
I was getting MSA from a US Census and I could believe it was current. That report was from 2003.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 AM

743 posts, read 826,090 times
Quote:
Where is RDU located? From what I understand the airport in DFW was placed there because Dallas and Fort Worth petitioned to have an airport each. The Feds basically told them to share given their proximity. I also think RTP connects the region in addition to both cities crossing into the adjacent county's boundaries.
There is a lot of office,industrial & residential development surrounding both DFW & Alliance , Alliance is probably the best example in the US of a planned Airport City or Aerotroplis. RTP doesn't have much residential & RDU is basically just a airport & nothing else.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:11 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Mecklenburg
Union
Gaston
Cabarrus
Iredell
Rowan
Lincoln
Chester,SC
Lancaster,SC
York,SC

I too think it's ridiculous that Raleigh and Durham aren't in the same MSA. I think RTP is the culprit since neither Raleigh or Durham have shared commuting patterns to meet MSA requirements. In other words, most commuters land in RTP versus commuting from Raleigh to Durham and vice versa. Although they should both reside in the same MSA, for all practical purposes the two metros share RTP and some border/edge resources but essentially functions as separate entities. I think if both were in the same county more could be done in this area to advance public transit, etc.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
You've been to North Carolina 1 time. How can you honestly have an opinion,one way or the other? Charlotte is a very nice city,no doubt. From what you said you have no idea what Raleigh,Raleigh/Durham,or the Triangle have to offer. Except what you have seen online. By the way the op knew to combine Raleigh and Durham for a reason. Raleigh and Durham have been and will be joined at the hip forever. I've been here for 41 years I would know. I've lived in Durham on to separate occasions so I'd know. Not mention I just moved from an area in Raleigh that all the residents and businesses have Durham phone numbers.

There have been plenty of posters from Durham. None would support any of the foolish statements that Big AH makes. Believe me.

In all honesty Raleigh needs Durham and Durham need Raleigh. We survive and prosper togather,period. Each city has it's own identity but we are all part of the Triangle region. Only someone ignorant of the facts or with an agenda would say otherwise. Attachment 148989 by the way I got this hat at the last Bulls game I attended. Yes that's a Hurricanes logo on the back of a Durham Bulls hat. I wonder why?

As far as the Hornets go,well they will NEVER be more popular in NC than Duke,UNC,or NC State period,sorry!
College Basketball or NBA Basketball

To your point about more jobs in Charlotte. More jobs maybe. But a point higher unemployment. Along with Charlotte having a lower median income. Lower home values and much higher taxes.

I've said it many times neither is better overall than the other. Both have big advantages in some areas. Weaknesses in other areas.

One last thing. The Raleigh Union Station and the Dix Park burns some of the Charlotte posters up. That's the point of mentioning it. Right Huntersville485 lol. He's a greenway-outdoors lover. It also burns him that Raleigh's greenway and parks are better than Charlotte's also. No to mention all the Triangles parks combined. Not even close!

Last thing. I'll use DPAC as an example. It's top 5 nationally in attendance. Durham is a city of 245,550 people. It takes the entire Triangle to fill DPAC night after night after night. As a matter of fact according to the DPAC website. DPAC is the center for live entertainment in the Triangle. So come on down and see for yourself. Before making statements about subjects you have no first hand knowledge of.

DPAC Official Site :: 2014 Attendance Rankings Place DPAC Among the Best Theaters in America

By the way I think you made a comment about more and better tours and concerts coming to Charlotte. Maybe you might want to do a little research on that too. Just saying,I'll leave it at that.

Most poster on another site in Charlotte thinks that the new train station should be near to NODA area.
As far as DPAC, we have the NC Blumenthal Center which has over 600,000 attendance a year.

Charlotte has a set up for all types of Entertainment. Belk Theater features state-of-the-art equipment, production and support capabilities and can host any event, from grand opera to rock to corporate annual meetings and lectures.
The theater features a contemporary European horseshoe arrangement for an intimate atmosphere and world-class acoustics. The most distant seat is less than 135 feet from the stage.
A hallmark of the theater’s design is some 2,400 “points of light” in the audience chamber, part of a dazzling fiber optic network with multi-color capabilities.
Renowned architect Cesar Pelli designed the Performing Arts Center, which opened in 1992, as well as the adjacent Bank of America Corporate Center and Founders Hall. The Center’s name honors the contributions of the people of the state of North Carolina as well as the generosity of the Blumenthal Foundation, the largest private donor to the capital campaign.

Knights Theater Performing-arts venue & home to the Charlotte Symphony & the North Carolina Dance Theatre.
Booth Playhouse
Duke Power Theatre @ Spirit Square
McGlohon Theatre @ Spirit Square
Ovens Auditorium
Stage Door Theater

With all this I don't think anyone is in Charlotte would trade DPAC for what we have in the NC Blumenthal Center.

Blumenthal Performing Arts

Last edited by CLT1985; 04-29-2015 at 12:52 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
I was getting MSA from a US Census and I could believe it was current. That report was from 2003.
If it included Anson then it wasn't. 2013 MSA were redefined by the White House OMB. Here is the link.

https://m.whitehouse.gov/sites/defau...013/b13-01.pdf

Old 04-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
If it included Anson then it wasn't. 2013 MSA were redefined by the White House OMB. Here is the link.

https://m.whitehouse.gov/sites/defau...013/b13-01.pdf
Anson did not add that much. it was losing population.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Anson did not add that much. it was losing population.
Yeah. Losing Anson did us a favor.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:58 PM

I live less than a mile from Matthews and I see cars with South Carolina tags all the time. I know some people who come to Charlotte every day to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina