Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 04:42 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,161,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Having a dense urban core helps make a city a "real" city. Charlotte > Raleigh.
Having a major international airport helps make a city a "real" city. Charlotte > Raleigh.
Having multiple professional sports teams helps make a city a "real" city. Charlotte > Raleigh.
Having a large GDP helps make a city a "real" city. Charlotte > Raleigh.
Having a larger population in the metro area makes a city a "real" city. Charlotte > Raleigh.
Having major, mainstream tours come to your stadiums, arenas, and other venues helps make a city a "real" city. Charlotte > Raleigh.
Having Fortune 500 companies with a significant presence/headquarters helps make a city a "real" city. Charlotte > Raleigh.
Having world class institution(s) of higher learning helps make a city a "real" city. Durham > Charlotte.
1) The entire city of Raleigh is more dense than Charlotte, Raleigh doesn't have to zero in on a 14 block radius.
2) nope, sorry, it doesn't, last I checked RDU was international anyway so there's that.
3) when Charlotte teams, actually you know, win a title, get back to me. Or you know, maybe stick around town long enough to win a title, lol (btw Jacksonville has an NFL team, CSA metro 1.5 million. Green Bay?? Guess they're "real cities too, well, maybe by Charlotte standards
4) One can say having a large education base and large technology base do the same thing, wash.
5) CSA to CSA basically the same size, wash.
6) touring what, strip cubs? lol ! The state's largest, best and most attended museums are all in Raleigh, aka "the Smithsonian of the south". "NC's live music capital" "Top 10 city arts district", in Raleigh too, not Charlotte sorry, tours to see the Pelihorncats lose another season, I'll give you that one
7) Lowes and Harris Teeter?
8) Who's CSA is Durham in again? downtown Durham to downtown Raleigh 25 miles. Downtown Charlotte to downtown Durham 144 miles. At least I got you to admit the FAIL Metrolina is in the education category compared to the Triangle. One step at a time

Wanna read some more? Here ya go!
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/lifestyl...-09202011.html

"Businessweek.com spent months working with data that would help us to identify the best cities in the U.S. We looked at a range of positive metrics around quality of life, counted up restaurants, evaluated school scores, and considered the number of colleges and pro sports teams. All these factors and more add up to a city that would seem to offer it all. When we began the process we had no idea which cities would come out on top. The winner? Raleigh, N.C. To most residents of Raleigh, it may not come as a surprise that their city earned the title of America’s Best City. Raleigh shows the cultural graces that go along with anchoring the so-called Research Triangle, home to North Carolina State University, Duke University, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Among its many attributes the city sports 867 restaurants, 110 bars, and 51 museums, according to Onboard Informatics, as well as a thriving social scene, good schools, and 12,512 park acres, equal to several times the green space per capita in cities like New York and Los Angeles, according to the Trust for Public Land. It also offers a great deal on nights and weekends—from concerts and opera, to the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes and college sports, to the 30,000-square-foot State Farmers Market."

You know "America's best city" is including Charlotte, unless Charlotte, you know, picked up and move to Canada, lol

I think we're done here, Charlotte loses again

Last edited by Raleigh540; 05-04-2015 at 04:59 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
The reason Washington DC has no tall buildings.

D.C. height restriction has also promoted suburban sprawl, boxified the city's architecture and deadened Washington's downtown. It has inflated office rents, deflated the municipal tax base, limited affordable housing, contributed to the region's hideous traffic jams and generally helped keep Washington a second-tier city despite the unrelenting growth of its major industry -- the government.

The height restriction is a prime example of one of that industry's most notorious products, the unfunded federal mandate. In 1899, Congress passed the Heights of Buildings Act in response to the 14-story Cairo apartment tower, which at the time was reviled as a monstrosity overshadowing its Dupont Circle neighborhood. (It is now admired as one of Washington's most beautiful residential buildings.) The original law limited buildings to the height of the Capitol, but was amended in 1910 to the width of the adjacent street plus 20 feet, so a building facing a 90-foot-wide street could be only 110 feet tall. The basic intent was the same: No skyscrapers.
So you agree, tall buildings don't make a real city. Thanks

Old 05-04-2015, 05:01 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
1) The entire city of Raleigh is more dense than Charlotte, Raleigh doesn't have to zero in on a 14 block radius.
2) nope, sorry, it doesn't
3) when Charlotte teams, actually you know, win a title, get back to me. (btw Jacksonville has an NFL team, CSA metro 1.5 million. Green Bay?? Guess they're "real cities too, well, maybe by Charlotte standards
4) Once can say having a large education base and large technology base do the same thing, wash.
5) CSA to CSA basically the same size, wash.
6) touring what, strip cubs? lol ! The state's largest, best and most attended museums are all in Raleigh, aka "the Smithsonian of the south". Top 10 city arts district, in Raleigh too, not Charlotte sorry, tours to see the Pelihorncats lose another season, I'll give you that one
7) Lowes and Harris Teeter?
8) Who's CSA is Durham in again? downtown Durham to downtown Raleigh 25 miles. Downtown Charlotte to downtown Durham 144 miles. At least I got you to admit the FAIL Metrolina is in the education category compared to the Triangle. One step at a time
1) And if Raleigh expanded to include the same amount of area as Charlotte has, Charlotte would be more dense. Either you get to say Raleigh is a little more dense than Charlotte and has about half as many people, or you have to admit that Raleigh's density is inflated relatively speaking due to its smaller land area. You can't have it both ways.
2) Yes, it does. But I can understand your response since you have no answer for it.
3) The Cubs haven't won the World Series in more than 100 years. Is Chicago a real city? Everyone knows you are an idiot for implying winning professional championships means something. Neither Jacksonville nor Green Bay have multiple big-time pro sports teams. Charlotte does. Try again.
4) Those factors are included in the GDP. So for every area that Raleigh has an edge, Charlotte has a bigger edge somewhere else.
5) CSA to CSA are *not* basically the same size. About half a million people difference is quite significant. I guess you think the Triad is basically the same as the Triangle, huh? And Knoxville is basically the same as the triad, right? And Fayetteville is a wash with Knoxville, right?
6) No... Big time draws like the Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Elton John, Paul McCartney... all the way up to new pop stars like One Direction. Year in and year out, Charlotte hosts far more events of this caliber than Raleigh.
7) Congratulations. Unfortunately, Charlotte has far more.
8) Durham isn't even in Raleigh's MSA and you continue to beat your chest over it. But sure, if you want to extend your definition of metro areas to combining nearby metro areas, then Raleigh wins in education. But of course, everyone knows this is laughable. Nobody thinks Tuscaloosa is a more major city than Birmingham because Alabama's flagship campus is there. Nobody thinks Auburn is a more major city than Charlotte because Auburn is a better school than UNC-Charlotte. Nobody thinks Ann Arbor is a more significant city than Detroit, etc, etc. It simply *helps* and to be quite frank, is far less of a factor than the other things I mentioned.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
1) And if Raleigh expanded to include the same amount of area as Charlotte has, Charlotte would be more dense. Either you get to say Raleigh is a little more dense than Charlotte and has about half as many people, or you have to admit that Raleigh's density is inflated relatively speaking due to its smaller land area. You can't have it both ways.
2) Yes, it does. But I can understand your response since you have no answer for it.
3) The Cubs haven't won the World Series in more than 100 years. Is Chicago a real city? Everyone knows you are an idiot for implying winning professional championships means something. Neither Jacksonville nor Green Bay have multiple big-time pro sports teams. Charlotte does. Try again.
4) Those factors are included in the GDP. So for every area that Raleigh has an edge, Charlotte has a bigger edge somewhere else.
5) CSA to CSA are *not* basically the same size. About half a million people difference is quite significant. I guess you think the Triad is basically the same as the Triangle, huh? And Knoxville is basically the same as the triad, right? And Fayetteville is a wash with Knoxville, right?
6) No... Big time draws like the Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Elton John, Paul McCartney... all the way up to new pop stars like One Direction. Year in and year out, Charlotte hosts far more events of this caliber than Raleigh.
7) Congratulations. Unfortunately, Charlotte has far more.
8) Durham isn't even in Raleigh's MSA and you continue to beat your chest over it. But sure, if you want to extend your definition of metro areas to combining nearby metro areas, then Raleigh wins in education. But of course, everyone knows this is laughable. Nobody thinks Tuscaloosa is a more major city than Birmingham because Alabama's flagship campus is there. Nobody thinks Auburn is a more major city than Charlotte because Auburn is a better school than UNC-Charlotte. Nobody thinks Ann Arbor is a more significant city than Detroit, etc, etc. It simply *helps* and to be quite frank, is far less of a factor than the other things I mentioned.
LOL, every reply reeked of desperation and made very few if any valid counterpoints. Deep down you know Charlotte is inferior to Raleigh in every measurable way of what people really want in a city, just not big enough to admit it Maybe you need a video to help drive it home. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcnbMwYxpMY

Old 05-04-2015, 05:11 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
LOL, every reply reeked of desperation and made very few if any valid counterpoints. Deep down you know Charlotte is inferior to Raleigh in every measurable way of what people really want in a city, just not big enough to admit it Maybe you need a video to help drive it home. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcnbMwYxpMY
Why do you keep posting that same video? Every time I venture into this thread I see it reposted. Posting it again and again does not help your cause.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:16 PM

Unlike the Cubs, I doubt the Panthers and Pelihorncats will stick around in Charlotte long enough win a title. Only reason Charlotte even has those pro-teams is there is literally nothing in all of metrolina for sports fans (unless you included a bunch of cars going around in circles.) Even with all the collegiate sports teams in the area, each rich in championship banners, Raleigh can STILL support an NFL team….also a champion I might add

Triangle: metro of champions
Metrolina: metro of losers

Old 05-04-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Why do you keep posting that same video? Every time I venture into this thread I see it reposted. Posting it again and again does not help your cause.
Ask the poster I respond to why he posts the same things over and over. unfortunate that I have to repost the same links and videos in response to debunk.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:25 PM

When I travel the state I see Duke, State, UNC jerseys and bumper stickers everywhere, from the coast to the mountains. I hardly ever see a Hornets or Panthers bumper sticker and very few jersey/shirts by comparison, maybe in the Charlotte area that's it.

Doesn't really matter how many pro teams Charlotte or Raleigh gets, college sports will always be king in NC, and those teams will always be in the Triangle.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:30 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
You literally did not debunk a single thing. Not one. Post that video again. Maybe at its conclusion, Raleigh will have an NFL team, a real international airport, and 500,000 new residents.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
You literally did not debunk a single thing. Not one. Post that video again. Maybe at its conclusion, Raleigh will have an NFL team, a real international airport, and 500,000 new residents.
Soooo desperate, lol Now you're just embarrassing yourself Raleigh has a real airport, a real pro sports team, doesn't need an NFL team because there are not one, not two but three of the state's 4 major college football and basketball teams in the greater metro. None of those teams are in Charlotte, that's the only reason they have NFL and NBA. But as I've said before (and a Charlotte friendly poster here has said as well) NFL and NBA is 2nd fiddle to ACC sports in the state.

500,000 we've covered that ad nauseam, now you're just chasing your tail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina