Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
The best high school football and college football is not in North Carolina, but Texas. I lived there I know.
Duke, UNC and State would not have a chance in Texas.
College football is okay here, and occasionally one of those schools (along with Wake and ECU and maybe Appalachian) has a decent team...UT hasn't been good for a while but Baylor and TCU have.

High school football is huge in Texas, but it's better in NC than in a lot of the U.S. GA and FL are just right behind TX.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,161,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Actually, I travel a lot in the region and work mostly from home but they do have a great campus there (consultant). I did not find a better job but wanted to be based closer to family for a number of reasons (older parents, etc).

Come on R540, I love the Triangle but all these overhyped ratings are over the top...it ain't all that. I have actually lived all over the US...where have you lived to compare?

The truth is Charlotte has a much more vibrant and energetic downtown than Raleigh and at least the sports teams give me a reason to go there. I've done tons of museums, #1 rated in real cities like DC, Boston, Chicago, etc...so, well, oh well. And places with real art districts....

Yes, Duke got hot and won it all, I am glad and was happy to be wrong... You and your twin are wrong about many things....as usual, lol...

Edit: My point was about downtown Raleigh, give me a reason to frequent and I will. But Durham/Chapel Hill and surrounding areas does the trick. I will pay a bit more attention to see if any festivals or activities fit the bill. I don't do Bluegrass, etc..
How is it over the top ratings? they're ratings I didn't write them I just posted them. If you don't like the results showing Raleigh/Triangle beating Charlotte/Metrolina in every measurable way of what people want out of a city I suggest you take it up with the publications, not me.

You've been to all those cities and not impressed with Raleigh's arts scene dubbed "the smithsonian of the south" yet having been to all those cities and you're impressed with Charlotte's uptown? Bwaaaahahaha! ok, whatever

Old 05-04-2015, 08:08 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
Texas Memorial Stadium sets 100,119 (2009-present (U Texas)
Kyle Field sets 106,511 (2014) (Texas A&M)

The game's tradition figures into the plot of the 1978 stage musical The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and its film adaptation; in the show, each year the game's winners (in the story, the Aggies) would celebrate at the "Chicken Ranch," until an overzealous news reporter (a character based on Marvin Zindler) endeavors to close the legendary brothel.

I saw the play in Houston and it was a great musical.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Texas Memorial Stadium sets 100,119 (2009-present (U Texas)
Kyle Field sets 106,511 (2014) (Texas A&M)
Careful, Choloboy may report you to the moderators, that's not about Raleigh or Charlotte

Old 05-04-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
And take that trash of the Hurricanes with you (plus I don't watch/like hockey)...and I bet you "guys" (lol) don't either or ever been to a game. I will miss hitting a few of the NBA and NFL games....sorry but collegiate sports is for college towns and pro sports is for major league cities. Plus the stadium and arena are in uptown/downtown Charlotte. What in the hell were these educated hillbillies in Raleigh thinking about? The RBC should be downtown but NC State and the royal educated cow herders run this overgrown cow pasture. I've been trying to muster up a reason the past two months since being back in Durham to visit downtown Raleigh....please oh mighty lords of ratings, give me a reason, I will try to reason with it and go there.

I'm so damn tired of hearing that the Triangle is the best in a gazillion different things that it makes my head spin. I hate the overhyped noise. Bout as much as I hate calling downtown uptown.
Must be why Jacksonville CSA population 1.5 million and Green Bay have NFL teams, lol ! and last I checked Raleigh had a pro sports team, Hockey may not be your thing but the Canes are the only national championship winning team in the state and they are pro, so thanks for finally admitting Raleigh is a major league city, we've known it all along

You want reasons to go downtown Raleigh, here ya go.
Top 10 downtown city arts district in the nation

http://experience.usatoday.com/ameri...e-usa/8807535/
Winner of best chef in the southeast is in downtown Raleigh
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...e10326071.html
excerpts from this link below
http://athomemms.com/index/travel/so...den-treasures/

"Set among gently rolling hills, the capital city of North Carolina is one of three towns in what is known as the Research Triangle, which also includes Durham and Chapel Hill. Live Music Mania ]Known as North Carolina’s “Capital of Live Music,” visitors can experience all styles of music at venues such as the Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion, Lincoln Theatre and Kings Barcade. If you’re a bluegrass fan, you’ll be right at home in Raleigh. North Carolina has a rich history of bluegrass—both Earl Scruggs and the legendary guitarist Doc Watson hail from the state. Just last year, the International Bluegrass Music Association announced they’re moving their World of Bluegrass"event to Raleigh for the next three years—2013, 2014 and 2015. This year, it will be held September 24-28. Culture and Food Noted by some as the“Smithsonian of the South,”\Raleigh offers a variety of outstanding events and programs at the North Carolina Museum of Art, the \Museum of Natural Sciences and the Museum of History. n.c. museum of natural sciences nature researchAfter satisfying your artistic and intellectual side, enjoy Raleigh’s many culinary treasures. Touted as one of the “top 10 tastiest towns in the South” by Southern Living Magazine, the area is best known for its great barbecue, but a host of other restaurants with unique dishes and world-class chefs are outstanding as well."

Is that enough reasons for you to go downtown Raleigh or do you want more? Or is that all just hype I guess from all these various independent publications You sound a little bitter to me though, so maybe you're just a complainer would wouldn't know good food, good culture and good art if it hit you in the face, in spite of all those other cities you've been to, maybe that's the real issue here

PS: If watching a pro basketball team downtown lose season after season is your thing, then no, I guess downtown Raleigh really isn't for you

Last edited by Raleigh540; 05-04-2015 at 08:34 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 08:16 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Like I said, pro sports are a bigger deal than college sports.

NFL > College football
NBA > College basketball

People are passionate about their own schools and in areas without pro teams, the public at large supports the college teams. Just like in areas without major college teams nearby, high school sports can rule the roost.

But nobody is prioritizing college basketball and moving to the Raleigh area. Many people consider the presence of pro franchises when locating to an area. The draw isn't just the Hornets... it is the fact that the best athletes in the world come to play in your town. Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning come to play in Charlotte, not Raleigh. That is a draw.

You forgot to add college football > NBA lol. 2 top 25 ranked teams last year btw. The 3rd just missed the cut!

In N.C. college basketball greater than them all.

With all the talk about pro sports I almost forgot. It's 2 to 1. Ooooooooooh that's a big difference,huh?

Sir and I use sir VERY loosely. You know NOTHING about N.C.! Sports or anything else. It seems you know little about much of anything to be honest. You are probably the worst poster I've ever seen. Some of the Charlotte guys make good points from time to time. Some I don't agree with but whatever. At least they have some idea of what they speak. You on the other hand know nothing. No first hand knowledge at all. How can you compare 2 cities and you've never been to 1 of the cities. Only someone just looking to stir up trouble would even try such a thing.

Rockhill485,we agree on very little. I can at least respect his opinion a little. He at least gas been to Raleigh. You wouldn't even know where you were if someone dropped you off in DT Raleigh. It would be ok though. We are very hospitable people. We try to look out for babes and fools. I'm sure you know which one you are lol.
We'd send you back to trollville ASAP!

Another thing you seem not to care too much for rankings. At least the ones that have Raleigh best in whatever category. You have your opinion it would seem you know more than. Forbes,USA today,Newsweek,the Biz-journals to name a few. Aww heck what do they know? You obviously know better. Hint. It may be the superior public school,lower crime,better unemployment rate,better housing market,lower taxes,better traffic that tipped the scale lol.

Last edited by Atowwn; 05-04-2015 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 08:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Raleigh IS great and has a lot going for it...and is nationally recognized as a good city for a lot of reasons. But disparaging Charlotte doesn't make Raleigh any better, so it's hard to understand why some people want to do this. It appears to be classic inferiority complex, and there is no need for someone from Raleigh to feel like his city is inferior.

I have seen it on other sites (and this one to some extent) where some people from Greensboro always seem to have to one-up everything about Winston-Salem...it doesn't make their city any better to act like that.
I agree with this post and as you have seen in my post I love the Triangle area and the state of NC. I'm actually from the state and, IMHO, this is the best state in the union. From the mountains to outer banks. The Piedmont Crescent is the center of the NC population and its anchored by the Triangle and Metrolina. I do think that Charlotte is the best city in NC and that is a subjective response and it's hard to quantify. I understand some may disagree and they have the right to. Some things that you can't argue against are the facts. Charlotte has a higher GDP, TPI, larger and busier airport, better public transportation, larger corporate presence, more retail sales, and a more global economy (perhaps subjective but I can back this up). The Triangle has better higher education, more IT, and faster growing metro. These things that you can't take away from either one and it adds to the state. Truth is, Charlotte and the Triangle are really not competition for each other but their economies compliment each other. Below is an article from the Brookihgs Institute regarding global connectedness among US metros.

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/res...orldcities.pdf

Old 05-04-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I agree with this post and as you have seen in my post I love the Triangle area and the state of NC. I'm actually from the state and, IMHO, this is the best state in the union. From the mountains to outer banks. The Piedmont Crescent is the center of the NC population and its anchored by the Triangle and Metrolina. I do think that Charlotte is the best city in NC and that is a subjective response and it's hard to quantify. I understand some may disagree and they have the right to. Some things that you can't argue against are the facts. Charlotte has a higher GDP, TPI, larger and busier airport, better public transportation, larger corporate presence, more retail sales, and a more global economy (perhaps subjective but I can back this up). The Triangle has better higher education, more IT, and faster growing metro. These things that you can't take away from either one and it adds to the state. Truth is, Charlotte and the Triangle are really not competition for each other but their economies compliment each other. Below is an article from the Brookihgs Institute regarding global connectedness among US metros.

And yet, when independent publications put all of that into the mix and more, Raleigh beats Charlotte hands down.

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/lifestyl...-09202011.html

"Businessweek.com spent months working with data that would help us to identify the best cities in the U.S. We looked at a range of positive metrics around quality of life, counted up restaurants, evaluated school scores, and considered the number of colleges and pro sports teams. All these factors and more add up to a city that would seem to offer it all. When we began the process we had no idea which cities would come out on top. The winner? Raleigh, N.C. To most residents of Raleigh, it may not come as a surprise that their city earned the title of America’s Best City. Raleigh shows the cultural graces that go along with anchoring the so-called Research Triangle, home to North Carolina State University, Duke University, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Among its many attributes the city sports 867 restaurants, 110 bars, and 51 museums, according to Onboard Informatics, as well as a thriving social scene, good schools, and 12,512 park acres, equal to several times the green space per capita in cities like New York and Los Angeles, according to the Trust for Public Land. It also offers a great deal on nights and weekends—from concerts and opera, to the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes and college sports, to the 30,000-square-foot State Farmers Market."

Old 05-04-2015, 08:45 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
For my friend that loves lists and has touted the Triangle's tech sector check out this listing. I am by no means gloating against the Triangle but let's not forget the tech bust of 2001.

Portland(8), Raleigh-Durham(13) These towns have been "cities of the future" for years. Too bad the future is more complicated than envisioned. High costs and the antibusiness mood in Portland has hurt it. Raleigh-Durham's overconcentration on tech is a problem, but the basic cost structure is still not impossible. Bet on a better showing from the Carolina region within a year or two.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:52 PM

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"A global city, also called world city or sometimes alpha city or world center, is a city generally considered to be an important node in the global economic system. The concept comes from geography and urban studies and rests on the idea that globalization can be understood as largely created, facilitated, and enacted in strategic geographic locales according to a hierarchy of importance to the operation of the global system of finance and trade."

Raleigh: Gamma
Charlotte: Gamma +

In spite of all Charlottes supposed financial clout and all those banks, it's still practically a wash.

Now lets compare tech.

RTP: "Largest research park in the WORLD"
List of research parks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Raleigh: One of the WORLD'S emerging tech hubs
https://transferwise.com/blog/2014-0...ing-tech-hubs/

Not even close to being a wash, Raleigh blows Charlotte out of the water here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina