Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,298,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
That's what they're calling it "Raleigh Central Park". Take it up with them.

Dix is 308 acres, a whopping over 1/3 the size of Central Park in NYC (I think you can tell from your photo above how big Raleigh's urban destination park is going to be) it's adjacent to downtown Raleigh.

Freedom Park is 98 acres and 3 miles from uptown.

So you tell me, which is more comparable to the original Central Park?
Charlotte doesn't need a 300 acre park in or near Uptown anymore than Raleigh needs a 800+ft skyscraper. you may call it sterile but is sure does house employees who pay state and local taxes, have salaries, the owner of the building pays taxes, water usage, power usage, etc. It's a domino effect. Of course I don't need to tell you that since you come from the Smithsonian of the South.

Charlotte has several nice parks around town and Freedom park does just fine. The Sugar Creek Greenway is quite a draw as well. I have no doubt that the 300 acre park will have a transformative effect on vibe of downtown and when I visit the in-laws I'll check it out. But Charlotte doesn't necessarily need a 300 acre park any more than Raleigh needs skyscrapers.

3,051 posts, read 3,437,853 times
Pollack Shores Real Estate out of Atlanta has bid on property in uptown Charlotte. They will pay $12.2 million for 4 acres.
If no upsetting bit comes in they have the property. Today, looks like soil testing is going on. We will have to wait and see what they will come up with.

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
I think that a city can zone now to get better development such as retail on ground level.
Definitely...and I feel sure that Portman has evolved with the times.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The there's places like Dubai, manufactured "culture" and entertainment, very little character or soul….but they have a lot of new tall buildings
You're saying Dubai has no soul?

Old 05-05-2015, 06:20 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,547 times
Haven't been to any of those except New York, but New York flies in the face of the idea that you can't have culture and high rises. I think the tendency is more for cities who built most of their highrises in the 50s-80s to have a vacuum in those areas because we somehow forgot how to do mixed use buildings with retail on bottom, office/residential on top. Dallas's CBD comes to mind. The stuff in Dallas is more on the edges around downtown. Denver was the same way as well for a long, except for the whole 16th street area/Larimer Square.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:34 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,161,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
You're saying Dubai has no soul?
If you think so I have the perfect NC city for you

Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
If you think it does I have the perfect NC city for you
You know, at this point it's really hard for me to take anything you say seriously. It's one thing to prefer Paris or DC over Dubai. But to call Dubai a city with no soul is either inflammatory or ignorance.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Haven't been to any of those except New York, but New York flies in the face of the idea that you can't have culture and high rises. I think the tendency is more for cities who built most of their highrises in the 50s-80s to have a vacuum in those areas because we somehow forgot how to do mixed use buildings with retail on bottom, office/residential on top. Dallas's CBD comes to mind. The stuff in Dallas is more on the edges around downtown. Denver was the same way as well for a long, except for the whole 16th street area/Larimer Square.
I think this is a fair assessment. Charlotte was doing well at one point until the Odell Plan in the 60s. It had some good points but the jury is still out there.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:39 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
For a city of 12 million that's a small skyline. Of course, Paris has miles and miles of ancient architecture so there's no shortage of pretty stuff to look at, also... it's Paris. Berlin or St Petersburg would've been more extreme examples perhaps.

Ah, I couldn't find the floor count for the hotel next to the McDonalds, so I left it off. I vaguely remember 14-ish but I might wait until it's more concrete.

R&R bought the Greyhound site last year--which is what caused the move, and announced they were building a 10 floor hotel there. Hopefully they can follow through this time, but buying the lot shows some commitment. Kane also bought the Dillon Warehouse site and may end up putting more than one tower there. Possibly an office and a residential tower, and one of them could end up being 20 floors, but I kept it conservative.

I would not be satisfied with anything less than 40 stories on the N&O lot. It begs for something that height, but I agree. My favorite low-key project is the Stone's Warehouse renovation, into a grocer with retail and residential. That will be just about the perfect funky little urban spot when that's done.

Look at that! That will be saved and converted into a really cool place. The greenway to Chavis Park is right across the street.
This one I've been watching for quite a while now. It will be pretty cool when it's finished. I'm glad it could be reached to save it. I actually grew up in the projects right next to Stones Warehouse. That was a long time ago about 20 year ago. I remember walking by there often on my way DT. The bay door was usually half way up or so. You could see all the cars inside. We called it the chop shop. Can't say they were chopping cars,but I still have my suspicions lol. That entire block was a red light district. You name it you could get it lol. Now the hipsters are coming. Who woulda thunk it? This reminds me of a funny video. I think this will apply to Charlotte as well. The Hipsters is coming lol
http://youtu.be/hxjAZ6utVFY

As far as the N&O site. You're right nothing less than 40! That site is too important. Something as you put it,transformative is a must. Raleigh's new tallest. Fingers crossed.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:42 PM

743 posts, read 825,131 times
[quote=Raleigh540;39500080]Is it 300 acres and adjacent to downtown?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...North_Carolina)[/QUOTE
Is it directly adjacent to Uptown? No but Dilworth is& it is connected via a Greenway that eventually will connect the Lake Norman area to the north & the 1,500 Anne Close Greenway in Ft Mill,SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.