Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 06:56 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times

Advertisements

Under Construction in Uptown Charlotte Only

Mint Apartments -3rd Ward
Woodfield Apartments- 3rd ward
Ascent Apartments 3rd - ward
525 South Church Street Apartments - 3rd ward
300 South Tryon (27 story office building) - 3rd ward
300 South Tryon Hotel - 3rd ward
Embassy Suites uptown - 2nd ward
Fountains At Stonewall Apartments - 2nd ward
1st Ward Park - 1st Ward
Lynx Blue Line Extension - 1st Ward
Lynx Gold Line Testing - 1st Ward
Skyhouse I & II and parking deck - 4th ward

Starting June 01, 2015

Tryon Place (Office Building and hotel)
615 South College office building
AC Hotel & Residence Inn
Springhill Hotel

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-10-2015 at 07:06 AM..

Old 05-10-2015, 07:28 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Business travel seems most likely. Which is still good that Charlotte gets more, but I'd think the recreational options in Wilmington and Asheville trump either of the state's biggest cities, yet apparently they get less tourism as well.
I dont think so. I'm going to go with Carowinds, US White Water Center, South Park & Concord Mills (and oddly IKEA... Which I am so puzzled over? Ikea sucks) All of those attract people all over the Carolina's a lot. Also NFL (lots of people from the Carolinas come not just for the panthers but the Ravens, Patriots, etc)

Charlotte attracts a lot of people from SC. We have the amenities & shopping.

Virginia, they would just go to DC for major shopping amenities & such. I imagine.

Not too mention, college sports which get overlooked are Clemson & Gamecocks. There are tons of Clemson & gamecock fans here. I actually rarely see Duke/UNC (I never see NC state), I mostly see UNCC, Texas, Florida & Buckeyes.

In the rural part of the metro, I Mostly seen Clemson, UNC, Gamecocks & Duke

I go, and I know lots of people, who visit Atlanta because of GA aquarium, myself included.

If you're talking just coming to stroll around downtown, then Asheville, Charleston, Greenville SC, Savannah GA & Richmond obviously win that battle

Edit: forgot NASCAR. NASCAR is a huge draw. Not just the hall of fame, but mutiple other museums, drivers headquarters, 2 big races, etc. you'd be surprised at allll the Canadians that come down for it & really all the people from the north, south & Midwest.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 05-10-2015 at 07:38 AM..

Old 05-10-2015, 07:38 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Charlotte

No. 1 Most Entrepreneurial Cities Dec. 2014 Global Trade Magazine of 50 cities
No. 1 Highest Percentage of Women in IT Workforce by State Feb. 2015 NCTA of states
No. 4 Cities Where African-Americans Are Doing the Best Economically Jan. 2015 Forbes of 52 largest metro areas
No. 2 Fastest-Growing Big Cities over 500,000 in the U.S. Dec. 2014 U.S. Census Bureau of 34 cities
No. 3 America’s Top 5 Cities to Keep on Your Radar Oct. 2014 Huffington Post of cities
No. 1 Best Big City Bargains Sept. 14 Money Magazine of cities with 500,000+ population
No. 1 Most Competitive Large-Size Airports Sept. 14 Air Transport Research Society of 200 airports
No. 2 Best Cities for Recent College Graduates April 2014 Apartments.com of 100 cities with highest apartment availability
No. 3 Opportunity Cities Jan. 2014 Yahoo.com of metro areas of 1 million plus in population
No. 5 Best Places for Job Seekers Jan. 2014 Nerdwallet.com of 50 large cities
No. 2 Happiest City for Job-Seeking College Graduates May 2013 Career Bliss of U.S. cities
No. 1 Best Employee Engagement Apr. 2013 Forbes of 10 cities
No. 2 Most Desirable Place to Purchase a Home Feb. 2013 Nerdwallet.com of 25 largest cities
No. 1 Largest Population Increase (%) 2000-2010 Mar. 2012 U.S. Census of 42 urbanized areas of 1M+
No. 1 Top Library for Children (ImaginOn) Feb. 2012 Liveability.com of 500 children’s libraries

Charlotte tops list of best places to work for a small business
Charlotte tops list of best places to work for a small business - Charlotte Business Journal

Here's a newer job ranking. Not from 2012/13
City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/01/14/nerdwallet-oops-just-kidding-on-charlottes-great.html

Also the article you posted yesterday about the Gateway Station was old. There's been no movement on Gateway recently has there? I did find the article interesting though. A few statements stick out to me. One by N.C.. Rep Bill Brawley.

"I suspect there will be lots of development there" referring to the area around Gateway,I'm assuming.

Two by Michael Smith,who heads CCCP.

"The project could be TRANSFORMATIVE"

"Those kind of rail stations are going to help shape and predict the success of cities"

He seems to think that Gateway would be a big deal. Oh a big deal like Raleigh Union Station is going to be? I imagine he would use words such a TRANSFORMATIVE to describe Raleigh's new transit hub also.

Another thing,that's a nice list of employers. When those employers push Charlotte's/metro unemployment lower than Raleigh's or the Triangles. Then you might have something. Until then that list isn't worth a hill of beans. I'll take higher median income and home values. Also a better housing market recovery. Along with almost a full point better unemployment any day.

EDIT Ohh so the AC Hotel Uptown hasn't started yet? You know the one in Raleigh started over a month ago lol nice list of apartments too,impressive

Old 05-10-2015, 09:31 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/01/14/nerdwallet-oops-just-kidding-on-charlottes-great.html

Also the article you posted yesterday about the Gateway Station was old. There's been no movement on Gateway recently has there? I did find the article interesting though. A few statements stick out to me. One by N.C.. Rep Bill Brawley.

"I suspect there will be lots of development there" referring to the area around Gateway,I'm assuming.

"Those kind of rail stations are going to help shape and predict the success of cities"

He seems to think that Gateway would be a big deal. Oh a big deal like Raleigh Union Station is going to be? I imagine he would use words such a TRANSFORMATIVE to describe Raleigh's new transit hub also.

Another thing,that's a nice list of employers. When those employers push Charlotte's/metro unemployment lower than Raleigh's or the Triangles. Then you might have something. Until then that list isn't worth a hill of beans. I'll take higher median income and home values. Also a better housing market recovery. Along with almost a full point better unemployment any day.

EDIT Ohh so the AC Hotel Uptown hasn't started yet? You know the one in Raleigh started over a month ago lol nice list of apartments too,impressive

Nobody has said that the train station won't be a big project and a big boost for Raleigh. It certainly will be. My contention is that it will be the "centerpiece of transit in the state of North Carolina". That is a joke. Everyone knows the centerpiece of transit in the state is Charlotte's airport. More jobs, more economic impact, more passenger traffic... and we are talking orders of magnitude more than Raleigh's train station.

As for the unemployment and median income and what not... you should check out Loving County, Texas. No people under the poverty line in the 2000 census and I think just one or two int he 2010 census.

Charlotte is the economic powerhouse of the state by whatever metric you want to use. Birmingham, Alabama, has a lower unemployment rate than New York City...and Riverside, California, has a higher home values than Chicago.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post

Gateway Station will not look like some pictures on this forum. I read that it will a different style building. I did not like the last rendering of the station.

It want take long for AC Hotel to get started. The don't have to do any big foundation work. Does Raleigh think the new Union Station will increase riders out of Raleigh on Amtrak?

If it was not for Mecklenburg and Wake counties, North Carolina would be hurting in the rankings.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:48 AM

Things I like about Raleigh.

The Farmers Market (best in the state)
Pullen Park (great park)
NC State (family went there)
Meredith College (family went there)
Lots of good retail
Restaurants
Family that lives in Raleigh

I am not into bars & clubs anywhere

The difference between parks in Charlotte and Raleigh are, Most all Charlotte parks are Mecklenburg County Parks and Raleigh has city parks.
So I like parks in both cities of Charlotte and Raleigh.

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-10-2015 at 11:04 AM..

Old 05-10-2015, 01:53 PM

Crescent sparks community conversation at Skyline Charlotte event uptown

Crescent Communities sparks community conversation at Skyline Charlotte event uptown - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 05-10-2015, 02:19 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,161,608 times
RALEIGH 2005-2015: 470 TOP ACCOLADES. 324 TOP 10'S. 50 #1'S.

#1 Best City – Education Quotient (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, December 2005
#1 Area for Tech Business (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Silicon Valley Leadership Group, September 2005
#2 Among Places to Attend School and “Rock” (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Rolling Stone, August 2005
#3 Best Large Metro for New Businesses and Entrepreneurs (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – National Policy Research Council, October 2005
#3 Hottest City for Entrepreneurs (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Entrepreneur, October 2005
#5 Best Inner City for Small Businesses (Raleigh, NC) – Small Business Administration, November 2005
#6 Market for Development of Neurotechnology Industry – Neurotech Nexus Report, August 2005
#7 Richest City (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes, November 2005
#10 Safest City (Cary, NC) – Morgan Quitno Press, November 2005
#12 Top Real Estate Market (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Expansion Management, August 2005
Top “Seven Cool Cities” for Young Professionals (Raleigh, NC) – Kiplinger’s Personal Finance, October 2005
Top Ten Fast Cities/ Hubs for Creative Class Talent (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Fast Company, November 2005
Top 20 Best Places to Live, Work & Play (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Homebuilder.com, November 2005
#1 Best City for Women Entrepreneurs (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – AllBusiness.com, November 2006
#1 Area Overall (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Tampa Bay Partnership Regional Economic Scorecard, September 2006
#1 Area for Tech Business (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Silicon Valley Leadership Group, September 2006
#1 Highest Growth County in NC (Wake County, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, March 2006
#1 City for Federally Funded Economic Development Incentives (Raleigh, NC) – Public Policy Forum, March 2006
#2 Best Value Public Colleges (North Carolina State University) – Princeton Review, March 2006
#2 Best Place for Business & Careers (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes, May 2006
#3 Best City for Entrepreneurs (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Entrepreneur.com, August 2006
#3 Top Metro Overall (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management’s Mayor’s Challenge, August 2006
#3 Most Educated City (Raleigh, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau – American Community Survey, 2004 (Released January 2006)
#3 Best U.S. City for Bargains (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Hotwire Travel Value Index, January 2006
4 Greatest Home Price Appreciation Market (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Veros, July 2006
#5 Most Wired City (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, August 2006
#6 Area for Relocating Singles (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Primacy Relocation, October 2006
#6 Best City for Singles (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Forbes.com, July 2006
#7 Brainiest Small Cities (Cary, NC) – Bizjournal.com, June 2006
#7 Best Hospital for Specialty Care (Duke Medical Center) – U.S. News & World Report, July 2006
#8 Safest City (Cary, NC) – Morgan Quitno Press, October 2006
#10 Fastest Growing MSA (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, July 2000 – July 2005 (Released August 2006)
#10 Best Walking City (Raleigh, NC) – Prevention, March 2006
#12 Best Sports City (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – The Sporting News, August 2006#15 Climate Ranking – Business Development Outlook, September/October 2006
#13 Fastest Growing City in the Nation (Raleigh, NC)
#16 Hottest City for Business Relocation & Expansion (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, February 2006
#22 Fastest Growing City in the Nation (Cary, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, June 2006
5-Star Quality of Life Metro (Raleigh, NC) – Expansion Management’s Quality of Life Quotient, May/June 2006
5-Star Business Metro for Business Expansion (Raleigh, NC) – Expansion Management, July/August 2006
Top 10 Projected Home Appreciation Market (Raleigh, NC) – MSN.com, April 2006
#1 Top Business Climate (North Carolina) – Site Selection, November 2007
#1 Best Place for Business and Careers (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes, April 2007
#1 Best U.S. City for Jobs (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Forbes.com, February 2007
#1 School District in the Nation for Certified Teachers (Wake County) – National Board of Certified Teachers, January 2007
#1 Seller’s Market-Residential (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, June 2007
#3 Best City for Relocating Families – Medium Markets (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Worldwide ERC and Primacy Relocation, 2007 Report
3 Economic Development Hot Spot (Wake County, NC) – National Policy Research Council, September 2007
#3 Techiest City in America (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 (Data released September 2007)
#3 5-Star Business Opportunity Metro (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, August 2007
#3 America’s Best Jobs in the Hottest Cities (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Business 2.0, May 2007
#3 Best City for African Americans (Raleigh, NC) – Black Enterprise, May 2007
#3 Metro for College Educated Workers (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, April 2007
#4 Hottest Job Market for Young Adults (Raleigh, NC) – Bizjournals, April 2007
#5 Best Place to Find a Mate (Raleigh, NC) – Men’s Health, March 2007
#7 Top Appreciating Metro Are (Raleigh, NC) – Money, December 2007
#8 Fastest Growing Large City (Cary, NC) Fast Company, July 2007
#8 Fastest Growing Metro in the Nation (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, April 2007
#10 Economic Development Hot Spot (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – National Policy Research Council, September 2007
#10 Large Metro for Business Recruitment & Attraction (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Expansion Management, May/June 2007
#12 Most Affordable Real Estate Market in the Nation (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Forbes.com, August 2007
#12 Best Market for Female Execs and Women Business Owners (Raleigh, NC) – Bizjournals, August 2007
#15 Most Educated Workforce (Raleigh, NC) – Business Facilities, July 2007
#15 Fastest Growing Large City (Raleigh, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 (Data released 2007)
#16 Top Real Estate Market (Raleigh, NC) – Expansion Management, October 2007
#22 Best Place to Live (Holly Springs, NC) – Money, July 2007
#63 Fastest Growing Suburb in America (Apex, NC) – Forbes.com, August 2007
5-Star Public Education Metro (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, December 2007
“Fast City” for Research and Development (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Fast Company, July 2007
Top Research Science Park (North Carolina State University – Centennial Campus) – The Association of University Research Parks, November 2007
Top 5 Cities for Young Singles (Raleigh, NC) – Kiplinger’s Best Cities for Every Stage of Your Life List, June 2007
Top 10 Tech Town (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Wired Magazine, January 2007
Top 10 Places in the South for the Creative Class (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Southern Business and Development, Winter 2007
Top 25 Places for Retirement Jobs (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – MarketWatch, November 2007
Top 50 Hottest Cities for Expanding and Relocating Companies (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, February 2007
Gold Rating (Wake County Schools) – Expansion Management’s Education Quotient, January 2007
#1 Most Political City (Raleigh, NC) – Men’s Health, October 2008
#1 Lowest Metro Crime Ranking in North Carolina (Raleigh-Cary) – CQ Press, November 2008
#1 Best Place to Live in the U.S. (Raleigh, NC) – msnbc.com, June 2008
#1 Pro-Business State (North Carolina) – Pollina.com, June 2008
#1 Best Place for Young Adults (Raleigh, NC) – Bizjournals, May 2008
#1 Best Place for Business and Careers (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, March 2008
#1 Healthiest City for Men (Raleigh, NC) – Men’s Health, January 2008
#2 Best City for Bargain House-Hunters (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, February 2008
#2 Best Performing City (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – The Milken Institute, September 2008
#2 Best City to Live, Work and Play (Raleigh, NC) – Kiplinger’s, July 2008
#2 State with the Best Business Climate (North Carolina) – Development Counsellors International, July 2008
#2 Metro Entering Slow Period With Most Positive Momentum (Raleigh, NC) – bizjournals, November 2008
#3 Most Wired City (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, January 2008
#3 Most Romantic City for Baby Boomers (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Sperling’s BestPlaces, March 2008
#4 Best State for Business (North Carolina) – Forbes.com, July 2008
#4 MSA With Highest Concentration of Employment – Drugs and Pharmaceuticals (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Business Facilities, July 2008
#4 Top Gay Ghetto (Raleigh)- GayRealEstate.com, June 2008
#4 Major Market in the South (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Southern Business & Development, Winter 2008
#5 Most Sober City (Raleigh-Cary) – US News and World Report, December 2008
#5 Best Medium-Sized City for Families with Children (Raleigh, NC) – Who’s Your City?, May 2008
#5 Recession-Proof City (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, April 2008
#6 Largest Concentration of Drug and Pharmaceutical Jobs (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Technology, Talent and Capital: State Bioscience Initiatives 2008, June 2008
#6 Medium-Sized Metro (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Site Selection, March 2008
#8 Best City for Recent College Grads (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Forbes.com, June 2008
#9 Best City for Jobs (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, January 2008
#9 Market in the South for Advanced Manufacturing (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Southern Business & Development, Winter 2008
#10 Quirkiest New Year’s Eve Drop (Raleigh’s acorn) – TripAdvisor, December 2008
#10 U.S. City with the Largest Numerical Increase (Raleigh, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, July 2008
#10 Least Miserable Airport (Raleigh-Durham Intl.) – U.S. News & World Report, February 2008
#12 Highest Concentration of Tech Workers (Raleigh, NC) – AeA’s Cybercities 2008, June 2008
#15 Lowest City Crime Ranking in United States (Cary) – CQ Press, November 2008
#20 Best Place to Live and Launch (Raleigh, NC) – CNNMoney.com, March 2008
#23 Best Place in the South to Locate Your Company (Raleigh, NC) – Southern Business & Development, Spring 2008
Best Medical Spa in America 2008 (Blue Water Spa of Raleigh) – American Spa Magazine, December 2008
2008 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, October 2008
Best Large City for Business (Raleigh-Cary) – NewGeography.com, December 2008
The Best American City for Singles (Raleigh, NC) – Every Day with Rachael Ray, January 2008
Top Five Strongest Real Estate Market (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Veros.com, January 2008
Top 9 Amazing New Airports (Terminal 2, RDU International Airport, Morrisville) – MSN Travel, September 2008
Top Ten Great Innovation Market in the South (Raleigh-Cary-Durham, NC) – Southern Business & Development, Winter 2008
Top 15 Place for Cultured Retirement (Raleigh, NC) – Smithsonian.com, April 2008
#1 among America’s Smartest Cities–from First to Worst (Raleigh-Cary MSA plus Durham MSA) – The Daily Beast, October 2009
#1 Attraction in North Carolina Most Visited by school groups (N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) – Carolina Publishing Associates, October 2009
#1 City with Best Economic Potential (Raleigh)- fDi Magazine, April 2009
#1 Best Place for Business and Careers (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, March 2009
#1 Fastest-Growing Metropolitan Area in the Country (Raleigh-Cary) – U.S. Census Bureau, March 2009
#1 City Where Americans Are Relocating (Raleigh)- Forbes.com, April 2009
#1 Top City for Small Business (Raleigh, NC) – Bizjournals and portfolio.com, February 2009
#2 Best Sports Franchise (Carolina Hurricanes, Raleigh) – ESPN the Magazine, July 2009
#2 Most Efficient Airport in North America for 3rd Consecutive Year (RDU International Airport, Morrisville) – Air Transport Research Society, July 2009
#2 Most Cost-Competitive Airport in North America (RDU International Airport, Morrisville) – Air Transport Research Society, July 2009
#2 Splurge Worthy Restaurant in Readers’ Choice Awards (Angus Barn, Raleigh) – Southern Living, January 2009
#2 Best Festival or Fair in Readers’ Choice Awards (North Carolina State Fair, Raleigh) – Southern Living, January 2009
#2 Best State to Do Business In (North Carolina) – Chief Executive Magazine, March 2009
#3 Best Place to Move (Apex) – Forbes.com, July 2009
#3 Best Place to Launch a Small Business (Raleigh-Cary) – Fortune Small Business, October 2009
#3 Most Visited Attraction in North Carolina (N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) – Carolina Publishing Associates, January 2009
3rd highest percentage (40%) of adults with at least a bachelor’s degree among Combined Statistical Areas nationwide (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Triangle Business Journal and U.S. Census Bureau, September 2009
3rd largest concentration of modernist houses in America (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) – Triangle Modernist Archive, Inc., August 2009
#4 among America’s Best Cities for Dating (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) – Sperling’s BestPlaces, January 2009
4th highest percentage (15.35%) of adults with a master’s degree or higher among Combined Statistical Areas nationwide (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Triangle Business Journal and U.S. Census Bureau, September 2009
#5 Fastest-Growing Metropolitan Area in the Country (Raleigh-Cary) – Easy Analytic Software, May 2009
#5 Leading Life Sciences Clusters in the U.S. (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Milken Institute, May 2009
#5 Top City for Designers and Artists (Raleigh-Cary)- ArtBistro.com, May 2009
#6 Best Places to Live and Work for Young Professionals: Mighty Micros (Cary) – Next Generation Consulting, June 2009
#6 Healthiest Housing Market (Raleigh) – Builderonline.com, February 2009
#6 Best Value Public College for 2009 (North Carolina State University, Raleigh) – USA Today, January 2009
#8 Best Place to Move (Cary) – Forbes.com, July 2009
#8 Best Big Cities for Jobs (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, May 2009
#10 Attraction in North Carolina Most Visited by school groups (N.C. Museum of History, Raleigh) – Carolina Publishing Associates, October 2009
#10 Most Visited Attraction in North Carolina (N.C. Museum of History, Raleigh) – Carolina Publishing Associates, January 2009
#10 Best City of 2009 (Raleigh-Cary)- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance, May 2009
#10 among 2009 Best Performing Cities (Raleigh-Cary) – Milken Institute, November 2009
#10 High-Tech Centers in the U.S. (Raleigh) – American City Business Journals, May 2009
#12 Best Places to Live and Work for Young Professionals: Midsized Magnets (Raleigh) – Next Generation Consulting, June 2009
#16 Cities Where Americans Are Getting Richer (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, December 2009
#17 Best Sports City (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) – Sporting News, October 2009
#18 Sports-Obsessed City in the U.S. (Raleigh) – Men’s Health, July 2009
#18 MSA with Highest Rate of House Price Appreciation (Raleigh-Cary) – Federal Housing Finance Agency, February 2009
#19 Lowest City Crime Ranking in United States (Cary) – CQ Press, November 2009
#20 Most Fit MSA (Raleigh-Cary) – The American College of Sports Medicine, May 2009
#22 Most Visited Attraction in North Carolina (N.C. Museum of Art, Raleigh) – Carolina Publishing Associates, January 2009
#24 Top Arts Destination among Mid-Size Cities (Raleigh) – AmericanStyle Magazine, April 2009
#28 Best Place to Raise a Family (Raleigh) – Children’s Health Magazine, September 2009
Sixth-highest percentage (5%) of adults with a doctorate or professional degree among Combined Statistical Areas nationwide (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Triangle Business Journal and U.S. Census Bureau, September 2009
#44 Best Places to Live: America’s Best Small Towns (Apex) – Money Magazine, July 2009
11 Restaurants Worth the Money: Southeast (Poole’s Diner, Raleigh) – Gourmet, October 2009
Road Warriors’ Favorite Cities for Business Trips (Raleigh) – USA Today, August 2009
Top 10 New Barbecue Restaurants (The Pit, Raleigh) – Bon Appétit, July 2009
Green Building of America Award (Wake Technical Community College, Raleigh) – Construction Communications, July 2009
500 World’s Best Hotels 2010 (The Umstead Hotel & Spa, Cary) – Travel + Leisure, December 2009
10 Great Places to Pitch In at a State Park (William B. Umstead State Park, Raleigh) – USA Today, July 2009
2009 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, July 2009
Great Colleges to Work For (Wake Technical Community College, Raleigh) – The Chronicle of Higher Education, July 2009
Strongest Metro Area in North Carolina (Raleigh-Cary) – Brookings Institution, June 2009
50 Best Burgers (Raleigh Times Bar, Raleigh)- Food Network, May 2009
50 Best New U.S. Restaurants (The Pit, Raleigh) – Travel + Leisure, April 2009
Ultimate Hyatt Place Hotel (Hyatt Place Raleigh-Durham Airport, Morrisville) – Hyatt Hotels & Resorts, March 2009
Tree City USA recognition (Cary, Raleigh, Wendell and Zebulon) – Arbor Day Foundation, March 2009
Award of Excellence (Greater Raleigh CVB) – SportsEvents Magazine, February 2009
Mobil Four-Star Award (The Umstead Spa and Herons at the Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Mobil Travel Guide, January 2009
10 Great Cities for Salary Growth (Raleigh-Cary) – Yahoo! Hotjobs, January 2009
Midtown Diamond Award for Best Martini (The Red Room Tapas Lounge, Raleigh) – Midtown Magazine, January 2009
North Carolina’s Axis of Cool (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – New York Times T:Travel Magazine, November 2010
#8 Best City for Job Growth (Raleigh-Cary)- Newgeography.com, November 2010
Top 10 Places in America Poised for Recovery (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Newsweek, November 2010
#8 Safest City in the U.S. (Cary) – CQ Press, November 2010
Top 10 Rated Irish Bars (Hibernian Restaurant and Pub, Raleigh) – Irishbeerfinder.com, November 2010
#1 County in Green Jobs (Wake County) – N.C. Sustainable Energy Association, October 2010
#4 among America’s Smartest Cities (Raleigh-Cary MSA plus Durham MSA) – The Daily Beast, October 2010
#7 Best-Performing City (Raleigh-Cary) – Milken Institute, October 2010
Great American Bites: 51 Great Burger Joints (Char-Grill, Raleigh) – USA Today, October 2010
Top 10 Best Cities for Families (Raleigh) – Parenting.com, September 2010
#4 Among America’s Smartest Cities (Raleigh-Cary) – CNNMoney.com, October 2010
#4 Least-Stressed Metropolitan Area Among the 50 Biggest U.S. Metros (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com, September 2010
#1 Among 10 Great Cities for Raising Families (Raleigh) – Kiplinger’s, August 2010
2010 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, August 2010
#11 Brainiest City in America (Raleigh-Cary) – The Daily Beast, August 2010
Best N.C.-Style Pig (The Pit, Raleigh) – Food Network Magazine, August 2010
#1 for Top Public Schools: Large U.S. Cities (Wake County Public School System) – greatschools, August 2010
25th Lowest Average Domestic Fares for 1st Quarter 2010 (RDU International Airport) – Bureau of Transportation Statistics, August 2010
Most Efficient Small/Medium Airport in North America (RDU International Airport) – Air Transport Research Society, July 2010
Strangest Fair Food (North Carolina State Fair, Raleigh) – Travel+Leisure, July 2010
#3 among Best Places for Business and Careers (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, July 2010
Best Business Bars in America (Wild Turkey Bar & Lounge, Angus Barn, Raleigh) – Entrepreneur, July 2010
#34 Among Top Large City Hotels in U.S./Canada (The Umstead Hotel & Spa, Cary) – Travel+Leisure, July 2010
#10 Among the Best Cities for Families (Raleigh) – Parenting.com, June 2010
#23 Best Places to Live: America’s Best Small Cities (Cary) – CNNMoney.com, July 2010
#3 Cost Competitive North American City (Raleigh) – KPMG LLC, June 2010
20th Fastest Growing Incorporated Place in the U.S. over 100,000 Population (Raleigh) – U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, June 2010
One of the South’s Best Pies (Angus Barn Restaurant, Raleigh) – Southern Living, June 2010
#3 Top Metro for Small Business (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, April 2010
#3 Most Innovative City (Raleigh) – Forbes, May 2010
#1 in Quality of Life among Major Markets (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, May 2010
#15 in Economic Strength Rankings (Raleigh-Cary) – Policom Corporation, May 2010
Top 100 Fun Places in America (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, April 2010
#8 Best Place to Live (Raleigh-Cary) – RelocateAmerica.com, April 2010
#3 Best Place for Business and Careers (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, April 2010
38th Least Expensive Destination for Business Travelers out of 100 U.S. Cities (Raleigh) – Business Travel News, April 2010
45th Fastest Growing U.S. County with 10,000 or More Population in 2009 (Wake County) – U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, March 2010
4th Fastest Growing U.S. Metropolitan Area from 2000 to 2009 (Raleigh-Cary) – U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, March 2010
49th-Largest Metropolitan Statistical Area (Raleigh-Cary) – U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, March 2010
#3 Best Market for Young Adults (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com, March 2010
#2 Cheapest Midsized Market to Do Business (Raleigh) – KPMG LLC, March 2010
#8 among Top Value Destinations on Travel Value Index (Raleigh) – Hotwire.com, March 2010
#1 among America’s Most Wired Cities (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, March 2010
#3 Metro Area for Overall Well-Being (Raleigh-Cary) – Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, February 2010
Best New Courses of 2009 (Lonnie Poole Golf Course at N.C. State University, Raleigh) – Links Magazine, February 2010
Museums to Visit in 2011 (North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh) – Southern Living, December 2010
500 World’s Best Hotels 2011 (The Umstead Hotel & Spa, Cary) – Travel + Leisure, December 2010
2010 Best Overall Winner – Top 50 Restaurant List (Saint Jacques French Cuisine, Raleigh) – OpenTable.com, December 2010
#3 Area in Five-Year Jobs Growth (Raleigh-Cary) – Buffalo Business First, February 2010
#63 Best Cities to Find Love (Raleigh) – The Daily Beast, February 2010
#1 Healthiest County in North Carolina (Wake County) – University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, January 2010
50 All-American Icons: Restaurants That Stole Our Hearts and Stood the Test of Time (Angus Barn, Raleigh) – Nation’s Restaurant News, January 2010
#1 Top Business Climate in North Carolina (Raleigh) – Site Selection, January 2010
50 Most Romantic Restaurants (The Melting Pot, Raleigh) – OpenTable Inc., January 2010
#3 Best Place to Launch a New Business (Raleigh) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, January 2010
50 Most Romantic Restaurants (Rey’s, Raleigh) – OpenTable Inc., January 2010
9 from 2009: Most Notable Recession-Resistant High-Growth Areas in the U.S. (Wake Forest) – Gadberry Group, January 2010
#9 Best Drivers’ Cities (Raleigh) – Car and Driver Magazine, January 2010
2011 Platinum Choice Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Smart Meetings magazine, December 2011
#41 Among Top 200 Hotels in the United States (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Condé Nast Traveler, October 2011
The 10 Safest Cities in the U.S. (Cary) – M&C, October 2011
#10 Among the Best Cities for Men 2012 (Raleigh) – Men’s Health, December 2011
#4 Among 10 Most Tech-Friendly Terminals for Tech Travelers (Terminal 2, RDU International Airport) – PCWorld, December 2011
#1 Among 10 Best U.S. Airports for Wi-Fi (RDU International Airport) – PCWorld, December 2011
#12 Among 20 Best U.S. Airports for Tech Travelers (RDU International Airport) – PCWorld, December 2011
#2 Among Top Medical Cities (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – MedCity News, December 2011
Nine Beautiful New Airport Terminals (RDU International Airport Terminal 2) – The Atlantic Cities, December 2011
#4 Among the Best Cities for Technology Jobs (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, November 2011
#23 Among Smartest Major U.S. Cities with More than 100,000 Residents (Raleigh) – American City Business Journals, November 2011
#7 Among Smartest Major U.S. Cities with More than 100,000 Residents (Cary) – American City Business Journals, November 2011
America’s Best City (Raleigh) – Businessweek.com, September 2011
#3 Most Educated City in America (Raleigh) – Men’s Health, September 2011
#5 Among 10 Best Cities for Educated Workers (Raleigh-Cary) – 24/7 Wall St., September 2011
#7 Among America’s 20 Can-Do Capitals (Raleigh) – Newsweek, September 2011
Top 100 Best Cities for Families (Raleigh) – Parenting.com, September 2011
2011 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, August 2011
Top 50 Late Night Dining Restaurants in the Nation (Solas Restaurant Lounge & Roof, Raleigh) – OpenTable, August 2011
Most Efficient Small/Medium Airport in North America (RDU International Airport) – Air Transport Research Society, August 2011
#4 Among Top 100 Places to Live in 2011 (Raleigh) – RelocateAmerica, July 2011
Best Barbecue Joints (The Pit, Raleigh) – AOL Travel News, July 2011
One of the Coolest Small Cities in America (Raleigh) – GQ, July 2011
#10 Among Top Large City Hotels in U.S./Canada (The Umstead Hotel & Spa, Cary) – Travel+Leisure, July 2011
#2 Next Big Boom Town (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, July 2011
#21 Among 2011 Top 25 Arts Destinations – Mid-Size Cities (Raleigh) – AmericanStyle Magazine, July 2011
#1 Among Best Places for Business and Careers (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, June 2011
#22 Best Major League Sports Franchise (Carolina Hurricanes, Raleigh) – ESPN The Magazine, June 2011
#7 Best National Hockey League Franchise (Carolina Hurricanes, Raleigh) – ESPN The Magazine, June 2011
#14 Among 2011 Best Cities for Job Growth (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, June 2011
Best New Public Golf Course for 2010 (Lonnie Poole Golf Course at North Carolina State University, Raleigh) – North Carolina Golf Panel, May 2011
Six Best New Museums in North America (N.C. Museum of Art, Raleigh) – AirTran GO Magazine, May 2011
Bronze Level Bicycle Friendly Community (Raleigh) – League of American Bicyclists, April 2011
#7 Top Metro for Small Business (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, April 2011
#3 Best Labor Market for Young Adults (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, April 2011
#3 America’s Cleanest Cities (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, March 2011
12th Most Socially Networked City (Raleigh) – Men’s Health, March 2011
50 Best Hospitals in America (Rex Hospital, Raleigh) – HealthGrades, March 2011
50 Best Hospitals in America (Rex Hospital, Raleigh) – Becker’s Hospital Review, March 2011
One of Best 10 Restaurants at U.S. Airports (42nd Street Oyster Bar, RDU) – USA Today/Frommer’s, March 2011
#2 Brain Magnet in the Nation (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Forbes, February 2011
U.S. Metro with Third-Highest Percentage of Same-Sex Couples Raising Children (Raleigh-Cary) – Gary Gates, UCLA Law School, January 2011
Two of America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Busy Bee Café and The Raleigh Times Bar, Raleigh) – Draft Magazine, January 2011
2011 AIA Institute Honor Award for Architecture (West Building, North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh) – The American Institute of Architects, January 2011
Easiest urban area in which to get around in the U.S. (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Texas A&M Transportation Institute 2012 Urban Mobility Report, December 2012
#1 Among Best Places to Raise Kids in North Carolina (Holly Springs) – Bloomberg Businessweek, December 2012
America’s Most Popular New Restaurants 2012 (Maru Restaurant, Cary, and Gonza Tacos y Tequila, Raleigh) – Urbanspoon, December 2012
OpenTable Diners’ Choice 2012 Best Overall Winners – Top 100 Restaurant List (Saint Jacques French Cuisine, Raleigh) – OpenTable.com, December 2012
#1 Among Best Places in N.C. for Veterans (Raleigh-Cary) – United Services Automobile Association, November 2012
#5 Most Hindu City in America (Raleigh-Cary) – Huffington Post, November 2012
#10 Most Buddhist City in America (Raleigh-Cary) – Huffington Post, November 2012
#30 Most Christian City in America (Raleigh-Cary) – Huffington Post, November 2012
2012 New or Renovated Meeting Site Award Winner (Downtown Raleigh) – ConventionSouth magazine, November 2012
OpenTable Diners’ Choice 2012 Best American Cuisine Winners – Top 100 Restaurant List (Heron’s at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – OpenTable.com, November 2012
100 Best Meeting Sites in the South in 2012 Readers’ Choice Awards (Raleigh Convention Center, Raleigh) – ConventionSouth magazine, November 2012
#1 Market for Retail Job Growth (Raleigh) – American City Business Journal, September 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Coffee Shop (Benelux Cafe, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Retail Store (The Green Monkey, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Restaurant with Best Brunch (Tir na nOg Irish Pub, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Mexican Restaurant (Jibarra Restaurant, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Soul Food (Beasley’s Chicken & Honey, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Deli (Remedy Diner, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Restaurant, Late-Night Dining and Cheap Eat (The Borough, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
#6 Among 10 American Made Denim Brands That Aren’t Owned by Glenn Beck (Raleigh) – Complex Magazine, October 2012
#18 Among Top 40 Hotels in the South, Readers’ Choice Awards (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Condé Nast Traveler, October 2012
Best Museum Environment, Silver Winner (Nature Research Center at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) – Event Design Awards, October 2012
#10 Among America’s Best Flea Markets (Raleigh Flea Market) – Travel+Leisure, October 2012
#56 Among Best Places to Live, America’s Best Small Cities (Cary) – CNNMoney, August 2012
#11 Among Top Large City Hotels in the Continental U.S. (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Travel+Leisure, August 2012
The Best Ice Pops From Across the Country (Locopops, Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill) – Vogue, August 2012
#1 Best Quality of Life (Raleigh) – Business Facilities Magazine, July/August 2012
Coolest New Airport Terminals (Terminal 2, RDU International Airport) – Travel+Leisure, July 2012
#8 Among Best Airport Security Checkpoints (RDU International Airport) – Travel+Leisure, July 2012
10 Amazing State Capitol Buildings (North Carolina State Capitol, Raleigh) – Conde Nast Traveler, July 2012
#2 Among Best Places for Business and Careers (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, June 2012
#8 Among 10 Cheapest U.S. Cities You’ll Want to Visit (Raleigh-Cary) – Kiplinger, June 2012
10 Best Beer Cities (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – ID Cocktails blog, January 2012
#7 Among Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents (Raleigh-Cary, 41% in 2010) – The New York Times, May 2012
#6 Among Top Cities for Staying Young (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) – RealAge, June 2012
#5 Among Best Cities for Raising a Family (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, April 2012
#2 Among 10 Fastest-Growing U.S. Cities (Raleigh) – CNNMoney, April 2012
10 Best Cities in America for Health and Happiness (Raleigh) – EcoSalon, March 2012
#2 Among Best Cities for Newlyweds (Raleigh) – Rent.com, March 2012
101 Best Restaurants in America for 2012 (The Pit, Raleigh) – The Daily Meal, February 2012
#5 Among Most Frugal U.S. Cities on the 2011 Savings Index – Coupons.com, February 2012
2012 Reader’s Choice Award Winner (Greater Raleigh CVB) – SportsEvents Magazine, January 2012
Mini-Empire of the Year among “Best New Restaurants in America” (Ashley Christensen Restaurants, Raleigh) – GQ, March 2012
Best New Sweet Shops (Videri Chocolate Factory, Raleigh) – Travel+Leisure, February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Brewmasters Bar & Grill) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Busy Bee Café) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Flying Saucer Draught Emporium) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Raleigh Times Bar) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Tyler’s Taproom, Raleigh) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (World of Beer, North Hills) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
#18 Among America’s Most Tolerant Cities (Raleigh) – The Daily Beast, January 2012
#1 Among Healthiest Cities for Women (Raleigh) – Women’s Health, January 2012
Top 10 Tastiest Towns in the South (Raleigh) – Southern Living, January 2012
#7 Among America’s 10 Best Cities for 2013 (Raleigh) – Movoto, December 2013
#5 Among Top Five Mid-Size Metros in the 2013-2014 College Destination Index for Mid-Size Metro Areas (Raleigh) – American Institute for Economic Research, December 2013
#1 Among 10 Best Cities in N.C. (Apex) – Movoto, November 2013
#2 Among 10 Best Cities in N.C. (Wake Forest) – Movoto, November 2013
#4 Among 10 Best Cities in N.C. (Morrisville) – Movoto, November 2013
#5 Among 10 Best Cities in N.C. (Garner) – Movoto, November 2013
#7 Among 10 Best Cities in N.C. (Cary) – Movoto, November 2013
#10 Among 2013 Digital Cities Survey Winners (Raleigh) – e.Republic’s Center for Digital Government, November 2013
2014 Top New or Renovated Meeting Facility (Sheraton Raleigh Hotel) – ConventionSouth, November 2013
#10 Among Fittest Cities for Baby Boomers (Raleigh) – American Physical Therapy Association, October 2013
#1 Among Top Seven Dog Friendly Cities in America (Raleigh) – PetCareRx, October 2013
2013 Readers’ Choice Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – ConventionSouth, October 2013
2013 Readers’ Choice Award (Raleigh Convention Center) – ConventionSouth, October 2013
#4 Among 10 Preppiest Cities in America (Raleigh) – Motovo, September 2013
2013 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, August 2013
#5 Among 10 Best Cities for Cheapskates (Raleigh) – Kiplinger, August 2013
Named as an eCity of America and received a Google eCity Award (Cary) – Google, August 2013
#5 Among America’s 10 Most Hospitable Cities (Raleigh) – Airbnb, July 2013
#15 Among World’s Most Inventive Cities (Raleigh) – Forbes, July 2013
#5 Among Top 15 Aspirational Cities (Raleigh) – The Daily Beast, July 2013
Among Best Hotels by Region in N.C. (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Travel + Leisure, July 2013
Among 10 Wacky U.S. Summer Events (BugFest at North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) – TripAdvisor, July 2013
#3 Among U.S.A.’s Most Patriotic Cities (Raleigh) – USA Today, July 2013
Named as an “All-America City” in the National Civic League All-America City Awards (Garner) – National Civic League, June 2013
#9 Among Airports Where the Architecture Soars (RDU International Airport) – CNN, June 2013
#15 Among Fittest Cities in America (Raleigh) – American College of Sports Medicine, June 2013
Among Top 10 Best Cities for Newlyweds (Raleigh) – Rent.com, June 2013
#9 Among Top 10 Airport Restaurants in the U.S. (42nd Street Oyster Bar, RDU International Airport) – Frommer’s, May 2013
#3 Among Top 12 American Boomtowns (Raleigh) – Bloomberg, April 2013
#7 Among Best Regional Airports in North America (RDU International Airport) – SKYTRAX World Airport Awards, April 2013
2013 Pinnacle Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Successful Meetings, April 2013
The U.S.A.’s Best Regional Desserts (Chess pie at Angus Barn, Raleigh) – Lonely Planet, March 2013
#1 Among Fastest-Growing Cities In The U.S. (Raleigh) – Forbes, March 2013
#6 Among Top 10 U.S. Value Destinations for 2013 (Raleigh) – Hotwire, March 2013
#1 Among Ten Best Cities for Car Drivers (Raleigh) – NerdWallet, March 2013
#4 Among Best Cities in America for Small Business (Raleigh) – The Business Journals, February 2013
#2 Among Next Biggest Boom Towns in the U.S. (Raleigh) – Forbes, February 2013
2013 Five Star Rating Award in hotel category (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Forbes Travel Guide, February 2013
2013 Five Star Rating Award in restaurant category (Heron’s at the Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Forbes Travel Guide, February 2013
2013 Four Star Rating Award in spa category (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Forbes Travel Guide, February 2013
#2 Among 2013 Best Hotels in N.C. (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – U.S. News Travel, January 2013
#16 Among 2013 Best Hotels in N.C. (Renaissance Raleigh Hotel at North Hills) – U.S. News Travel, January 2013
#41 Among 2013 Best Hotels in the U.S.A. (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – U.S. News Travel, January 2013
2013 Five Diamond Award in hotel category (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – AAA, January 2013
2013 Four Diamond Award in hotel category (Renaissance Raleigh Hotel at North Hills) – AAA, January 2013
2013 Five Diamond Award in restaurant category (Heron’s at the Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – AAA, January 2013
#14 Among Best Cities for Men (Raleigh-Cary) – Men’s Health, January 2013
#7 Among Best Run Cities in America (Raleigh-Cary) – 24/7 Wall St., January 2013
#4 Among Fastest Growing Cities for Population and the Economy in the U.S. (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, January 2013
#3 Among Best Performing Large Cities in the U.S. (Raleigh-Cary) – Milken Institute, January 2013
#1 Among Family-Friendly Cities in the U.S. (Raleigh-Cary) – Human Life Project, January 2013
#1 Among Large Metros with the Largest Share of College Grads in the Center City (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) – The Atlantic Cities, January 2013
#11 Among Healthiest Cities for Women (Raleigh) – Women’s Health, January 2013
#5 Among America’s New Tech Hot Spots (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, January 2013
Our Favorite Meals of 2012 (Poole’s Diner, Raleigh) – Garden & Gun Blog, January 2013
Among The 50 Best Things To Eat Right Now: Chocolate to Die For (Videri Chocolate Factory, Raleigh) – GQ, November 2014
Among Best Cocktails in America (“Gone to Carolina” at Second Empire Restaurant & Tavern, Raleigh) – Restaurant Hospitality, November 2014
Named Best Pizzeria in N.C. (Trophy Brewing Company, Raleigh) – Thrillist, November 2014
#3 Among Best U.S. Cities for College Students – Mid-Size Metros (Raleigh-Cary) – American Institute for Economic Research, October 2014
Among America’s 10 Best Cocktail Bars (Fox Liquor Bar, Raleigh) – Fodor’s Travel, September 2014
#8 Among 50 Most Stunning University Gardens and Arboreta (J.C. Raulston Arboretum at North Carolina State University, Raleigh) – Best Masters Programs, September 2014
2014 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, September 2014
#8 Among America’s 50 Best Cities to Live (Cary) – 24/7 Wall St., September 2014
#2 Among 2014’s Most Educated Cities (Raleigh MSA) – WalletHub, September 2014
#1 Among The U.S. Cities Attracting The Most Families (Raleigh MSA) – Forbes, September 2014
#3 Among Best Up-and-Coming Cities for Art and Culture (Raleigh) – Women’s Health, September 2014
#2 Among America’s 15 Best Cities for Young Professionals (Raleigh) – Forbes, August 2014
Among 100 Best Restaurants in the South (Poole’s Diner, Raleigh) – Southern Living, August 2014
Among 100 Best Restaurants in the South (Stanbury, Raleigh) – Southern Living, August 2014
Among America’s Coolest Cities 2014 (Raleigh) – Forbes, August 2014
#4 Among Top 10 Happiest Metropolitan Areas (Raleigh) – University of British Columbia, July 2014
#1 Among The Best Places for Business and Careers 2014 (Raleigh) – Forbes, July 2014
Among The South’s 101 Largest Expo Halls (Raleigh Convention Center) – ConventionSouth, July 2014
Among Sweet 16 Finalists in Pilsner’s Best Bar in America (The Raleigh Times Bar, Raleigh) – Draft Magazine, July 2014
Among South’s Secret Havens for Healthcare Groups (Cary) – ConventionSouth, July 2014
#3 Among 50 Top Swim Cities (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – USA Swimming, July 2014
Among The 20 Best College Traditions in the U.S. (Krispy Kreme Challenge, Raleigh) – Business Insider, July 2014
#3 Among 10 Least Stressed Out Cities (Raleigh) – CNNMoney, June 2014
#6 Among Top 20 Coffee Shops in America (Joule Coffee, Raleigh) – USA TODAY, June 2014
Among the 33 Best Beer Bars in the Country (Brewmasters Bar and Grill, Raleigh) – Thrillist, June 2014
Among Six Races That Are Sure to Make You Hurl (Krispy Kreme Challenge, Raleigh) – Men’s Health, May 2014
#3 Among 13 Music Festivals You Should Actually Attend This Summer (Hopscotch, Raleigh) – The Huffington Post, May 2014
Among 2014 Playful City U.S.A. Communities (Garner) – KaBOOM!, May 2014
Among 2014 Playful City U.S.A. Communities (Raleigh) – KaBOOM!, May 2014
Among 10 New U.S. Breweries to Watch, from D.C. to California (White Street Brewing Company, Wake Forest) – Bon Appétit, May 2014
2014 Pinnacle Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Successful Meetings, May 2014
Among 10 Best City Art Districts Around the U.S.A. (Warehouse District, Raleigh) – USA TODAY, May 2014
Named Best Chef in the Southeast (Ashley Christensen) – James Beard Foundation, May 2014
Among Three N.C. String Towns, places to hear and play traditional tunes (Raleigh) – Our State, May 2014
Among Summer 2014’s 40 Must-See Music Festivals (Hopscotch, Raleigh) – Rolling Stone, April 2014
2014 National Medal for Museum and Library Service (North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) – Institute of Museum and Library Services, April 2014
Silver Medal in American-style Black Ale Category (Black IPA at Lynnwood Brewing Concern, Raleigh) – World Beer Cup, April 2014
Gold Medal in German-style Kölsch/Köln-style Kölsch Category (Kölsch-style Ale at White Street Brewing Company, Wake Forest) – World Beer Cup, April 2014
#7 Among North America’s Top 10 Regional Airports (RDU International Airport) – Skytrax, April 2014
#3 Among 10 Fastest Growing Cities (Raleigh) – CNNMoney, March 2014
Among South’s Best Destination Apps/Mobile Sites (Greater Raleigh CVB) – ConventionSouth, March 2014
Among 15 Themed Races That You’ll Actually Want To Run (Krispy Kreme Challenge, Raleigh) – BuzzFeed, March 2014
Among Dining in 50 States: Top Restaurants Worth Traveling For (Lucky 32, Cary) – FlipKey, March 2014
Among 14 Most Transformational Wellness Destinations Around the World (The Umstead Spa, Cary) – Town & Country, March 2014
#6 Among Top 10 U.S. Value Destinations (Raleigh) – Hotwire, March 2014
Among The South’s Best Cheap Eats Under $10 (Chuck’s, Raleigh) – Southern Living, February 2014
Among The South’s Best Cheap Eats Under $10 (Garland, Raleigh) – Southern Living, February 2014
#5 Among Eight Emerging Tech Hubs You Should Pay Attention To (Raleigh) – TransferWise, February 2014
Among Five Hottest New Coffee Spots in the U.S. (Joule Coffee, Raleigh) – Food & Wine, February 2014
#2 Among America’s 20 Fastest-Growing Cities (Raleigh) – Forbes, February 2014
#13 Among The 15 U.S. Cities that are Driving the Future (Raleigh-Cary) – Business Insider, January 2014
#7 Among 20 Hottest Coffee Shops Across the U.S. Right Now (Joule Coffee, Raleigh) – Eater, January 2014
Among 100 Best Bars in the South (Poole’s Diner, Raleigh) – Southern Living, January 2014
#14 Among 50 Most Beautiful Libraries in the World (James B. Hunt Jr. Library, Raleigh) – Best Value Schools, January 2014
#9 Among U.S. Regions to Watch in 2014 (Raleigh) – Forbes, January 2014
Among America’s 100 Best Beer Bars 2014 (Busy Bee Cafe, Raleigh) – Draft, January 2014
Among America’s 100 Best Beer Bars 2014 (The Raleigh Times Bar, Raleigh) – Draft, January 2014
#3 Among Best Cities to Work - Economic Environment (Raleigh MSA) - WalletHub, May 2015
#10 Among Best Cities to Work - Small Business Environment (Raleigh MSA) - WalletHub, May 2015
Sports Tourism Organization of the Year (Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance) - National Association of Sports Commissions, April 2015
#1 Among Mid-Sized American Cities of the Future (Raleigh) - The Financial Times, April 2015
Among 2015 Award of Excellence Winners (Greater Raleigh CVB) - Corporate & Incentive Travel, April 2015
#2 Among The Cities Creating The Most Tech Jobs (Raleigh) - Forbes, April 2015
Among Five LGBT Travel Picks for 2015 (Raleigh) - Metro Weekly, March 2015
Among 29 Cities All Twentysomethings Should Pick Up and Move To (Raleigh) - BuzzFeed, March 2015
#1 Among 2014 Top N.C. Historic Attractions (North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) - Carolina Publishing Associates, March 2015
#6 Among 2014 Top N.C. Historic Attractions (Marbles Kids Museum, Raleigh) - Carolina Publishing Associates, March 2015
#11 Among 2014 Top N.C. Historic Attractions (North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh) - Carolina Publishing Associates, March 2015
#15 Among 2014 Top N.C. Historic Attractions (North Carolina Museum of History, Raleigh) - Carolina Publishing Associates, March 2015
Second place in the U.S. Brewers Cup Championship (Slingshot Coffee Co., Raleigh) - February 2015
Among 2015 Most Romantic Restaurants in America (Second Empire Restaurant & Tavern, Raleigh) - OpenTable, February 2015
Among Five American Cities You Should Visit in 2015 (Raleigh) - The Huffington Post, February 2015
Among 2015 Best Hotels in the U.S.A. Winners (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) - U.S. News & World Report, January 2015
Among World's 300 Largest Metropolitan Economies in 2014 (Raleigh) - Brookings Institution, January 2015
#3 Among Best Metro Areas for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Professionals (Raleigh MSA) - WalletHub, January 2015
Among America's 100 Best Beer Bars 2015 (Busy Bee Cafe, Raleigh) - Draft, January 2015
Among America's 100 Best Beer Bars 2015 (Raleigh Times Bar, Raleigh) - Draft, January 2015
Among Cities to Watch in 2015 (Raleigh) - Urbanful, January 2015
#2 Among The Fastest-Growing Minority Cities in America for Hispanics (Raleigh) - Brookings Institution, January 2015
#2 Among The Fastest-Growing Minority Cities in America for Asians (Raleigh) - Brookings Institution, January 2015
#6 Among The Fastest-Growing Minority Cities in America for Blacks (Raleigh) - Brookings Institution, January 2015
#3 Among Best Cities to Work - Economic Environment (Raleigh MSA) - WalletHub, May 2015
#10 Among Best Cities to Work - Small Business Environment (Raleigh MSA) - WalletHub, May 2015
Sports Tourism Organization of the Year (Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance) - National Association of Sports Commissions, April 2015
#1 Among Mid-Sized American Cities of the Future (Raleigh) - The Financial Times, April 2015
Among 2015 Award of Excellence Winners (Greater Raleigh CVB) - Corporate & Incentive Travel, April 2015
Among 29 Cities All Twentysomethings Should Pick Up and Move To (Raleigh) - BuzzFeed, March 2015
#1 Among 2014 Top N.C. Historic Attractions (North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) - Carolina Publishing Associates, March 2015
#6 Among 2014 Top N.C. Historic Attractions (Marbles Kids Museum, Raleigh) - Carolina Publishing Associates, March 2015
#11 Among 2014 Top N.C. Historic Attractions (North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh) - Carolina Publishing Associates, March 2015
#15 Among 2014 Top N.C. Historic Attractions (North Carolina Museum of History, Raleigh) - Carolina Publishing Associates, March 2015
Second place in the U.S. Brewers Cup Championship (Slingshot Coffee Co., Raleigh) - February 2015
Among 2015 Most Romantic Restaurants in America (Second Empire Restaurant & Tavern, Raleigh) - OpenTable, February 2015
Among Five American Cities You Should Visit in 2015 (Raleigh) - The Huffington Post, February 2015
Among 2015 Best Hotels in the U.S.A. Winners (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) - U.S. News & World Report, January 2015
Among World's 300 Largest Metropolitan Economies in 2014 (Raleigh) - Brookings Institution, January 2015
#3 Among Best Metro Areas for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Professionals (Raleigh MSA) - WalletHub, January 2015
Among America's 100 Best Beer Bars 2015 (Busy Bee Cafe, Raleigh) - Draft, January 2015
Among America's 100 Best Beer Bars 2015 (Raleigh Times Bar, Raleigh) - Draft, January 2015
#2 Among The Fastest-Growing Minority Cities in America for Hispanics (Raleigh) - Brookings Institution, January 2015
#2 Among The Fastest-Growing Minority Cities in America for Asians (Raleigh) - Brookings Institution, January 2015
#6 Among The Fastest-Growing Minority Cities in America for Blacks (Raleigh) - Brookings Institution, January 2015

Last edited by Raleigh540; 05-10-2015 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-10-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
RALEIGH 2005-2015: 470 TOP ACCOLADES. 324 TOP 10'S. 50 #1'S.

#1 Best City – Education Quotient (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, December 2005
#1 Area for Tech Business (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Silicon Valley Leadership Group, September 2005
#2 Among Places to Attend School and “Rock” (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Rolling Stone, August 2005
#3 Best Large Metro for New Businesses and Entrepreneurs (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – National Policy Research Council, October 2005
#3 Hottest City for Entrepreneurs (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Entrepreneur, October 2005
#5 Best Inner City for Small Businesses (Raleigh, NC) – Small Business Administration, November 2005
#6 Market for Development of Neurotechnology Industry – Neurotech Nexus Report, August 2005
#7 Richest City (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes, November 2005
#10 Safest City (Cary, NC) – Morgan Quitno Press, November 2005
#12 Top Real Estate Market (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Expansion Management, August 2005
Top “Seven Cool Cities” for Young Professionals (Raleigh, NC) – Kiplinger’s Personal Finance, October 2005
Top Ten Fast Cities/ Hubs for Creative Class Talent (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Fast Company, November 2005
Top 20 Best Places to Live, Work & Play (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Homebuilder.com, November 2005
#1 Best City for Women Entrepreneurs (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – AllBusiness.com, November 2006
#1 Area Overall (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Tampa Bay Partnership Regional Economic Scorecard, September 2006
#1 Area for Tech Business (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Silicon Valley Leadership Group, September 2006
#1 Highest Growth County in NC (Wake County, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, March 2006
#1 City for Federally Funded Economic Development Incentives (Raleigh, NC) – Public Policy Forum, March 2006
#2 Best Value Public Colleges (North Carolina State University) – Princeton Review, March 2006
#2 Best Place for Business & Careers (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes, May 2006
#3 Best City for Entrepreneurs (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Entrepreneur.com, August 2006
#3 Top Metro Overall (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management’s Mayor’s Challenge, August 2006
#3 Most Educated City (Raleigh, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau – American Community Survey, 2004 (Released January 2006)
#3 Best U.S. City for Bargains (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Hotwire Travel Value Index, January 2006
4 Greatest Home Price Appreciation Market (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Veros, July 2006
#5 Most Wired City (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, August 2006
#6 Area for Relocating Singles (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Primacy Relocation, October 2006
#6 Best City for Singles (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Forbes.com, July 2006
#7 Brainiest Small Cities (Cary, NC) – Bizjournal.com, June 2006
#7 Best Hospital for Specialty Care (Duke Medical Center) – U.S. News & World Report, July 2006
#8 Safest City (Cary, NC) – Morgan Quitno Press, October 2006
#10 Fastest Growing MSA (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, July 2000 – July 2005 (Released August 2006)
#10 Best Walking City (Raleigh, NC) – Prevention, March 2006
#12 Best Sports City (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – The Sporting News, August 2006#15 Climate Ranking – Business Development Outlook, September/October 2006
#13 Fastest Growing City in the Nation (Raleigh, NC)
#16 Hottest City for Business Relocation & Expansion (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, February 2006
#22 Fastest Growing City in the Nation (Cary, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, June 2006
5-Star Quality of Life Metro (Raleigh, NC) – Expansion Management’s Quality of Life Quotient, May/June 2006
5-Star Business Metro for Business Expansion (Raleigh, NC) – Expansion Management, July/August 2006
Top 10 Projected Home Appreciation Market (Raleigh, NC) – MSN.com, April 2006
#1 Top Business Climate (North Carolina) – Site Selection, November 2007
#1 Best Place for Business and Careers (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes, April 2007
#1 Best U.S. City for Jobs (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Forbes.com, February 2007
#1 School District in the Nation for Certified Teachers (Wake County) – National Board of Certified Teachers, January 2007
#1 Seller’s Market-Residential (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, June 2007
#3 Best City for Relocating Families – Medium Markets (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Worldwide ERC and Primacy Relocation, 2007 Report
3 Economic Development Hot Spot (Wake County, NC) – National Policy Research Council, September 2007
#3 Techiest City in America (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 (Data released September 2007)
#3 5-Star Business Opportunity Metro (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, August 2007
#3 America’s Best Jobs in the Hottest Cities (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Business 2.0, May 2007
#3 Best City for African Americans (Raleigh, NC) – Black Enterprise, May 2007
#3 Metro for College Educated Workers (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, April 2007
#4 Hottest Job Market for Young Adults (Raleigh, NC) – Bizjournals, April 2007
#5 Best Place to Find a Mate (Raleigh, NC) – Men’s Health, March 2007
#7 Top Appreciating Metro Are (Raleigh, NC) – Money, December 2007
#8 Fastest Growing Large City (Cary, NC) Fast Company, July 2007
#8 Fastest Growing Metro in the Nation (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, April 2007
#10 Economic Development Hot Spot (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – National Policy Research Council, September 2007
#10 Large Metro for Business Recruitment & Attraction (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Expansion Management, May/June 2007
#12 Most Affordable Real Estate Market in the Nation (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Forbes.com, August 2007
#12 Best Market for Female Execs and Women Business Owners (Raleigh, NC) – Bizjournals, August 2007
#15 Most Educated Workforce (Raleigh, NC) – Business Facilities, July 2007
#15 Fastest Growing Large City (Raleigh, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 (Data released 2007)
#16 Top Real Estate Market (Raleigh, NC) – Expansion Management, October 2007
#22 Best Place to Live (Holly Springs, NC) – Money, July 2007
#63 Fastest Growing Suburb in America (Apex, NC) – Forbes.com, August 2007
5-Star Public Education Metro (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, December 2007
“Fast City” for Research and Development (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Fast Company, July 2007
Top Research Science Park (North Carolina State University – Centennial Campus) – The Association of University Research Parks, November 2007
Top 5 Cities for Young Singles (Raleigh, NC) – Kiplinger’s Best Cities for Every Stage of Your Life List, June 2007
Top 10 Tech Town (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Wired Magazine, January 2007
Top 10 Places in the South for the Creative Class (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Southern Business and Development, Winter 2007
Top 25 Places for Retirement Jobs (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – MarketWatch, November 2007
Top 50 Hottest Cities for Expanding and Relocating Companies (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Expansion Management, February 2007
Gold Rating (Wake County Schools) – Expansion Management’s Education Quotient, January 2007
#1 Most Political City (Raleigh, NC) – Men’s Health, October 2008
#1 Lowest Metro Crime Ranking in North Carolina (Raleigh-Cary) – CQ Press, November 2008
#1 Best Place to Live in the U.S. (Raleigh, NC) – msnbc.com, June 2008
#1 Pro-Business State (North Carolina) – Pollina.com, June 2008
#1 Best Place for Young Adults (Raleigh, NC) – Bizjournals, May 2008
#1 Best Place for Business and Careers (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, March 2008
#1 Healthiest City for Men (Raleigh, NC) – Men’s Health, January 2008
#2 Best City for Bargain House-Hunters (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, February 2008
#2 Best Performing City (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – The Milken Institute, September 2008
#2 Best City to Live, Work and Play (Raleigh, NC) – Kiplinger’s, July 2008
#2 State with the Best Business Climate (North Carolina) – Development Counsellors International, July 2008
#2 Metro Entering Slow Period With Most Positive Momentum (Raleigh, NC) – bizjournals, November 2008
#3 Most Wired City (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, January 2008
#3 Most Romantic City for Baby Boomers (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, NC) – Sperling’s BestPlaces, March 2008
#4 Best State for Business (North Carolina) – Forbes.com, July 2008
#4 MSA With Highest Concentration of Employment – Drugs and Pharmaceuticals (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Business Facilities, July 2008
#4 Top Gay Ghetto (Raleigh)- GayRealEstate.com, June 2008
#4 Major Market in the South (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Southern Business & Development, Winter 2008
#5 Most Sober City (Raleigh-Cary) – US News and World Report, December 2008
#5 Best Medium-Sized City for Families with Children (Raleigh, NC) – Who’s Your City?, May 2008
#5 Recession-Proof City (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, April 2008
#6 Largest Concentration of Drug and Pharmaceutical Jobs (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Technology, Talent and Capital: State Bioscience Initiatives 2008, June 2008
#6 Medium-Sized Metro (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Site Selection, March 2008
#8 Best City for Recent College Grads (Raleigh-Durham, NC) – Forbes.com, June 2008
#9 Best City for Jobs (Raleigh, NC) – Forbes.com, January 2008
#9 Market in the South for Advanced Manufacturing (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Southern Business & Development, Winter 2008
#10 Quirkiest New Year’s Eve Drop (Raleigh’s acorn) – TripAdvisor, December 2008
#10 U.S. City with the Largest Numerical Increase (Raleigh, NC) – U.S. Census Bureau, July 2008
#10 Least Miserable Airport (Raleigh-Durham Intl.) – U.S. News & World Report, February 2008
#12 Highest Concentration of Tech Workers (Raleigh, NC) – AeA’s Cybercities 2008, June 2008
#15 Lowest City Crime Ranking in United States (Cary) – CQ Press, November 2008
#20 Best Place to Live and Launch (Raleigh, NC) – CNNMoney.com, March 2008
#23 Best Place in the South to Locate Your Company (Raleigh, NC) – Southern Business & Development, Spring 2008
Best Medical Spa in America 2008 (Blue Water Spa of Raleigh) – American Spa Magazine, December 2008
2008 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, October 2008
Best Large City for Business (Raleigh-Cary) – NewGeography.com, December 2008
The Best American City for Singles (Raleigh, NC) – Every Day with Rachael Ray, January 2008
Top Five Strongest Real Estate Market (Raleigh-Cary, NC) – Veros.com, January 2008
Top 9 Amazing New Airports (Terminal 2, RDU International Airport, Morrisville) – MSN Travel, September 2008
Top Ten Great Innovation Market in the South (Raleigh-Cary-Durham, NC) – Southern Business & Development, Winter 2008
Top 15 Place for Cultured Retirement (Raleigh, NC) – Smithsonian.com, April 2008
#1 among America’s Smartest Cities–from First to Worst (Raleigh-Cary MSA plus Durham MSA) – The Daily Beast, October 2009
#1 Attraction in North Carolina Most Visited by school groups (N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) – Carolina Publishing Associates, October 2009
#1 City with Best Economic Potential (Raleigh)- fDi Magazine, April 2009
#1 Best Place for Business and Careers (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, March 2009
#1 Fastest-Growing Metropolitan Area in the Country (Raleigh-Cary) – U.S. Census Bureau, March 2009
#1 City Where Americans Are Relocating (Raleigh)- Forbes.com, April 2009
#1 Top City for Small Business (Raleigh, NC) – Bizjournals and portfolio.com, February 2009
#2 Best Sports Franchise (Carolina Hurricanes, Raleigh) – ESPN the Magazine, July 2009
#2 Most Efficient Airport in North America for 3rd Consecutive Year (RDU International Airport, Morrisville) – Air Transport Research Society, July 2009
#2 Most Cost-Competitive Airport in North America (RDU International Airport, Morrisville) – Air Transport Research Society, July 2009
#2 Splurge Worthy Restaurant in Readers’ Choice Awards (Angus Barn, Raleigh) – Southern Living, January 2009
#2 Best Festival or Fair in Readers’ Choice Awards (North Carolina State Fair, Raleigh) – Southern Living, January 2009
#2 Best State to Do Business In (North Carolina) – Chief Executive Magazine, March 2009
#3 Best Place to Move (Apex) – Forbes.com, July 2009
#3 Best Place to Launch a Small Business (Raleigh-Cary) – Fortune Small Business, October 2009
#3 Most Visited Attraction in North Carolina (N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) – Carolina Publishing Associates, January 2009
3rd highest percentage (40%) of adults with at least a bachelor’s degree among Combined Statistical Areas nationwide (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Triangle Business Journal and U.S. Census Bureau, September 2009
3rd largest concentration of modernist houses in America (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) – Triangle Modernist Archive, Inc., August 2009
#4 among America’s Best Cities for Dating (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) – Sperling’s BestPlaces, January 2009
4th highest percentage (15.35%) of adults with a master’s degree or higher among Combined Statistical Areas nationwide (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Triangle Business Journal and U.S. Census Bureau, September 2009
#5 Fastest-Growing Metropolitan Area in the Country (Raleigh-Cary) – Easy Analytic Software, May 2009
#5 Leading Life Sciences Clusters in the U.S. (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Milken Institute, May 2009
#5 Top City for Designers and Artists (Raleigh-Cary)- ArtBistro.com, May 2009
#6 Best Places to Live and Work for Young Professionals: Mighty Micros (Cary) – Next Generation Consulting, June 2009
#6 Healthiest Housing Market (Raleigh) – Builderonline.com, February 2009
#6 Best Value Public College for 2009 (North Carolina State University, Raleigh) – USA Today, January 2009
#8 Best Place to Move (Cary) – Forbes.com, July 2009
#8 Best Big Cities for Jobs (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, May 2009
#10 Attraction in North Carolina Most Visited by school groups (N.C. Museum of History, Raleigh) – Carolina Publishing Associates, October 2009
#10 Most Visited Attraction in North Carolina (N.C. Museum of History, Raleigh) – Carolina Publishing Associates, January 2009
#10 Best City of 2009 (Raleigh-Cary)- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance, May 2009
#10 among 2009 Best Performing Cities (Raleigh-Cary) – Milken Institute, November 2009
#10 High-Tech Centers in the U.S. (Raleigh) – American City Business Journals, May 2009
#12 Best Places to Live and Work for Young Professionals: Midsized Magnets (Raleigh) – Next Generation Consulting, June 2009
#16 Cities Where Americans Are Getting Richer (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, December 2009
#17 Best Sports City (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) – Sporting News, October 2009
#18 Sports-Obsessed City in the U.S. (Raleigh) – Men’s Health, July 2009
#18 MSA with Highest Rate of House Price Appreciation (Raleigh-Cary) – Federal Housing Finance Agency, February 2009
#19 Lowest City Crime Ranking in United States (Cary) – CQ Press, November 2009
#20 Most Fit MSA (Raleigh-Cary) – The American College of Sports Medicine, May 2009
#22 Most Visited Attraction in North Carolina (N.C. Museum of Art, Raleigh) – Carolina Publishing Associates, January 2009
#24 Top Arts Destination among Mid-Size Cities (Raleigh) – AmericanStyle Magazine, April 2009
#28 Best Place to Raise a Family (Raleigh) – Children’s Health Magazine, September 2009
Sixth-highest percentage (5%) of adults with a doctorate or professional degree among Combined Statistical Areas nationwide (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Triangle Business Journal and U.S. Census Bureau, September 2009
#44 Best Places to Live: America’s Best Small Towns (Apex) – Money Magazine, July 2009
11 Restaurants Worth the Money: Southeast (Poole’s Diner, Raleigh) – Gourmet, October 2009
Road Warriors’ Favorite Cities for Business Trips (Raleigh) – USA Today, August 2009
Top 10 New Barbecue Restaurants (The Pit, Raleigh) – Bon Appétit, July 2009
Green Building of America Award (Wake Technical Community College, Raleigh) – Construction Communications, July 2009
500 World’s Best Hotels 2010 (The Umstead Hotel & Spa, Cary) – Travel + Leisure, December 2009
10 Great Places to Pitch In at a State Park (William B. Umstead State Park, Raleigh) – USA Today, July 2009
2009 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, July 2009
Great Colleges to Work For (Wake Technical Community College, Raleigh) – The Chronicle of Higher Education, July 2009
Strongest Metro Area in North Carolina (Raleigh-Cary) – Brookings Institution, June 2009
50 Best Burgers (Raleigh Times Bar, Raleigh)- Food Network, May 2009
50 Best New U.S. Restaurants (The Pit, Raleigh) – Travel + Leisure, April 2009
Ultimate Hyatt Place Hotel (Hyatt Place Raleigh-Durham Airport, Morrisville) – Hyatt Hotels & Resorts, March 2009
Tree City USA recognition (Cary, Raleigh, Wendell and Zebulon) – Arbor Day Foundation, March 2009
Award of Excellence (Greater Raleigh CVB) – SportsEvents Magazine, February 2009
Mobil Four-Star Award (The Umstead Spa and Herons at the Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Mobil Travel Guide, January 2009
10 Great Cities for Salary Growth (Raleigh-Cary) – Yahoo! Hotjobs, January 2009
Midtown Diamond Award for Best Martini (The Red Room Tapas Lounge, Raleigh) – Midtown Magazine, January 2009
North Carolina’s Axis of Cool (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – New York Times T:Travel Magazine, November 2010
#8 Best City for Job Growth (Raleigh-Cary)- Newgeography.com, November 2010
Top 10 Places in America Poised for Recovery (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Newsweek, November 2010
#8 Safest City in the U.S. (Cary) – CQ Press, November 2010
Top 10 Rated Irish Bars (Hibernian Restaurant and Pub, Raleigh) – Irishbeerfinder.com, November 2010
#1 County in Green Jobs (Wake County) – N.C. Sustainable Energy Association, October 2010
#4 among America’s Smartest Cities (Raleigh-Cary MSA plus Durham MSA) – The Daily Beast, October 2010
#7 Best-Performing City (Raleigh-Cary) – Milken Institute, October 2010
Great American Bites: 51 Great Burger Joints (Char-Grill, Raleigh) – USA Today, October 2010
Top 10 Best Cities for Families (Raleigh) – Parenting.com, September 2010
#4 Among America’s Smartest Cities (Raleigh-Cary) – CNNMoney.com, October 2010
#4 Least-Stressed Metropolitan Area Among the 50 Biggest U.S. Metros (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com, September 2010
#1 Among 10 Great Cities for Raising Families (Raleigh) – Kiplinger’s, August 2010
2010 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, August 2010
#11 Brainiest City in America (Raleigh-Cary) – The Daily Beast, August 2010
Best N.C.-Style Pig (The Pit, Raleigh) – Food Network Magazine, August 2010
#1 for Top Public Schools: Large U.S. Cities (Wake County Public School System) – greatschools, August 2010
25th Lowest Average Domestic Fares for 1st Quarter 2010 (RDU International Airport) – Bureau of Transportation Statistics, August 2010
Most Efficient Small/Medium Airport in North America (RDU International Airport) – Air Transport Research Society, July 2010
Strangest Fair Food (North Carolina State Fair, Raleigh) – Travel+Leisure, July 2010
#3 among Best Places for Business and Careers (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, July 2010
Best Business Bars in America (Wild Turkey Bar & Lounge, Angus Barn, Raleigh) – Entrepreneur, July 2010
#34 Among Top Large City Hotels in U.S./Canada (The Umstead Hotel & Spa, Cary) – Travel+Leisure, July 2010
#10 Among the Best Cities for Families (Raleigh) – Parenting.com, June 2010
#23 Best Places to Live: America’s Best Small Cities (Cary) – CNNMoney.com, July 2010
#3 Cost Competitive North American City (Raleigh) – KPMG LLC, June 2010
20th Fastest Growing Incorporated Place in the U.S. over 100,000 Population (Raleigh) – U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, June 2010
One of the South’s Best Pies (Angus Barn Restaurant, Raleigh) – Southern Living, June 2010
#3 Top Metro for Small Business (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, April 2010
#3 Most Innovative City (Raleigh) – Forbes, May 2010
#1 in Quality of Life among Major Markets (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, May 2010
#15 in Economic Strength Rankings (Raleigh-Cary) – Policom Corporation, May 2010
Top 100 Fun Places in America (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, April 2010
#8 Best Place to Live (Raleigh-Cary) – RelocateAmerica.com, April 2010
#3 Best Place for Business and Careers (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, April 2010
38th Least Expensive Destination for Business Travelers out of 100 U.S. Cities (Raleigh) – Business Travel News, April 2010
45th Fastest Growing U.S. County with 10,000 or More Population in 2009 (Wake County) – U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, March 2010
4th Fastest Growing U.S. Metropolitan Area from 2000 to 2009 (Raleigh-Cary) – U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, March 2010
49th-Largest Metropolitan Statistical Area (Raleigh-Cary) – U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division, March 2010
#3 Best Market for Young Adults (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com, March 2010
#2 Cheapest Midsized Market to Do Business (Raleigh) – KPMG LLC, March 2010
#8 among Top Value Destinations on Travel Value Index (Raleigh) – Hotwire.com, March 2010
#1 among America’s Most Wired Cities (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes.com, March 2010
#3 Metro Area for Overall Well-Being (Raleigh-Cary) – Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, February 2010
Best New Courses of 2009 (Lonnie Poole Golf Course at N.C. State University, Raleigh) – Links Magazine, February 2010
Museums to Visit in 2011 (North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh) – Southern Living, December 2010
500 World’s Best Hotels 2011 (The Umstead Hotel & Spa, Cary) – Travel + Leisure, December 2010
2010 Best Overall Winner – Top 50 Restaurant List (Saint Jacques French Cuisine, Raleigh) – OpenTable.com, December 2010
#3 Area in Five-Year Jobs Growth (Raleigh-Cary) – Buffalo Business First, February 2010
#63 Best Cities to Find Love (Raleigh) – The Daily Beast, February 2010
#1 Healthiest County in North Carolina (Wake County) – University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, January 2010
50 All-American Icons: Restaurants That Stole Our Hearts and Stood the Test of Time (Angus Barn, Raleigh) – Nation’s Restaurant News, January 2010
#1 Top Business Climate in North Carolina (Raleigh) – Site Selection, January 2010
50 Most Romantic Restaurants (The Melting Pot, Raleigh) – OpenTable Inc., January 2010
#3 Best Place to Launch a New Business (Raleigh) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, January 2010
50 Most Romantic Restaurants (Rey’s, Raleigh) – OpenTable Inc., January 2010
9 from 2009: Most Notable Recession-Resistant High-Growth Areas in the U.S. (Wake Forest) – Gadberry Group, January 2010
#9 Best Drivers’ Cities (Raleigh) – Car and Driver Magazine, January 2010
2011 Platinum Choice Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Smart Meetings magazine, December 2011
#41 Among Top 200 Hotels in the United States (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Condé Nast Traveler, October 2011
The 10 Safest Cities in the U.S. (Cary) – M&C, October 2011
#10 Among the Best Cities for Men 2012 (Raleigh) – Men’s Health, December 2011
#4 Among 10 Most Tech-Friendly Terminals for Tech Travelers (Terminal 2, RDU International Airport) – PCWorld, December 2011
#1 Among 10 Best U.S. Airports for Wi-Fi (RDU International Airport) – PCWorld, December 2011
#12 Among 20 Best U.S. Airports for Tech Travelers (RDU International Airport) – PCWorld, December 2011
#2 Among Top Medical Cities (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – MedCity News, December 2011
Nine Beautiful New Airport Terminals (RDU International Airport Terminal 2) – The Atlantic Cities, December 2011
#4 Among the Best Cities for Technology Jobs (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, November 2011
#23 Among Smartest Major U.S. Cities with More than 100,000 Residents (Raleigh) – American City Business Journals, November 2011
#7 Among Smartest Major U.S. Cities with More than 100,000 Residents (Cary) – American City Business Journals, November 2011
America’s Best City (Raleigh) – Businessweek.com, September 2011
#3 Most Educated City in America (Raleigh) – Men’s Health, September 2011
#5 Among 10 Best Cities for Educated Workers (Raleigh-Cary) – 24/7 Wall St., September 2011
#7 Among America’s 20 Can-Do Capitals (Raleigh) – Newsweek, September 2011
Top 100 Best Cities for Families (Raleigh) – Parenting.com, September 2011
2011 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, August 2011
Top 50 Late Night Dining Restaurants in the Nation (Solas Restaurant Lounge & Roof, Raleigh) – OpenTable, August 2011
Most Efficient Small/Medium Airport in North America (RDU International Airport) – Air Transport Research Society, August 2011
#4 Among Top 100 Places to Live in 2011 (Raleigh) – RelocateAmerica, July 2011
Best Barbecue Joints (The Pit, Raleigh) – AOL Travel News, July 2011
One of the Coolest Small Cities in America (Raleigh) – GQ, July 2011
#10 Among Top Large City Hotels in U.S./Canada (The Umstead Hotel & Spa, Cary) – Travel+Leisure, July 2011
#2 Next Big Boom Town (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, July 2011
#21 Among 2011 Top 25 Arts Destinations – Mid-Size Cities (Raleigh) – AmericanStyle Magazine, July 2011
#1 Among Best Places for Business and Careers (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, June 2011
#22 Best Major League Sports Franchise (Carolina Hurricanes, Raleigh) – ESPN The Magazine, June 2011
#7 Best National Hockey League Franchise (Carolina Hurricanes, Raleigh) – ESPN The Magazine, June 2011
#14 Among 2011 Best Cities for Job Growth (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, June 2011
Best New Public Golf Course for 2010 (Lonnie Poole Golf Course at North Carolina State University, Raleigh) – North Carolina Golf Panel, May 2011
Six Best New Museums in North America (N.C. Museum of Art, Raleigh) – AirTran GO Magazine, May 2011
Bronze Level Bicycle Friendly Community (Raleigh) – League of American Bicyclists, April 2011
#7 Top Metro for Small Business (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, April 2011
#3 Best Labor Market for Young Adults (Raleigh-Cary) – Portfolio.com/bizjournals, April 2011
#3 America’s Cleanest Cities (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, March 2011
12th Most Socially Networked City (Raleigh) – Men’s Health, March 2011
50 Best Hospitals in America (Rex Hospital, Raleigh) – HealthGrades, March 2011
50 Best Hospitals in America (Rex Hospital, Raleigh) – Becker’s Hospital Review, March 2011
One of Best 10 Restaurants at U.S. Airports (42nd Street Oyster Bar, RDU) – USA Today/Frommer’s, March 2011
#2 Brain Magnet in the Nation (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Forbes, February 2011
U.S. Metro with Third-Highest Percentage of Same-Sex Couples Raising Children (Raleigh-Cary) – Gary Gates, UCLA Law School, January 2011
Two of America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Busy Bee Café and The Raleigh Times Bar, Raleigh) – Draft Magazine, January 2011
2011 AIA Institute Honor Award for Architecture (West Building, North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh) – The American Institute of Architects, January 2011
Easiest urban area in which to get around in the U.S. (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – Texas A&M Transportation Institute 2012 Urban Mobility Report, December 2012
#1 Among Best Places to Raise Kids in North Carolina (Holly Springs) – Bloomberg Businessweek, December 2012
America’s Most Popular New Restaurants 2012 (Maru Restaurant, Cary, and Gonza Tacos y Tequila, Raleigh) – Urbanspoon, December 2012
OpenTable Diners’ Choice 2012 Best Overall Winners – Top 100 Restaurant List (Saint Jacques French Cuisine, Raleigh) – OpenTable.com, December 2012
#1 Among Best Places in N.C. for Veterans (Raleigh-Cary) – United Services Automobile Association, November 2012
#5 Most Hindu City in America (Raleigh-Cary) – Huffington Post, November 2012
#10 Most Buddhist City in America (Raleigh-Cary) – Huffington Post, November 2012
#30 Most Christian City in America (Raleigh-Cary) – Huffington Post, November 2012
2012 New or Renovated Meeting Site Award Winner (Downtown Raleigh) – ConventionSouth magazine, November 2012
OpenTable Diners’ Choice 2012 Best American Cuisine Winners – Top 100 Restaurant List (Heron’s at The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – OpenTable.com, November 2012
100 Best Meeting Sites in the South in 2012 Readers’ Choice Awards (Raleigh Convention Center, Raleigh) – ConventionSouth magazine, November 2012
#1 Market for Retail Job Growth (Raleigh) – American City Business Journal, September 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Coffee Shop (Benelux Cafe, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Retail Store (The Green Monkey, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Restaurant with Best Brunch (Tir na nOg Irish Pub, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Mexican Restaurant (Jibarra Restaurant, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Soul Food (Beasley’s Chicken & Honey, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Deli (Remedy Diner, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
Best LGBT-Friendly, Locally-Owned Restaurant, Late-Night Dining and Cheap Eat (The Borough, Raleigh) – qnotes, September/October 2012
#6 Among 10 American Made Denim Brands That Aren’t Owned by Glenn Beck (Raleigh) – Complex Magazine, October 2012
#18 Among Top 40 Hotels in the South, Readers’ Choice Awards (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Condé Nast Traveler, October 2012
Best Museum Environment, Silver Winner (Nature Research Center at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) – Event Design Awards, October 2012
#10 Among America’s Best Flea Markets (Raleigh Flea Market) – Travel+Leisure, October 2012
#56 Among Best Places to Live, America’s Best Small Cities (Cary) – CNNMoney, August 2012
#11 Among Top Large City Hotels in the Continental U.S. (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Travel+Leisure, August 2012
The Best Ice Pops From Across the Country (Locopops, Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill) – Vogue, August 2012
#1 Best Quality of Life (Raleigh) – Business Facilities Magazine, July/August 2012
Coolest New Airport Terminals (Terminal 2, RDU International Airport) – Travel+Leisure, July 2012
#8 Among Best Airport Security Checkpoints (RDU International Airport) – Travel+Leisure, July 2012
10 Amazing State Capitol Buildings (North Carolina State Capitol, Raleigh) – Conde Nast Traveler, July 2012
#2 Among Best Places for Business and Careers (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, June 2012
#8 Among 10 Cheapest U.S. Cities You’ll Want to Visit (Raleigh-Cary) – Kiplinger, June 2012
10 Best Beer Cities (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – ID Cocktails blog, January 2012
#7 Among Cities with the Most College-Educated Residents (Raleigh-Cary, 41% in 2010) – The New York Times, May 2012
#6 Among Top Cities for Staying Young (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) – RealAge, June 2012
#5 Among Best Cities for Raising a Family (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, April 2012
#2 Among 10 Fastest-Growing U.S. Cities (Raleigh) – CNNMoney, April 2012
10 Best Cities in America for Health and Happiness (Raleigh) – EcoSalon, March 2012
#2 Among Best Cities for Newlyweds (Raleigh) – Rent.com, March 2012
101 Best Restaurants in America for 2012 (The Pit, Raleigh) – The Daily Meal, February 2012
#5 Among Most Frugal U.S. Cities on the 2011 Savings Index – Coupons.com, February 2012
2012 Reader’s Choice Award Winner (Greater Raleigh CVB) – SportsEvents Magazine, January 2012
Mini-Empire of the Year among “Best New Restaurants in America” (Ashley Christensen Restaurants, Raleigh) – GQ, March 2012
Best New Sweet Shops (Videri Chocolate Factory, Raleigh) – Travel+Leisure, February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Brewmasters Bar & Grill) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Busy Bee Café) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Flying Saucer Draught Emporium) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Raleigh Times Bar) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (Tyler’s Taproom, Raleigh) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
America’s 100 Best Beer Bars (World of Beer, North Hills) – Draft Magazine, January/February 2012
#18 Among America’s Most Tolerant Cities (Raleigh) – The Daily Beast, January 2012
#1 Among Healthiest Cities for Women (Raleigh) – Women’s Health, January 2012
Top 10 Tastiest Towns in the South (Raleigh) – Southern Living, January 2012
#7 Among America’s 10 Best Cities for 2013 (Raleigh) – Movoto, December 2013
#5 Among Top Five Mid-Size Metros in the 2013-2014 College Destination Index for Mid-Size Metro Areas (Raleigh) – American Institute for Economic Research, December 2013
#1 Among 10 Best Cities in N.C. (Apex) – Movoto, November 2013
#2 Among 10 Best Cities in N.C. (Wake Forest) – Movoto, November 2013
#4 Among 10 Best Cities in N.C. (Morrisville) – Movoto, November 2013
#5 Among 10 Best Cities in N.C. (Garner) – Movoto, November 2013
#7 Among 10 Best Cities in N.C. (Cary) – Movoto, November 2013
#10 Among 2013 Digital Cities Survey Winners (Raleigh) – e.Republic’s Center for Digital Government, November 2013
2014 Top New or Renovated Meeting Facility (Sheraton Raleigh Hotel) – ConventionSouth, November 2013
#10 Among Fittest Cities for Baby Boomers (Raleigh) – American Physical Therapy Association, October 2013
#1 Among Top Seven Dog Friendly Cities in America (Raleigh) – PetCareRx, October 2013
2013 Readers’ Choice Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – ConventionSouth, October 2013
2013 Readers’ Choice Award (Raleigh Convention Center) – ConventionSouth, October 2013
#4 Among 10 Preppiest Cities in America (Raleigh) – Motovo, September 2013
2013 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, August 2013
#5 Among 10 Best Cities for Cheapskates (Raleigh) – Kiplinger, August 2013
Named as an eCity of America and received a Google eCity Award (Cary) – Google, August 2013
#5 Among America’s 10 Most Hospitable Cities (Raleigh) – Airbnb, July 2013
#15 Among World’s Most Inventive Cities (Raleigh) – Forbes, July 2013
#5 Among Top 15 Aspirational Cities (Raleigh) – The Daily Beast, July 2013
Among Best Hotels by Region in N.C. (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Travel + Leisure, July 2013
Among 10 Wacky U.S. Summer Events (BugFest at North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) – TripAdvisor, July 2013
#3 Among U.S.A.’s Most Patriotic Cities (Raleigh) – USA Today, July 2013
Named as an “All-America City” in the National Civic League All-America City Awards (Garner) – National Civic League, June 2013
#9 Among Airports Where the Architecture Soars (RDU International Airport) – CNN, June 2013
#15 Among Fittest Cities in America (Raleigh) – American College of Sports Medicine, June 2013
Among Top 10 Best Cities for Newlyweds (Raleigh) – Rent.com, June 2013
#9 Among Top 10 Airport Restaurants in the U.S. (42nd Street Oyster Bar, RDU International Airport) – Frommer’s, May 2013
#3 Among Top 12 American Boomtowns (Raleigh) – Bloomberg, April 2013
#7 Among Best Regional Airports in North America (RDU International Airport) – SKYTRAX World Airport Awards, April 2013
2013 Pinnacle Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Successful Meetings, April 2013
The U.S.A.’s Best Regional Desserts (Chess pie at Angus Barn, Raleigh) – Lonely Planet, March 2013
#1 Among Fastest-Growing Cities In The U.S. (Raleigh) – Forbes, March 2013
#6 Among Top 10 U.S. Value Destinations for 2013 (Raleigh) – Hotwire, March 2013
#1 Among Ten Best Cities for Car Drivers (Raleigh) – NerdWallet, March 2013
#4 Among Best Cities in America for Small Business (Raleigh) – The Business Journals, February 2013
#2 Among Next Biggest Boom Towns in the U.S. (Raleigh) – Forbes, February 2013
2013 Five Star Rating Award in hotel category (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Forbes Travel Guide, February 2013
2013 Five Star Rating Award in restaurant category (Heron’s at the Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Forbes Travel Guide, February 2013
2013 Four Star Rating Award in spa category (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – Forbes Travel Guide, February 2013
#2 Among 2013 Best Hotels in N.C. (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – U.S. News Travel, January 2013
#16 Among 2013 Best Hotels in N.C. (Renaissance Raleigh Hotel at North Hills) – U.S. News Travel, January 2013
#41 Among 2013 Best Hotels in the U.S.A. (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – U.S. News Travel, January 2013
2013 Five Diamond Award in hotel category (The Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – AAA, January 2013
2013 Four Diamond Award in hotel category (Renaissance Raleigh Hotel at North Hills) – AAA, January 2013
2013 Five Diamond Award in restaurant category (Heron’s at the Umstead Hotel and Spa, Cary) – AAA, January 2013
#14 Among Best Cities for Men (Raleigh-Cary) – Men’s Health, January 2013
#7 Among Best Run Cities in America (Raleigh-Cary) – 24/7 Wall St., January 2013
#4 Among Fastest Growing Cities for Population and the Economy in the U.S. (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, January 2013
#3 Among Best Performing Large Cities in the U.S. (Raleigh-Cary) – Milken Institute, January 2013
#1 Among Family-Friendly Cities in the U.S. (Raleigh-Cary) – Human Life Project, January 2013
#1 Among Large Metros with the Largest Share of College Grads in the Center City (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) – The Atlantic Cities, January 2013
#11 Among Healthiest Cities for Women (Raleigh) – Women’s Health, January 2013
#5 Among America’s New Tech Hot Spots (Raleigh-Cary) – Forbes, January 2013
Our Favorite Meals of 2012 (Poole’s Diner, Raleigh) – Garden & Gun Blog, January 2013
Among The 50 Best Things To Eat Right Now: Chocolate to Die For (Videri Chocolate Factory, Raleigh) – GQ, November 2014
Among Best Cocktails in America (“Gone to Carolina” at Second Empire Restaurant & Tavern, Raleigh) – Restaurant Hospitality, November 2014
Named Best Pizzeria in N.C. (Trophy Brewing Company, Raleigh) – Thrillist, November 2014
#3 Among Best U.S. Cities for College Students – Mid-Size Metros (Raleigh-Cary) – American Institute for Economic Research, October 2014
Among America’s 10 Best Cocktail Bars (Fox Liquor Bar, Raleigh) – Fodor’s Travel, September 2014
#8 Among 50 Most Stunning University Gardens and Arboreta (J.C. Raulston Arboretum at North Carolina State University, Raleigh) – Best Masters Programs, September 2014
2014 Gold Service Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Meetings & Conventions, September 2014
#8 Among America’s 50 Best Cities to Live (Cary) – 24/7 Wall St., September 2014
#2 Among 2014’s Most Educated Cities (Raleigh MSA) – WalletHub, September 2014
#1 Among The U.S. Cities Attracting The Most Families (Raleigh MSA) – Forbes, September 2014
#3 Among Best Up-and-Coming Cities for Art and Culture (Raleigh) – Women’s Health, September 2014
#2 Among America’s 15 Best Cities for Young Professionals (Raleigh) – Forbes, August 2014
Among 100 Best Restaurants in the South (Poole’s Diner, Raleigh) – Southern Living, August 2014
Among 100 Best Restaurants in the South (Stanbury, Raleigh) – Southern Living, August 2014
Among America’s Coolest Cities 2014 (Raleigh) – Forbes, August 2014
#4 Among Top 10 Happiest Metropolitan Areas (Raleigh) – University of British Columbia, July 2014
#1 Among The Best Places for Business and Careers 2014 (Raleigh) – Forbes, July 2014
Among The South’s 101 Largest Expo Halls (Raleigh Convention Center) – ConventionSouth, July 2014
Among Sweet 16 Finalists in Pilsner’s Best Bar in America (The Raleigh Times Bar, Raleigh) – Draft Magazine, July 2014
Among South’s Secret Havens for Healthcare Groups (Cary) – ConventionSouth, July 2014
#3 Among 50 Top Swim Cities (Raleigh-Durham-Cary) – USA Swimming, July 2014
Among The 20 Best College Traditions in the U.S. (Krispy Kreme Challenge, Raleigh) – Business Insider, July 2014
#3 Among 10 Least Stressed Out Cities (Raleigh) – CNNMoney, June 2014
#6 Among Top 20 Coffee Shops in America (Joule Coffee, Raleigh) – USA TODAY, June 2014
Among the 33 Best Beer Bars in the Country (Brewmasters Bar and Grill, Raleigh) – Thrillist, June 2014
Among Six Races That Are Sure to Make You Hurl (Krispy Kreme Challenge, Raleigh) – Men’s Health, May 2014
#3 Among 13 Music Festivals You Should Actually Attend This Summer (Hopscotch, Raleigh) – The Huffington Post, May 2014
Among 2014 Playful City U.S.A. Communities (Garner) – KaBOOM!, May 2014
Among 2014 Playful City U.S.A. Communities (Raleigh) – KaBOOM!, May 2014
Among 10 New U.S. Breweries to Watch, from D.C. to California (White Street Brewing Company, Wake Forest) – Bon Appétit, May 2014
2014 Pinnacle Award (Greater Raleigh CVB) – Successful Meetings, May 2014
Among 10 Best City Art Districts Around the U.S.A. (Warehouse District, Raleigh) – USA TODAY, May 2014
Named Best Chef in the Southeast (Ashley Christensen) – James Beard Foundation, May 2014
Among Three N.C. String Towns, places to hear and play traditional tunes (Raleigh) – Our State, May 2014
Among Summer 2014’s 40 Must-See Music Festivals (Hopscotch, Raleigh) – Rolling Stone, April 2014
2014 National Medal for Museum and Library Service (North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh) – Institute of Museum and Library Services, April 2014
Silver Medal in American-style Black Ale Category (Black IPA at Lynnwood Brewing Concern, Raleigh) – World Beer Cup, April 2014
Gold Medal in German-style Kölsch/Köln-style Kölsch Category (Kölsch-style Ale at White Street Brewing Company, Wake Forest) – World Beer Cup, April 2014
#7 Among North America’s Top 10 Regional Airports (RDU International Airport) – Skytrax, April 2014
#3 Among 10 Fastest Growing Cities (Raleigh) – CNNMoney, March 2014
Among South’s Best Destination Apps/Mobile Sites (Greater Raleigh CVB) – ConventionSouth, March 2014
Among 15 Themed Races That You’ll Actually Want To Run (Krispy Kreme Challenge, Raleigh) – BuzzFeed, March 2014
Among Dining in 50 States: Top Restaurants Worth Traveling For (Lucky 32, Cary) – FlipKey, March 2014
Among 14 Most Transformational Wellness Destinations Around the World (The Umstead Spa, Cary) – Town & Country, March 2014
#6 Among Top 10 U.S. Value Destinations (Raleigh) – Hotwire, March 2014
Among The South’s Best Cheap Eats Under $10 (Chuck’s, Raleigh) – Southern Living, February 2014
Among The South’s Best Cheap Eats Under $10 (Garland, Raleigh) – Southern Living, February 2014
#5 Among Eight Emerging Tech Hubs You Should Pay Attention To (Raleigh) – TransferWise, February 2014
Among Five Hottest New Coffee Spots in the U.S. (Joule Coffee, Raleigh) – Food & Wine, February 2014
#2 Among America’s 20 Fastest-Growing Cities (Raleigh) – Forbes, February 2014
#13 Among The 15 U.S. Cities that are Driving the Future (Raleigh-Cary) – Business Insider, January 2014
#7 Among 20 Hottest Coffee Shops Across the U.S. Right Now (Joule Coffee, Raleigh) – Eater, January 2014
Among 100 Best Bars in the South (Poole’s Diner, Raleigh) – Southern Living, January 2014
#14 Among 50 Most Beautiful Libraries in the World (James B. Hunt Jr. Library, Raleigh) – Best Value Schools, January 2014
#9 Among U.S. Regions to Watch in 2014 (Raleigh) – Forbes, January 2014
Among America’s 100 Best Beer Bars 2014 (Busy Bee Cafe, Raleigh) – Draft, January 2014
Among America’s 100 Best Beer Bars 2014 (The Raleigh Times Bar, Raleigh) – Draft, January 2014
Source US Census Bureau for 2013 the latest facts on census.
If Raleigh is growing so fast, why is Charlotte growing at 7.8% and adding 20,005 people a year
and Raleigh is growing at 6.7% and adding 9,258 people a year.
This page long of total crap could have been put in the trash can.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:15 PM

From US Census from July 2012 to July 2013

NOTE THIS MSA
The US Government uses MSA for their records on how they fund a Cities Metro Area.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina