U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,909 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Michigan. My Wife and I have been considering relocating to North Carolina for some time now. Last spring we went and checked out the Raleigh area and felt it was somewhat disconnected and busy. This spring we went and checked out Asheville, and really like it. We then drove to Wilmington, and really liked it. I liked Asheville and what the area had to offer a little more than I did Wilmington. My wife like Wilmington a little more. We are Michiganders who met while living Charleston, SC so we're familiar with coastal Carolina living. Thanks for the posts on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 07:19 PM

3,093 posts, read 6,409,645 times
Personally I prefer mtns to the coast but if it has to be flat, I would rather have the coast than just FLAT like it was where I was in MI.

I grew up in the Piedmont and spent my summers in the mtns of NC. That's home to me. Liz

Old 05-06-2007, 07:24 PM

435 posts, read 1,295,736 times
If I had to pick a specific place I personally would go with the mountains. I lived there for 4yrs while in college & loved it. But the coast, any coast really, holds no appeal to me. Ok, its a beach...thats it.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:42 PM

22,021 posts, read 39,714,926 times
I would probably just stay in middle in piedmont like I am so I can enjoy both options. Plus I can enjoy raliegh and charlotte in a short drive. Mountains are ok for visiting but I cant deal with the cool nights. Ahseville is kinda out there by itself so I probably would choose Blowing rock if I was to decide on mountain town Coast is great but Wilmington is out there by itself and I feel trapped. If I could have decent job and afford the housing of the obx I would go there but I would hate looking at the ocean in winter knowing I cannot go in the cold water.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:31 PM

296 posts, read 1,630,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ahseville is kinda out there by itself so I probably would choose Blowing rock if I was to decide on mountain town
And Blowing Rock isn't? At least Asheville is served by two Interstates.

A smaller town without the hustle of Raleigh or Charlotte in the Piedmont may serve you better if you're both torn between Asheville and Wilmington. In my opinion, mountains all the way. I can never stand the drive to the coast until I can actually see the ocean. Unless I had a house on the water, I'd never consider living in the low country.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:54 AM

1,643 posts, read 3,541,159 times
I was born in the mountains (OK-I cheated it was on the Tennessee side) but choose to live along the NC Coast.
One thing I have noticed at this board. When folks talk about the coast, they seem to always talk about Wilmington. I realize that Wilmington is better known and is probably the largest coastal town we have. But the NC coast is very diverse and Wilmington is just one of many options.
I also hear alot about hurricanes and a lot of misconceptions about hurricanes along our coast. The main misconception is that these storms are not just a coastal thing. For example Charlotte and hurricane Hugo in 1989, Raleigh and Hurricane Fran in 1996 and the mountains with the storms in 2004.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:18 AM

938 posts, read 2,283,361 times
You need to visit the coast in the middle of tourist season when it's too crowded to move and too hot to breathe. Try to be there for a hurricane evacuation. One will be enough. Everyone talks about Asheville like it is the only town in the mountains except for one mention of Blowing Rock.
I think Hickory had the perfect location except it is just a little to far from Charlotte if you need big city type employment. If you don't then look at Hickory or the foothills area which offers the best weather east of California IMHO.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:52 AM

648 posts, read 2,051,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
I also hear a lot about hurricanes and a lot of misconceptions about hurricanes along our coast. The main misconception is that these storms are not just a coastal thing. For example Charlotte and hurricane Hugo in 1989, Raleigh and Hurricane Fran in 1996 and the mountains with the storms in 2004.
GREAT point, Bill. We got hit HARD up here in the mountains by two big storms in 2004.

I really need to get to the Emerald coast/Morehead city...

Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 AM

5,660 posts, read 18,227,258 times
Fifty Year History of Hurricanes in North Carolina
(Category 1-4)
(1955-2005)

National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)

Last edited by mm34b; 05-07-2007 at 08:40 AM..

Old 05-08-2007, 06:11 AM

1,643 posts, read 3,541,159 times
Interesting map-And deceptive. Eliminate the water and you've eliminated what would appear to be around 75% of the lines.
I am also assuming that the red line is hurricane force, yellow is tropical storm force and green is just a tropical depression.
What is most deceiving is that the map does not show the areas that are affected by a storm event. I have lived on the NC coast for 25 years. What I have noticed is that the worst affects of a storm come after the storm has passed in the form of inland flooding. All of the creeks and rivers swell days and weeks afterwards and flood areas 100 plus miles away from the coast.
New Bern, Kinston, Goldsboro, Greenville all can be seriously flooded days after a hurricane while we here on the coast are high and dry.

Last edited by Bill Hitchcock; 05-08-2007 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina