Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:09 PM

13 posts, read 73,995 times

Advertisements

Which do you think is better and why? Just looking for some opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 08:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersarad View Post
Which do you think is better and why? Just looking for some opinions!
Given my user name my opinion will surprise no one

The mountains are better because in some places there are still affordable spots to live in with great views and nice little communities. Living at the beach holds no appeal for me unless I can live ON the beach. And who can afford THAT anymore? The coastal areas from the one end of the eastern seaboard to the other are crowded, over priced and cost too much to insure because of hurricane damage dating back to Hurricane Andrew. Evacuating several times a year is also no fun. The mountains are still an attainable goal for some of us middle class Americans, and who wouldn't want a white Christmas if they could get it?

Old 10-03-2006, 08:40 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I don't live there yet, but I LOVE the mountains, the beauty is breath taking. I live near Galveston and it does nothing for me.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
I don't consider either region of NC superior over the other, but I can tell you the main reasons I chose the mountains over the coast.

1. Climate. The mountains have cooler summers. I personally don't like temps above 85 degrees. Expect around a 20 degree difference from the coast to the mountains. The mountains have a reduced chance of severe weather from tropical storms, hurricanes and tornados. The four seasons are closer to equal length than on the coast.

2. Topography. I'm not a fan of flat land. I like the changes in elevation, deep valleys and mile-high mountaintops side by side and the wide variety and abundance of hardwood tree species.

3. Culture. Believe it or not, the Mountain Region really does have its own unique folkways and history not found in the Coastal Plain region.

Neither region is right for everyone. It just depends on what feels like "home" to you. I am not a native North Carolinian, but have lived for years in all three regions.

Last edited by mm34b; 10-03-2006 at 11:02 PM..

Old 10-03-2006, 10:54 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,536 times
Have to cast another vote for the mountains. Maybe it's because I grew up in a place that's flat and cold (Illinois) and now live in a place that's flat and hot (South Florida, though, even as urbanized as it is, there is still natural beauty to be found here). I also must confess that I love the cool nights and even miss the occasional snowfall, and you're much more likely to experience those in the western North Carolina mountains.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:54 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
I grew up on the NC coast (Boiling Spring Lakes/Southport/Oak Island), but have an equal love for the mountains and the coast. We go to the beach every June and the mountains every October. There is beauty to enjoy in both locations.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:18 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
It absolutely depends on what YOU are looking for. I love both, but in different ways. PERSONALLY, I would rather live in the mountains if I had to choose between the two. I like the weather better, no hurricanes, and the cost of living is a bit cheaper. But both places have really nice areas. Isn't it great NC has so many choices?

Old 10-05-2006, 07:38 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
I moved to Wilmington in 1997, lived there til 2002 and then moved to Asheville, where I've been since. Make a lot more money here for basically the same job, love the four seasons as opposed to the humidity of Wilmington and the traffic nightmares of Wilmington are not a fact of life here in Asheville. Strongly prefer the mountain area.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:10 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Asheville is an awesome place, one of the best small metros in the U.S.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:56 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
I lived in Western NC for 5 years and in Eastern NC for 7.
I could possibly see myself living in Asheville area again. I could never see myself back in Eastern NC.
I felt more anti-Yankee sentiment down East. Also, I just despised the heat and humidity. Hurricane season also got really old after a while (7 in 7 years).
And, I like the BBQ in Western NC. Can't stand the strong vinegar stuff down East.
Mountains hands down as a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina