Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yeah, because we all know that 'true liberals' aren't from NC....
Excellent comeback UC! I'm not a "true liberal," but I am concerned with the direction the Republicans are taking this state though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
Quote:
Yeah, because we all know that 'true liberals' aren't from NC.... In other news, it looks like the GOP is about to get some payback against the NC Utilities commission for their part in the Duke/Progress merger. McCrory (an ex-Duke energy employee) will certainly support this new bill. Read more about it here.
This has me absolutely sick to my stomach.

Between this and fracking, it seems the GOP is hell-bent on destroying this state for the sake of money.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
As I mentioned a few months ago, whomever wins the title has the incredible job of mending a disaster created by the former queen. How do you fix repaying the federal gov $2 Billion just alone in unemployment benefits we borrowed? The state economy is broken from the irresponsible fiscal management of the past and somebody needs to grow some big ones and reverse course before we have a total fiscal colapse. I believe he's the right guy and will get the needed support from conservatives to balance our income & expenses. It's time to run our state like a successful business.
Go Pat!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Yeah, because we all know that 'true liberals' aren't from NC.... In other news, it looks like the GOP is about to get some payback against the NC Utilities commission for their part in the Duke/Progress merger. McCrory (an ex-Duke energy employee) will certainly support this new bill. Read more about it here.
The real payback will come a few years from now when the republicans are screaming about democractic cronyism, conveniently forgetting they were the ones who put this policy in place.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
As I mentioned a few months ago, whomever wins the title has the incredible job of mending a disaster created by the former queen.
The legislature's had two years of essentially a veto-proof majority when it counted to fix Dumplin's problems. Still waiting on them to get to it...

Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM

75 posts, read 167,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdragon View Post
Really? The man has literally been in office less than a month and some of you think he's been a slacker? He's not stopped the bleeding from our state's economic wounds, nor has he stopped the loss of jobs and he certainly hasn't fixed the problems with our education system. So, all is lost already?

Methinks some of you, along with our horrendously biased "progressive" media, would like nothing more than for him to fall on his sword early on so you can fulfill some self-gratifying loathing you feel towards ANYone who doesn't imbibe from the DemocRAT altar. Tax the rich until they choke... make sure entitlements are never-ending AND unaccountable, oh...and as for the education system? Lets throw more money at the problem(s) since THAT solution has worked soooo well in the past!

200 years of Democrat rule...and you think that a Republican majority in the GA and the Guvnuh's mansion of less than a month is gonna give you some results. I think the man deserves a chance... since we've ALL seen what the last couple of Democrat executives have given us, why not give him the same chance you would IF Dalton had been elected in his place?

The way our society is these days...McCrory could perform the miracle of parting the waters at Yate's Mill Pond.... and all SOME of you would do...is scream bloody murder about the supposed fish-kill of those left in the muddy middle! *off his soapbox*
Are you kidding me? I've never seen this level of immaturity on this forum before. DemocRAT? Really? . I said I was disappointed over what he's done and said said SO FAR. Please take your crap somewhere else.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-06-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 PM

203 posts, read 412,960 times
Arrow ... a "Government" is NOT a "Business"

Quote:
As I mentioned a few months ago, whomever wins the title has the incredible job of mending a disaster created by the former queen.
Whose disaster? The GA's disaster??? Perdue couldn't "mend" the disaster created by the GOP-majority GA because the Tea-Party-controlled GA continued to maintain too much control for Perdue to override anything, regardless of how ridiculous.

Quote:
How do you fix repaying the federal gov $2 Billion just alone in unemployment benefits we borrowed? The state economy is broken from the irresponsible fiscal management of the past and somebody needs to grow some big ones and reverse course before we have a total fiscal colapse.
Yes, and McCrory's latest set of "big ones" seems to include proposed new INCREASES in FLAT TAXES (i.e., sales taxes, etc.) combined with REDUCTIONS in GRADUATED TAXES (i.e., income taxes). These GOP proposals are sounding more and more like another "trickle down" scam.

It's like Robin Hood in reverse: If you steal enough from the poor and middle class, then there will be more for the rich, who will graciously allow some of what they don't need to "trickle down" to the struggling underclasses. Except, as we've seen again and again, usually nothing at all trickles down.

But if everyone believes strongly enough, these magical mystical proposals may all come to pass ... possibly someday in the dim future of "Maybe Maybe Land."

Yeah, right! Sounds like Governor McCrory's been trying on Romney's Magic Underwear again.

Because the harsh reality of life is that NO politicians can "fix" much of anything in the real world if their minds are tightly controlled by the Tea Party and the Koch Brothers.

Quote:
I believe he's the right guy and will get the needed support from conservatives to balance our income & expenses. It's time to run our state like a successful business. Go Pat!!!
"Business"????? Is this supposed to be your weird idea of a JOKE, Mike?

Governments are not -- and never were -- intended to be "for profit" businesses; governments are intended to serve the "common good", i.e., to protect and serve the basic needs of "the citizenry."

"Businesses" are created to serve the interests of their INVESTORS, by setting out to provide whatever products or services they can provide to willing CUSTOMERS at a price those customers are willing to pay. Only this and nothing more.

Unlike "Businesses" ... the purpose of "Governments" is to serve the interests of the CITIZENS of the Nation, State, or Geopolitical Subdivision serviced by a particular "government" -- i.e., to provide roads, schools, fire protection, police protection, and such "essential services" as are deemed necessary to provide for the "common good" of all of that particular government's "citizens," regardless of any individual citizen's ability to pay for such services.

As such, it is also part of each government's "job" to provide safety nets for its citizens, so that they don't starve to death or die from illness if those citizens should encounter some sort of circumstances beyond their control, i.e., experiencing a job layoff or being struck by a catastrophic illness.

The concept of "for profit" government (developed and expanded during the Reagan Administration) led to the "privatization" of numerous public services which had formerly been provided by governments. Most such "privatizations" never worked very well over the years, which has been a continual source of confusion for many Americans since the 1980's. Suddenly, a Nation's CITIZENS had become, in some respects, CAPTIVE CUSTOMERS ... required to buy certain "services" from their local "GOVBIZ" ... which is maybe just half a step short of SLAVERY.

Governments are instituted to serve the PEOPLE, Mike.

People are NOT born to serve the Government!!!

And your concept of "government" as "business" becomes exceedingly dangerous when the CONSUMERS of such a government's "services" (i.e., that Government's CITIZENS) have NO CHOICE as to whether they MUST buy -- or may refrain from buying -- the "services" of any particular "government."

Does anybody really think McCrory can "fix" NC's economy by turning "government" into a "business?

If you ever really begin to believe that pipe dream, Mike, it's a clear sign that you've been smoking far too much of the wrong kind of tea at those Tea Parties, and you'd better get some help.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
Governments are instituted to serve the PEOPLE, Mike.

Spending more money than we EARN is serving us well?

BTW I don't need or want any advice from you.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:45 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
He is still sizing up just how much money he can pilfer . He needs more time.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,303 times
It looks like from the vast majority of responses that people are not satisfied with his performance. I had quite low expectations but I'm actually surprised at the number of big mistakes he's made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina