U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:22 PM

4,915 posts, read 7,432,399 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is a law on the books or ordinance regarding at what age a child can be left home alone in NC?(providing the child is mature enough)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 04:25 PM

7,440 posts, read 14,550,293 times
There is actually no law regarding this in NC. I just read about it recently because there was a story about it in the newspaper as a result of the 12 year girl who stayed home sick from school and was shot and killed :-(.

How Old Is Old Enough to Be Home Alone? :: WRAL.com

Old 10-22-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
There is actually no law regarding this in NC. I just read about it recently because there was a story about it in the newspaper as a result of the 12 year girl who stayed home sick from school and was shot and killed :-(.

How Old Is Old Enough to Be Home Alone? :: WRAL.com
Thanks for the info., lamishra!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 AM
NCN

14,085 posts, read 12,286,194 times
We used to have teens want to stay in the nursery at church. I was told that a child cannot be left alone under 12 years old. I have not checked the law, but someone gave us the information that no child under 12 could be responsible for himself and could not babysit. We were also told that anyone who left a child alone and something happened to that child who was under 12, the parents could be charged with child abuse. I don't know where the information came from, but that was our rule about babysitting. We always had an adult present to help with the children, but the teens have so much energy and were great with the preschoolers.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 AM

10,378 posts, read 17,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
We used to have teens want to stay in the nursery at church. I was told that a child cannot be left alone under 12 years old. I have not checked the law, but someone gave us the information that no child under 12 could be responsible for himself and could not babysit. We were also told that anyone who left a child alone and something happened to that child who was under 12, the parents could be charged with child abuse. I don't know where the information came from, but that was our rule about babysitting. We always had an adult present to help with the children, but the teens have so much energy and were great with the preschoolers.
I've always heard the same exact thing. My last child is now 14 years old. I never left her alone until she was 12 years old and thats just because she is very immature. Now that she is 14, I feel that she is perfectly capable of walking in from school, turning off the alarm and re setting it until I get home. I typically get home about 30 min. after her. I realize that some kids are more mature than others; however, I'd base my decision on the legal aspect AND the kid's maturity.

Vicki

Old 10-23-2007, 10:56 AM

997 posts, read 3,175,138 times
I knew some families in NC who left 9 yr olds home....I asked one mom and she said it was 8 yrs when they could be left alone, I never looked it up since I had no plans to leave my 8 yr old home alone, but thought it was too young to be left alone. The problem arose since these families had older children who came home later than the elementary kids (different here from in CT where we were from and elem kids came home last to older brothers/sisters who could look after them for an hour or two til parents came home).

Old 10-24-2007, 09:02 AM

Several of my daughter's 10 and 11-year-old friends stay home alone all day during track-out. I also feel that's too young. I was just curious because the Red Cross offers babysitting classes for 11-year olds and up. When I called to inquire, I was told that "mature" 10-year-olds can also take the class. My daughter is pretty mature for her age, but why take the chance? At this point I don't feel comfortable leaving her home alone, much less being responsible for a child she's babysitting. Thanks for you input, everyone!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,294,612 times
I can remember as a kid in 4-6th grades I would come home from school 3x a week to an empty house because my mom worked part-time. She would get home about an hour after I arrived. What age is that? I don't remember... but I was perfectly capable of keeping myself out of trouble for that hour or so until she got home AND did a LOT of babysitting as a 6th grader as well (back then I got paid $1 an hour and thought I was MADE OF MONEY with that payscale!!).

Old 10-24-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I can remember as a kid in 4-6th grades I would come home from school 3x a week to an empty house because my mom worked part-time. She would get home about an hour after I arrived. What age is that? I don't remember... but I was perfectly capable of keeping myself out of trouble for that hour or so until she got home AND did a LOT of babysitting as a 6th grader as well (back then I got paid $1 an hour and thought I was MADE OF MONEY with that payscale!!).
I babysat too when I was 11 or 12. And I definitely remember being home alone for hours at that age. Times have changed I guess.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 AM

3,033 posts, read 6,087,834 times
Sometimes my 8 year old's bus gets home about 10 min before I do (why it can't come at the same time every day is beyond me..) She knows to go inside the house, call me and I keep her on the phone until I'm in the driveway. I've clocked it. The longest we've had to be on the phone is 10 min. The usual when it happens (about 1-2x/week) is 3-4 min. Once football season is over, I'll have one or both of the older kids home after school so I won't be as pressed to get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina