U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 PM

24 posts, read 41,599 times

Advertisements

I own a business that I can put just about anywhere. I happened to spot online, a house I liked in Wilson, NC.

I was wondering if the area would be safe for a single woman with a Yankee (north of Boston) accent, no kids, one cat situation? Also, I was wondering if Wilson was friendly to women business owners?

Last but not least, I was wondering if living in the Historical District was a good idea, or, if it carries excessive amounts of regulation?

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 AM

3,802 posts, read 9,729,481 times
Why Wilson? Not knocking it but definitely would not be on my list of relocation choices. From someone who is also from New England, if you are looking for a smaller town feel with quaint downtown, I'd recommend Apex, Hillsborough, Pittsborough, Chapel Hill. Cary is a large bedroom community, mostly suburban. Cary's downtown district is small but there is a current push to restore it...I think it's going to be great one day. While Raleigh is not a small town, it is a smallish city with some fantastic historical areas/buildings/housing (but much more expensive).

Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 AM

129 posts, read 205,606 times
It makes a difference which of the historic districts you decide to move into. There are I think three of them. We live two houses outside of the one encompassing West Nash in a historic house.

Why Wilson you ask? Because our house would have cost at least 4X what we paid for it if it was in Oakwood inside the beltline. If you like older pre-war houses, drive up Nash between Raleigh Road and Ward heading north.

I would say yes to your questions, again depending on which district. But there aren't any specific issues or regulations regarding older homes that I am aware of. Perhaps a two cat minimum

If you PM me I can get you in touch with someone that works for the town involved in historical houses ie. finding one not as visible in the MLS.

Best,

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveMeow View Post
I own a business that I can put just about anywhere. I happened to spot online, a house I liked in Wilson, NC.

I was wondering if the area would be safe for a single woman with a Yankee (north of Boston) accent, no kids, one cat situation? Also, I was wondering if Wilson was friendly to women business owners?

Last but not least, I was wondering if living in the Historical District was a good idea, or, if it carries excessive amounts of regulation?

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 AM

34,603 posts, read 28,968,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Why Wilson? Not knocking it but definitely would not be on my list of relocation choices. From someone who is also from New England, if you are looking for a smaller town feel with quaint downtown, I'd recommend Apex, Hillsborough, Pittsborough, Chapel Hill. Cary is a large bedroom community, mostly suburban. Cary's downtown district is small but there is a current push to restore it...I think it's going to be great one day. While Raleigh is not a small town, it is a smallish city with some fantastic historical areas/buildings/housing (but much more expensive).
The only reasons I could think of for moving to Wilson are cheap houses and cheap, fast Internet.

Neither of those would be enough to lure me there.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:04 PM

105 posts, read 336,697 times
Check out Cary we love it Very pretty, Easy to get in and out of! etc, Safe ,clean, welcome to all !

Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 PM

185 posts, read 515,103 times
There is a hugeeeee gulf in style between the Wilson Historical District homes and those available in Cary. Wow.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 PM

24 posts, read 41,599 times
About all I need is a place to put my in-home business & hang my hat & live in peace. So a place doesn't need to be overly fancy. Just home.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
There is a hugeeeee gulf in style between the Wilson Historical District homes and those available in Cary. Wow.
Agreed. Best historic homes in the Triangle are in Raleigh. IMHO.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveMeow View Post
About all I need is a place to put my in-home business & hang my hat & live in peace. So a place doesn't need to be overly fancy. Just home.
Wilson isn't fancy. It's. Dull?

Disclaimer: I was born there. Lived there until I was 3. My dad moved there after my parents split up. Wilson holds zero appeal to me. Zero. There's pretty much nothing to do there. The only mall couldn't even stay open. I guess I'm biased, but it has always struck me as a backward town. The historic district is pretty. It's just missing any sort of allure.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 AM

3 posts, read 14,124 times
Not sure about your choice of Wilson, as it is not at the beach, for scenery, nor does it have the gorgeous mountain backdrop of western NC. There are plenty of historical towns throughout NC, and I have lived in a few.

In some, the regulations are very strict, in that it takes 18 months to get the color of paint approved by a committee, while others only "allow" certain colors, landscaping, etc. Others are strictly hands off, and just post a vague set of guidelines. You have to research the historical board of the neighborhood you choose before buying.

Maybe rent for six months to see if it is indeed where you want to live. NC small town life is not like New England small town life, and we go crazy over a snow flurry- bread and milk are sold out for days.

And if you are a gardner, it's hard to get some traditional plants to grow in the sand or red clay extremes.

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina