Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 20,796 times

Advertisements

Really thinking about relocating back to Winston-Salem from WA state. Where is/are the best high school(s) in Winston-Salem?

Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 06:29 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,467 times
I remember throughout all my youth there that Reynolds was always considered the best....that was only 10 years ago and I doubt much has changed. Mt.Tabor and North Forsyth (my school) were often considered the next tier.

I'd say steer clear from Reagan High....known to be full of really nasty rednecks...and avoid Carver or Parkland (rough crowd).

Old 10-19-2006, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 20,796 times
Default more input on WS schools

Hi

Any more input from anyone???? Help.

Rick

Old 10-19-2006, 06:17 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,193 times
Are you planning on moving to Winston-Salem proper or one of the outlining towns? From the little I have learned since living here, what Raleigh Rob wrote you is good information. I saw a brief segment on the news about Carver and it wasn't hard to see you wouldn't want to send your child there. There are websites like http://www.greatschools.net that can also help you do a bit of detective work on your own.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 58,855 times
I've always heard really good things about Mount Tabor--surrounded by good neighborhoods and has always churned out some really great and academic students. Give it a look.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:00 AM

75 posts, read 383,649 times
If you are considering private schools, also, check out Calvary Baptist in Winston-Salem. I have heard great things about them.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 12,541 times
I thought Mt. Tabor High School would be nice, but its turning out to be a nightmare for some kids.

Since our school system changed so kids could go anywhere in their district, there are kids coming from the other side of town, not from the nearby neighborhoods. So in other words, they don't normally see or interact with the kids at school who do live nearby.

Mount Tabor is in a fairly well to do section of town, with many kids driving BMWs, etc. Then on the other hand, we have kids being bussed from the other side of town, no cars. So we have very rich kids, and very poor kids, and some of in the middle kids.

There is a fight at school about twice a week.
Girls in the bathrooms throwing up from morning sickness, lots of pregnant girls. Some kids try to steal other kids jackets, even LUNCHES! right out in the open.

I am told that its safe to smoke pot in the gym.

Kids are afraid to report bullying, violence or theft, because the friends of the thugs will get you later.

This school has a serious racial division that makes it a hostile environment for kids to go to. If some of these thugs attending Mt Tabor were adults in the workplace, they would have been arrested many times over.

No, I DON"T recommend Mt Tabor, based on what is happening there now.

I am hearing that there is better racial harmony at Reynolds, and less of the extremely rich and extremely poor. Less violence.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:33 PM

702 posts, read 2,524,894 times
I think West Forsyth is still regarded as a "good" school...I went there 100 years ago and I guess I've turned out okay...It's in Clemmons, which is about 10 minutes outside W-S. Chris Paul, NBA rookie of the year in 2006, graduated from West Forsyth a couple of years ago.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:03 AM

676 posts, read 3,075,193 times
I found a really good website that has the NC public school report card.
http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/adv...2006&aSearch=1

Only two high schools were 'schools of distinction or progress'. They are East and West Forsyth High and both aren't in Winston-Salem proper.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:08 AM

178 posts, read 875,135 times
I went to RJ Reynolds and it has consistantly been rated one of the top public high schools in the country. Growing up, very few people sent their children to private schools because Reynolds was considered such a good school. This remain the same today.

This is not the case in Charlotte, where all of my friends send their children to private schools. Winston is very lucky that parents have continued to support public education- thats what makes it work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point