U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,752,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
That's a ridiculous assumption.

Are the people in these 2600 new jobs sending all their money out of NC? Are they buying gas/groceries/clothes/etc outside of NC?

I'm pretty sure they will be paying taxes in NC (income/gas/property/etc).
They will be shopping at NC stores as well (those stores need employees, too)
This can create low level jobs

Maybe some of the ones that will be hired are currently in a low-level job which they will need to leave to start with Metlife.
This can create low level jobs
Trickle-down jobonomics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 PM

602 posts, read 486,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Trickle-down jobonomics.

Yeah, you're right. I can't believe we're letting these scumbags bring 2600 well-paying jobs...

Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM

669 posts, read 804,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Folks I'm in central CT now. Go to the Ct page and see all the garbage people are posting about NC saying there's no culture. People up here think culture's all about chasing a buck. Sadly Dems are slowing desroying this state.
LOL. Democrats controlled NC until January 2013. This project was done by our Democratic governor.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM

107 posts, read 158,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
NC needs decent paying LOW LEVEL jobs for the unemployed who are already here.
Businesses don't create jobs to employ people - they employ people to produce a profitable product or service.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM

431 posts, read 819,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Exactly. The economy sucks.

Many will move here.

Let's see how many new jobs here are posted before anyone gets excited. I bet it'll be less than 20%.

NO management will be worked with to move down (selling their existing home is on them.. good luck) non-management have to reapply and still sell their own home and move (again good luck). Most of the IT jobs were in Somerset, NJ and now they will move to Cary.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:44 PM

3,318 posts, read 5,166,627 times
So MetLife received over $90 million in incentives to bring them to Cary and Charlotte. Two places NOT hurting for jobs. Even though that is a crap ton of money, it would have been easier to swallow if it went to a city outside of the Piedmont Crescent.

But noooo, McCrory is looking out for number one, Charlotte.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:12 PM

6,270 posts, read 10,002,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
So MetLife received over $90 million in incentives to bring them to Cary and Charlotte. Two places NOT hurting for jobs.
I'm pretty sure that Metlife chose which areas of this state they were interested in. If you don't like the choices, blame it on Metlife.
Quote:
Even though that is a crap ton of money, it would have been easier to swallow if it went to a city outside of the Piedmont Crescent.
And how is the air travel outside of NC's Piedmont Crescent? What about the number of educated people who could fill the jobs of those who don't move to NC with Metlife? How about the infrastructure to handle 2,600 new families (something that even Charlotte and Cary struggle to provide; rural NC would be worse)?
Quote:
But noooo, McCrory is looking out for number one, Charlotte.
The higher paying jobs are going to Cary. This is no doubt another choice made by Metlife.

You want the truth; here it is. Take away Charlotte and the Triangle, and this company would have had absolutely ZERO interest in this state; period. There will be future companies looking for a more rural setting to set up shop in and I look forward to seeing those jobs come here too. Just understand that Metlife is NOT such a company. The fact that NC had to compete against St Louis for this company shows that rural America was not on Metlife's radar.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,290,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Folks I'm in central CT now. Go to the Ct page and see all the garbage people are posting about NC saying there's no culture. People up here think culture's all about chasing a buck. Sadly Dems are slowing desroying this state.
Obviously MetLife is more attracted to NC than CT, much like many, many other companies. And people.

From the Connecticut forum:
MetLife moving 2,600 employees to North Carolina

The only one that seems to be hating is you and if you're so unhappy with the way things work, ect... why the hell are you still here?

Lastly, do you think anyone in NC gives a crap if people in CT are talking bad about us? I strongly doubt it.

Last edited by fltonc12; 03-09-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 06:10 PM

28,404 posts, read 61,878,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Obviously MetLife is more attracted to (the lower labor and real estate costs in) NC than
(what they will have to pay for such elsewhere like CA and in) CT, much like many, many other companies.
How about that. This reminds me of a story I once heard...

Quote:
The only one that seems to be hating is you...
I can't speak for everyone with reservations or criticism but I'll repeat what was said before:
NC (and Charlotte in particular) needs more and better paid LOW LEVEL employment.

NC can use some of the other sort too... but it NEED's that labor work.
Work that will pay well enough for people to be self supporting and maybe even (gasp!)
pay some taxes too. Either that or we need a way to export a whole bunch of folks.

The pique is about the back slapping and roostering for a deal that is far more like a late game
home run when you're already ahead by 3 than than some sort of game saving play.

hth

Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,290,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How about that. This reminds me of a story I once heard...

I can't speak for everyone with reservations or criticism but I'll repeat what was said before:
NC (and Charlotte in particular) needs more and better paid LOW LEVEL employment.

NC can use some of the other sort too... but it NEED's that labor work.
Work that will pay well enough for people to be self supporting and maybe even (gasp!)
pay some taxes too. Either that or we need a way to export a whole bunch of folks.

The pique is about the back slapping and roostering for a deal that is far more like a late game
home run when you're already ahead by 3 than than some sort of game saving play.

hth
I have no clue what the point of your context was.

More jobs are coming. That's all that should matter. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina