Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 PM

128 posts, read 541,004 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Just wondering if I could ask everyone for some advice about where in NC you would suggest would be best for me. Please allow me to briefly introduce my situation. I am a young 30's professional in the healthcare field currently living/working/renting in Philadelphia. Basically me and my gf are ready to buy our first home and I don't want to buy a house in PA or it's tri-state area. I have lived in this area for most of my life and I want to try a new city with new experience. Plus I hate the types of homes PA has to offer. They are all really old and expensive. My gf and my parents have both been out to NC and loved it there and plus from the types of homes I have seen online there they looked so beautiful and contemporary.
My question, which city/area would you suggest I consider in NC? I prefer to be a little away from the coastal area to avoid any hurricane issues. I want to live in the suburbs but not in the middle of nowheresville however in an active, lively community and hopefully 30-40 mins close to major cities for some fun and action. I have considered areas like Charlotte or Huntersville and even areas around Raleigh however I don't know much about the areas. For my job, I just need to be near hospitals. My gf and I are both Asian so it would be nice to be near someplace with cultural and ethnic diversity but not mandatory. We both love the outdoors like lakes and trees but also want to be close to major cities (I guess the suburbs fits me best).

Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:22 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
More major hospitals in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area). There are two superlative teaching hospitals in Duke and UNC and about 3 non-teaching hospitals in Durham Regional, Wake Med and Rex (the last two in Raleigh). I may have left out some smaller ones.

I think Charlotte has two or three major non-teaching hospitals and then Rock Hill SC (right over the border has one, too, I believe). UNC and Duke hospitals are more well-known nationally with many people coming from all over the region and nation for care.

Plenty of diversity in the Triangle and the Charlotte area, too. Closer to the beach in the Triangle (about 2 hrs away) and closer to the mountains in Charlotte (about 2 hrs away).

Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Charlotte sounds like what you are looking for...its typically more affordable than Raleigh and you can get more for your money....its also a more cosmopolitan city which it seems you are looking for in trying to get away from Philly.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
More major hospitals in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area). There are two superlative teaching hospitals in Duke and UNC and about 3 non-teaching hospitals in Durham Regional, Wake Med and Rex (the last two in Raleigh). I may have left out some smaller ones.

I think Charlotte has two or three major non-teaching hospitals and then Rock Hill SC (right over the border has one, too, I believe). UNC and Duke hospitals are more well-known nationally with many people coming from all over the region and nation for care.

Plenty of diversity in the Triangle and the Charlotte area, too. Closer to the beach in the Triangle (about 2 hrs away) and closer to the mountains in Charlotte (about 2 hrs away).
CMC has hospitals all over the Charlotte area. Presbyterian has several & there are other hospitals in the area, like Gaston Memorial in Gastonia.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 PM

I've been looking into areas around charlotte such as Huntersville, mooreseville and Cornelius. Any thoughts on those areas and if they would suit what I am looking for? Not to sound repetitive but I am looking to buy a home in a nice safe suburb area close by or driving distance to nice lakes, outdoors as well as big cities. I like active communities that has festivals and fairs, etc but not so busy that it reminds me of big cities.
Could anyone give me a little more insights into those towns or any other areas and what your personal thoughts are?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM

Wake Med, Duke, and UNC hospitals also have multiple hospitals. I just didn't break them down. UNC has 5 hospitals in Chapel Hill alone: N.C. Memorial Hospital, N.C. Children's Hospital, N.C. Women's Hospital, N.C. Cancer Hospital, N.C. Neurosciences Hospital. Duke has a similar number, plus the Raleigh hospitals. If you break it down and count them I'm confident that the Triangle has more hospitals than the Charlotte area. Certainly the Triangle, with two major medical schools and hospitals that serve people from all over the world, is more well-known for healthcare than Metrolina.

Plenty of suburbs in either area.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
I've been looking into areas around charlotte such as Huntersville, mooreseville and Cornelius. Any thoughts on those areas and if they would suit what I am looking for?
If you search the Charlotte sub-forum, you will find plenty of comments on those area. They are all nice suburbs. Cornelius also has some lake-front property in the multi-million range.

For example:

difference between Davidson, Mooresville, and Cornelius
Potential Move to Huntersville, Mooresville, Ballentyne, or Indian Trail Area
difference between Davidson, Mooresville, and Cornelius

Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Best Hospitals in North Carolina - US News Best Hospitals

Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius.......those are good areas if you can afford them and have a job within them....I hate to say this, but IMO, you would like this area better than what Raleigh/Durham has to offer...the suburbs in Raleigh are OK, but not in the same stratosphere as these in North Charlotte.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 PM

Thank you to you all for your advice, comments and suggestions! I wish I could afford lake front properties but my price range will be between $275-325k. From the house listings I've seen so far in those areas in my price range there seems to be a lot of beautiful houses to choose from. To clarify my hospital preference, I'm not a doctor but rather a pharmacist. Yes I could prolly work at places like cvs or Walgreens anywhere but I would much rather work in a hospital instead. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina