U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:32 AM

137 posts, read 524,220 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating to the Washington, NC or Greenville area. I'm looking for information, pos or neg about the area, by people who know these towns. Any posts will be appreciated. Thanks,

Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2006, 07:48 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,387,729 times
Washington is a very beautiful town, but you'd probably already need a job set in advance before going there due to the small size of the area. Greenville is a nice town with East Carolina University and a good health care industry. Don't know much else about those areas. I know in general once you get east of the Raleigh area (with the exception of Wilmington), the economies of most areas of eastern NC aren't very good and it's pretty rual. If you are set on eastern NC, another nice, pretty area to consider would be Elizabeth City, in the extreme NE corner of the state.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:57 AM

956 posts, read 4,075,691 times
I lived in Greenville for 7 years.
Little Washington, as it is called, is really a dying town. I think they even closed down the one shopping mall they had in town. However, they have a nice waterfront area, and some pretty interesting creeks etc.
Greenville is really the cultural and economic center of Eastern NC. ECU and Pitt Co. Memorial Hospital are the two biggest employers. If you work in Education or Health-care, you should find plenty to do. If you are more blue collar, they have lost some of their manufacturing base like most of the country and NC.
As a place to live, it just depends on what you like. Here are some points to consider.
*When you get away from ECU and the Hospital, it is really still very old South, Tobacco road.
*Racially very divided
*Long hot and humid summers- mild but sometimes very wet winters.
*Hurricanes. I went through 7 in the 7 years I was there.
*Lots of chain restaurants.
*Rapidly growing.
*Areas like Winterville and especially Ayden are a little cheaper but adjacent to the city.
*Small city.
*Unique type of BBQ and Pig Pickens at most big gatherings.
*Small airport - About 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive to RDU for major flights.
*Pine trees everywhere. Very heavy pollen season.
*Politically conservative.
*Churches, especially Baptist abound.
*Active hunting/gun culture.

I could go on, but I think that is a pretty accurate picture. PM if you like.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:03 PM

[
Doesn't sound like the Washington I saw when I was there in June. It seemed to be a growing area but not as fast as the peidmont. I do work in healthcare so that would be a plus for me in Greenville. How long ago were you living in Greenville?

QUOTE=mhogan10010;116209]I lived in Greenville for 7 years.
Little Washington, as it is called, is really a dying town. I think they even closed down the one shopping mall they had in town. However, they have a nice waterfront area, and some pretty interesting creeks etc.
Greenville is really the cultural and economic center of Eastern NC. ECU and Pitt Co. Memorial Hospital are the two biggest employers. If you work in Education or Health-care, you should find plenty to do. If you are more blue collar, they have lost some of their manufacturing base like most of the country and NC.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM

I was in Greenville from 1992 - 1997. Granted things may have changed in Little Washington since then. But, during the time I was there Little Washington was hemorrhaging pretty badly.

I don't think you mentioned where you were moving from?

Old 10-12-2006, 09:56 AM

Default Hello mhogan

I'm going to be selling my house here, just north of Annapolis, Maryland next spring, mhogan. I think that since 1997 things may have turned around in little Washington. I would like to live somewhere east of Greenville and west of little Washington, out in the country but away from a flood zone. Any other comments about the area as you remember it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

Old 10-12-2006, 10:34 AM

Couple of things. First, be aware of the creeks or rivers that you are near. I made a mistake in my earlier post. I was in Greenville until 1999. I was there for the awful hurricane and floods that year. During that event, even the areas out toward Washington had some problems. In fact a private golf out there was basically under water. I think they have now turned it into a municipal course. So, anything near the tar river, or the creeks is suspect.
Secondly, make sure that if you move near water, you check it out during the summer months. A friend of mine bought a place near a creek in Grimesland. He bought it during the winter and got a great deal. Well, during the spring the biting flies emerged. For almost 6 months out of the year, he couldn't go to the mail box without being eaten alive.
Thirdly, you are going to be considered a Yankee in that area. From here (NYC), Maryland is considered South. But, down there it is considered Yankee country. Just be aware of the difference.
PM if you like.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:27 PM

132 posts, read 504,282 times
I grew up in Eastern NC and have many relatives there and in little Washington. I think people who live there like the slower pace of life. The area is undergoing a resurgance as it gets more fame as the "Inner Banks". They are building lots of home communities on the rivers and sounds. More and more retirees are moving there and I feel the businesses will follow. If you like outdoor activities ie water, river etc you will probably like it.
Greenville is a nice town with ECU there and much more shopping/business opportunities. Go not far out of city limits and you will be back in rural areas.
Personally I would not live in Washington (love Target if they got one I would reconsider LOL) but would consider Greenville. However I did not move too far away (Raleigh).

HTH

Old 10-12-2006, 04:54 PM

mhogan,
I never would have thought that biting flies would be such a problem. I'll definately watch the proximity to creeks and swampy areas when I get to the point of looking for a house. What I'll do first is rent a small house or apartment in the area to "get a feel" for the area and where the best place would be for me to live.

ncmomtothree,
I do have a sailboat so that's why I need the water nearby. How does Raleigh compare to Greenville besides the obvious things like bigger with more traffic?

Brad

Old 10-12-2006, 07:38 PM

505 posts, read 2,315,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandsailor View Post
mhogan,
I never would have thought that biting flies would be such a problem. I'll definately watch the proximity to creeks and swampy areas when I get to the point of looking for a house. What I'll do first is rent a small house or apartment in the area to "get a feel" for the area and where the best place would be for me to live.

ncmomtothree,
I do have a sailboat so that's why I need the water nearby. How does Raleigh compare to Greenville besides the obvious things like bigger with more traffic?

Brad
You might want to look at New Bern as well. It would be my top choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or