U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:47 PM

770 posts, read 1,477,459 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

As a toll road opponent here in TX, I have noticed that every state that currently has toll roads except for Texas, plans on the existing and planned toll routes to become free.

I just recently noticed that North Carolina's transportation department has established some toll routes with plans for more. Unlike here in TX, where it will take a new governor and new legislation to remove the tolls eventually, I am curious as to if the tolls will be removed from the routes in NC once the construction costs of each route are paid off.

I' am looking at maybe moving to NC someday, so I would hope that they would be by the time I retire (I am currently 28).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 11:07 PM

601 posts, read 790,387 times
If there is a low traffic count on these roads, then it is possible they could be removed sometime in the future. However, I wouldn't hold your breath. For one, with a possible exception to I-95, only some select newer roads built will be toll roads (usually bypasses, loops, auxiliary routes, etc.). Secondly, I believe some of these toll roads will be outsourced to private companies, with some having contracts as high as 50 years (this might only apply to toll lanes, but I'm not entirely too sure; I've only heard this in regards to the HOT lanes on I-77).

In any case, I wouldn't worry about it. There's only one toll road in the entire state, and the other planned toll roads are still some ways off. And again, they will be newer roads. Roads that you won't be "required" to take, but they may make the commute quicker than the alternative.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:27 AM

21,901 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Hi all,

As a toll road opponent here in TX, I have noticed that every state that currently has toll roads except for Texas, plans on the existing and planned toll routes to become free.

I just recently noticed that North Carolina's transportation department has established some toll routes with plans for more. Unlike here in TX, where it will take a new governor and new legislation to remove the tolls eventually, I am curious as to if the tolls will be removed from the routes in NC once the construction costs of each route are paid off.

I' am looking at maybe moving to NC someday, so I would hope that they would be by the time I retire (I am currently 28).
ROFLMAO Have you told this to anyone in positions of authority in PA or NJ?

There is always an excuse to keep the tolls, in fact, the tolls regularly get raised.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:47 AM

216 posts, read 468,268 times
As more northeners move south to NC, this will probably become the norm since toll roads are a way of life up there.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 AM

21,901 posts, read 27,179,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc130radio View Post
As more northeners move south to NC, this will probably become the norm since toll roads are a way of life up there.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? In 40 years of driving in South Jersey I took a toll road 4 times & each was because of a darned good reason.. Toll bridges are another thing, because you don't have a free option to them. Toll roads get people travelling through an area who don't know the free options.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 PM

20 posts, read 26,198 times
There's a plan to turn the HOV lanes on 77 to toll lanes, but I haven't heard anything about turning entire rds into toll roads. With the lanes they can use electronic tolls only and save the cost of constructing and maintaining tollbooths.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:16 PM

5,102 posts, read 5,969,453 times
Roads aren't free, nor cheap, nor is the maintenance.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 AM

10,522 posts, read 4,388,252 times
Tolls will never go away as it is a revenue source that politicians just love to have.

1964 V-N bridge opens connecting SI to Brooklyn toll only to be charged till bridge paid for,about 30 years, Roundtrip toll today $13

Tolls never go away

Old 03-21-2013, 08:54 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,068,698 times
There's not a chance in heII that the state would voluntarily remove revenue generating devices. Typically, from prior experience, someone would have to successfully sue to have them removed if they've exceeded the lifespan/amount earned, that were supposed to lead to them being removed.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:14 PM

2,166 posts, read 2,362,458 times
Southbound and boss hit it right on the head.......
TOLLS NEVER GO AWAY. It's just too easy a revenue source!

NJ and Penn Turnpikes, NY Thruway, etc. all toll roads that were designed to go away once the build cost was recouped. HAHAHA!!!!!!!!
I guess you could argue the build cost never goes away because of the constant upgrades and repaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina