U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 03:03 PM

4,604 posts, read 4,424,062 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't think duplicate programs need to be cut. Only so many students can enter certain programs a semester and there are enough students to warrant the need for duplicate programs. The problem I have with the GOP is all they think about is cut cut cut and they cut the very things that drives our economy. They have no solution to grow the economy. This is what we are seeing on the national level as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 03:27 PM

10,005 posts, read 9,031,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I am not saying closing UNCA, but either making it go private, or semi-private. We appropriate almost $36k per student there. UNC is next at almost $18K. Only 880 students are at UNCA.

And I know some schools have different missions. But guess what? They all need food. They all have data storage. There is A LOT of "back office" duplication that can be merged at these close in proximity schools.
That is we no. There are close to 4,000 at UNCA, and it is unique in that it is a public, small liberal arts college that is affordable for lower income state residents.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,762,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That is we no. There are close to 4,000 at UNCA, and it is unique in that it is a public, small liberal arts college that is affordable for lower income state residents.
How is it different from WCU, App State WS State, UNCG, ECU. It seems it is just one of many.

Love being true to your school, but what makes it more special than any of the above, and more?

That is the question for all of the Non-UNC's and NC States.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,193,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Woopes, should have been UNCSA. There are 880 students at the School of Arts.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
How is it different from WCU, App State WS State, UNCG, ECU. It seems it is just one of many.

Love being true to your school, but what makes it more special than any of the above, and more?

That is the question for all of the Non-UNC's and NC States.
Well uh, East Carolina has a medical school, dental school, the only public PA school in NC(as of now), The largest College of Nursing in the Mid-Atlantic states.

Not to mention their first love with graduating teachers.

ECU is no where near those other schools.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I would see UNCG is the most vulnerable of all. But it will be a political decision not a rational one, so who knows. If you have been to UNCSA you would realize it is on another level from any other film departments in the state, and all but six in the world. You really are not comparing two of the same.

Speaking of comparing two of the same, I still believe that education departments will be on the chopping block. But we will see.
UNCG was THE Women's College, when it was just the Consolidated University of North Carolina that included UNC-CH and NCSU. That went from 1931 to 1969 when three additional campuses were added to the system.

So, UNCG is safe. They are a non-starter. Plus, do you realize how close Greensboro and the ACC schools are to each other?

So...just....no.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 PM

Furthermore, there are six schools that have a Carnegie Classification as a Doctoral/Research University: East Carolina, NCA&T, NCSU, UNCCH, UNCC, and UNCG.

Those schools are absolutely safe. They are also the largest school; minus NCA&T, which is 8th.

Start with the Bachelor's classification and work your way up.

Just for an FYI, whats the difference in the classifications:

Doctoral Universities award at least 20 research doctoral degrees (excluding doctoral-level degrees that qualify recipients for entry into professional practice, such as the JD, MD, PharmD, DPT, etc.).

Master's Universities award at least 50 master's degrees and fewer than 20 doctoral degrees

Baccalaureate Colleges are institutions where baccalaureate degrees represent at least 10 percent of all undergraduate degrees and where fewer than 50 master's degrees or 20 doctoral degrees were awarded

Old 03-23-2013, 07:07 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,762,389 times
Quote:
Well uh, East Carolina has a medical school, dental school, the only public PA school in NC(as of now), The largest College of Nursing in the Mid-Atlantic states.

Not to mention their first love with graduating teachers.

ECU is no where near those other schools.
Wow, I guess I have to spell it out for some.

ECU will survive, and in doing so, will continue to teach teachers as well as docs, etc. But I am not sure why having redundant PhD offerings makes a school safe. Maybe it does, but redundant at any level is, well, redundant. Nowhere Have I stated the ECU was in trouble, but it is a liberal arts university with a much stronger footing than some of the MANY others in the UNC System.

It is some of the other colleges that teach teachers that I bet are in trouble.

Arguing proves nothing so let us stop. I received my degrees out of state, and my children will be done very soon. Thank God. I cannot imagine what a parent with kids not yet in high school must think of the state of education in the Old North State!

Fortunately, I don't have a dog in the fight.

We will see

Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 PM

426 posts, read 507,044 times
Quote:
Furthermore, there are six schools that have a Carnegie Classification as a Doctoral/Research University: East Carolina, NCA&T, NCSU, UNCCH, UNCC, and UNCG.

Those schools are absolutely safe. They are also the largest school; minus NCA&T, which is 8th.
It is also worth mentioning that North Carolina A&T is the FOURTH largest HBCU in the country (total enrollment), of the 105 remaining. When you look at stats that only include undergrad enrollment, it ranks even higher. What are the Largest Black Colleges in the U.S.?

This is more significant on a national level than a state level, as A&T is EXTREMELY popular countrywide amongst those interested in HBCUs. In fact, enrolling more out-of-state students above the percentage cap is proving to be an issue for my alma mater. The Daily Tar Heel :: NC A&T exceeds out-of-state student cap

I've also often read that A&T is 3rd in the UNC System when ranked by incoming research dollars. Given its size when compared with the top two, that's very impressive. Research at North Carolina A&T - North Carolina A&T State University

Where "uniqueness" is concerned, there's this:
Rankings & Recognition - North Carolina A&T State University
N.C. A&T graduates the nation’s largest number of African American engineers at the undergraduate, master's and doctoral levels and psychology undergraduates. Through our School of Business and Economics, we are also among the largest producers of African American certified public accountants.

True to our heritage, N.C. A&T is home to the largest agricultural school among historically black colleges and is the nation’s second largest producer of minority agricultural graduates.

In 2008, we were awarded a prestigious National Science Foundation's Engineering Research Center (ERC) grant for biomedical engineering and nano-bio applications research.

As an alumnus and proud supporter of the HBCU environment, I do not believe they should all remain open, forever, just *because* they are HBCUs. Indeed, some of them deserve to remain open on their own merits. Conversely, there are both HBCUs and PWIs that aren't all that impressive (and I realize that has a degree of subjectivity).

We would go absolutely nuts if there were a movement to close the North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University - - - and we would have every reason to.

AGGIE PRIDE

Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,875 times
Default Campus enrollment and efficiency

Closing some campuses that have low enrollment and low efficiency could certainly help the state to allocate limited resources more effectively. For years, Fayetteville State University has a declining enrollment in most of its programs. Classrooms are more than half empty. Sports facilities are not accessible to students, faculty and staff during weekend and day time. FSU has the lowest endowment among all NC schools (http://www.carolinapublicpress.org/1...n-institutions). Yet the campus still houses a large number of administrators. Taxpayers should welcome closing under-utilized and less effective campuses and prefer developing more effective ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina