U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,689,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Are you in middle school? Can you have a conversation without made up pet names? Don't let your hate blind you.
No I'm not in middle school, thank you very much! If you want me to be cordial, I will not refer to your party as Republicreeps, I will say GOP for now on, okay! I'm not blinded by hatred, I'm disgusted by the stupidity that comes from the ones who currently run the statehouse these days, which happens to be the GOP! For the record, I'm an Independant, but my views do lean more Democrat, if you care to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 AM

602 posts, read 487,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
No I'm not in middle school, thank you very much! If you want me to be cordial, I will not refer to your party as Republicreeps, I will say GOP for now on, okay! I'm not blinded by hatred, I'm disgusted by the stupidity that comes from the ones who currently run the statehouse these days, which happens to be the GOP! For the record, I'm an Independant, but my views do lean more Democrat, if you care to know!

I'm actually unaffiliated. Both parties suck I just try to even out the hate.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,689,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
I'm actually unaffiliated. Both parties suck I just try to even out the hate.
For once we can agree on something!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM

21,966 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
UNSCA is a lot more than another four year college, It is a conservatory that requires way, way more than just going to class.

I would say my daughter averages 5 - 6 hours a day working on films, or projects outside of formal classes. They are all like that. It is not unusual to work into the early morning hours in order to gain access to required resources. Her first couple of years it was seven day weeks more than not. Certainly not a diploma mill.

UNSCA has little in common with the other four year colleges in the state, that is why those that seek its consolidation just dont have enough information.
As a graduate of an accredited art school, with a BFA, I will back up what you have said. Admission standards are stringent. Liberal arts classes are required. Studio classes are twice as long - 6 hour classes get you 3 credits, and hours must be spent working in studios because you need access to equipment, outside of class time.

when I was a student, I spent 10 - 12 hours a day, 5 days & nights a week, in classes & working in the school.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,871 times
Default Ineffective campus should be closed

Some campuses that are ineffective and not producing real return on taxpayers' dollar should be cut, and the resources should be put to other more effective schools. For instance, the UNC System has been cutting Fayetteville State University's budget in recent years, and appears to continue to cut the budget in 2013-2014, e.g.: "Fayetteville State University could see cuts of 5 to 6 percent"
Fayetteville State University could see cuts of 5 to 6 percent

FSU is ranked 436 (out of all 437 public universities) in terms of Return-On-Investment across the country. These statistics tell how well FSU is doing in preparing its students for the workforce. Please check this:
Fayetteville State University School Salary, Average Salaries | PayScale

FSU's endowment is ranked the lowest among all the NC universities, as listed on this web page, which says: "The smallest endowment was at Fayetteville State University ...":
http://www.carolinapublicpress.org/1...n-institutions

While endowment amount may not reflect a school's current performance, it does show the ability and willingness that alumni and stakeholders would like to invest in this university, and the impression that people have on this school's future.

FSU has a long history of educating students, but its enrollment has been steadily declining (down below to about 5700 now) and shows sign of continual decline. It is producing extremely low ROI for students. Stakeholders and alumni are not willing or not able to invest on its future. While it may be painful to close a long-established school, it could help increase the overall quality of college education for the entire state. Ineffective organizations should and will be removed in the society -- think about Blockbuster, Circuit City, and Kodak.

The State of North Carolina should make its education system work better for all its residents and other stakeholders. Therefore, it is important to carefully allocated limited resources to universities. Cutting ineffective schools will definitely strengthen the higher education of the state of North Carolina, producing more and better college graduates and produce higher ROI in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina