Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Just sincerely curious.... Can you show me where you found this information? For someone new to NC, how can I find out where he said things or did things to have you say that?

Thanks
His record on LGBT-bullying issues is in the article. He blocked GLESN from having access to the schools, compared the bullying of gay kids to "kids who where glasses" (ignoring the MUCH higher rate of suicide and attempted suicide among those kids), and voted against every single proposal on LGBT bullying that came before him. Although the majority of the school board is bad on this issue, he was one of the most outspoken. I also led a gay-straight alliance chapter in Forsyth County high school and had to deal with the kind of anti-LGBT biases described in the article personally. Maybe my words seem strong, but I'm just disgusted by his record of obstructionism when it came to the horrible bullying of children in the WS/FCS system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
His record on LGBT-bullying issues is in the article. He blocked GLESN from having access to the schools, compared the bullying of gay kids to "kids who where glasses" (ignoring the MUCH higher rate of suicide and attempted suicide among those kids), and voted against every single proposal on LGBT bullying that came before him. Although the majority of the school board is bad on this issue, he was one of the most outspoken. I also led a gay-straight alliance chapter in Forsyth County high school and had to deal with the kind of anti-LGBT biases described in the article personally. Maybe my words seem strong, but I'm just disgusted by his record of obstructionism when it came to the horrible bullying of children in the WS/FCS system.
That weird you said you led nd did this stuff when Matt Comer who is the chief editor of Q Notes the largest LGBT newspaper of the Carolinas.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:33 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Stop blaming Charlotte for McCrory's actions! We all know that McCrory is getting his marching orders from Art Pope, if anyone to blame for his actions is Art Pope and the teabaggers running the GA, not Charlotte! You're trying to make this into a Charlotte vs. Raleigh thing!
I am just say that all the Charlotte posters were defending McCrory here on C-D before he was elected and were basically assuring us that he'd be different from other Republicans. In a few short months, he's proving to be just like all the other right wing Republicans by his actions, nominations, etc. If he goes along with our ultra-gerrymandered legislature, he's one of them. "It quacks like a duck".

In the end, McCrory's the governor and he is the one responsible for his own nominations/policies/decisions, etc. If he's cow-towing to Art Pope, then he needs to own that too.

In the end, Charlotte made this man's political career by electing him over and over and over. I hate to say it but there's some responsibility there too.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Some of the extreme liberals who post here -- who really have no conception of what it means to be moderate -- can thank themselves for McCrory. In 2008 the extremists of the Democratic party just had to have a female governor, never mind that Moore or Cooper would have been far better. So they nominated a Stupid Cow who won in a landmark election year that was determined by moderates' dislike of Republicanism as embodied by George W. Bush, who was arguably the worst US president of modern times. The Cow, however, was not smart enough to be governor, not strong enough to hold the office, and not vested with enough integrity to announce her abdication in time for Democrats to mount an effective campaign against McCrory. Again -- thank yourselves. You had your Cow, and now you have McCrory (who, by the way, I personally voted against).
Yeah, because as we all know the Republicans in there moderate wisdom are addressing the the highly important issue of when and where it should be a felony to see a *****.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I am just say that all the Charlotte posters were defending McCrory here on C-D before he was elected and were basically assuring us that he'd be different from other Republicans. In a few short months, he's proving to be just like all the other right wing Republicans by his actions, nominations, etc. If he goes along with our ultra-gerrymandered legislature, he's one of them. "It quacks like a duck".

In the end, McCrory's the governor and he is the one responsible for his own nominations/policies/decisions, etc. If he's cow-towing to Art Pope, then he needs to own that too.

In the end, Charlotte made this man's political career by electing him over and over and over. I hate to say it but there's some responsibility there too.
I'm from the Charlotte board & I tried to sound the alarm before the election, based on a couple of factors including the fact that Chris Christie was campaigning with him. McCrory is following Christie's pattern, including what he wants to do with the colleges.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:34 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
That weird you said you led nd did this stuff when Matt Comer who is the chief editor of Q Notes the largest LGBT newspaper of the Carolinas.
I said I led a Gay-Straight Alliance chapter. There is one at almost every high school in the county, what is weird about that? And the strong language I refered to is what lasershen quoted in their post. Comer was cited as the source of the article, yes. But I was also a Forsyth County student and I am also acquainted with Collins' record.

I really don't understand what you're saying here?

Old 03-31-2013, 06:23 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
You mean the vote that took place at the same time as the Republican Presidential primary. They put it then for a reason, notice how ALL the other states who had gay marriage votes this year had them during the General Election.
Well, it was a Democratic Primary, too, just not at the Presidential level. However, I heard so many Democrats decry it as "A Republican Primary" that I later heard of Democrats who didn't vote because they didn't think they could! Watch the wording of things like this! It was a Primary, plain and simple.

And unfortunately, it was Democrats in the GA who agreed to have it then instead of November, where they feared the "Fire and Brimstone" vote who might have worked against them in general elections (seems like that happened anyway). I've never understood that, because they could have blocked it outright if they had all voted to keep it off the floor/ballot in the first place. I sure didn't expect the GA to go even MORE Republican than 2010, but of course we had the gerrymandered districts to contend with.

Quote:
We tried to get the word out. Believe me, I was one of the people calling and knocking on doors. But it was difficult to overcome that placement. Not to mention the confusion about the wording.
Yup, most didn't notice the "any domestic legal union" part that was the REAL danger, meaning no civil unions--for same-sex OR opposite-sex couples, can ever be recognized here now. MOST NC'ians at the time did not support same-sex marriage but DID support civil unions--yet the voted against them because the pro-Amendment folks had calculatingly downplayed the "any domestic legal union" verbiage that had actually caused a similar bill to FAIL in Arizona once it got out.

The Anti-Amendment people worked very hard at a grass roots level (including me), but Equality NC really dropped the ball on their expensive TV ads, which did not take the time to explain the full wording of the law or how you could be against same-sex marriage but still against the Amendment, just like Republican Congresswoman Renee Elmers, if you disapprove of the government inserting itself into people's private business. Instead, their expensive ad just showed a little girls blowing bubbles and said she was going to lose her health insurance--with NO explanation as to HOW.

Quote:
However, I understand that a lot of people have religious objections to same sex marriage. But if you are okay with LGBT kids being bullied and tortured in schools, okay with them killing themselves at much higher rates than their straight peers, then you don't get to call yourself religious, because you're a ****ing heartless beast.

That is what Collins represents and endorses, the systematic torture to the point of suicide of gay children. The issue of LGBT bullying in our schools transcends fights about gay marriage to simple human decency. That's all there is to it.
Definitely this man is dangerous and children will suffer.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:49 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
Lots of children get bullied for different reasons, why should LGBT kids get special treatment?

Quote:
That is what Collins represents and endorses, the systematic torture to the point of suicide of gay children.
Hyperbole much?

Old 04-01-2013, 03:46 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post

Hyperbole much?
This is what single-issue politics has become. The homosexual lobby is the mirror image of the NRA. A pox on both of them.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

I hate to say it but the fact that McCrory was the mayor of Charlotte was his weakest running point. Most people in North Carolina don't want anything like Charlotte to happen to the rest of the state. So even though I did not vote for him for that reason alone, I am glad that he turned into a Republican. He did run on the Republican ticket.

We moved out of Charlotte more than 30 years ago because we did not find it an acceptable place to live and bring up our children. We got as far away from Charlotte as we could and still have a husband working there. It was a good move and an excellent choice for us.

The only bullying I have seen is done by the gay community when they try to force their agenda down the throats of the Christian community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina