Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city or town best meets the following criteria, stated in the thread:
Charlotte 16 34.78%
Raleigh 11 23.91%
Greensboro 2 4.35%
Durham 5 10.87%
Winston-Salem 8 17.39%
Chapel Hill 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I honestly don't think uptown Charlotte should be on this thread. Based on the things you're asking about (especially future growth and development) uptown Charlotte doesn't have a NC peer. Heck, the city of Charlotte doesn't have a NC peer. Also, IMO the best NC downtowns outside of Charlotte are Asheville and Wilmington (two cities that are not on your poll).
I agree. The poll should probably say "other than Charlotte, which NC city meets this criteria best".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Asheville and Wilmington are both more deserving to be on the list than Chapel Hill. CH is a vibrant college town, but it still feels like a town--even if it's in a metro of 1.6 million.

From the list I think Raleigh edges out Charlotte actually. Then Durham, and at the bottom Winston and Greensboro alternate depending how I feel.

Last edited by Vatnos; 04-04-2013 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Asheville and Wilmington are both more deserving to be on the list than Chapel Hill.
But neither Asheville or Wilmington are Piedmont cities.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
From the list I think Raleigh edges out Charlotte actually.
Here are pics of both Raleigh and Charlotte (taken by a Triangle resident you should be familiar with).

Raleigh 2012 Year in Review

Charlotte Skyline – Spring 2011

Uptown Charlotte – November 2011

Old 04-05-2013, 11:36 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,835 times
Quote:
Asheville and Wilmington are both more deserving to be on the list than Chapel Hill. CH is a vibrant college town, but it still feels like a town--even if it's in a metro of 1.6 million.

From the list I think Raleigh edges out Charlotte actually. Then Durham, and at the bottom Winston and Greensboro alternate depending how I feel.

No No offense but how the hell does Raleigh edge Charlotte??!!!

Seriously people you could combine all of the other downtown's together and they STILL wouldn't equal Uptown Charlotte in any way, shape, or form...

Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
No No offense but how the hell does Raleigh edge Charlotte??!!!
This issue has already been put to rest on the Triangle's local forum.

From the OP of the thread link below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCJones View Post
Just for a little history I went to high school in Charlotte in the early 90's, then went to a college in the Triangle (See the sig). While in college my family moved out of state so I never really returned to Charlotte. Fast forward to today and I have lived in the Triangle and out of state ever since. Recently I had the opportunity to stay in Charlotte for a few days for work and I was absolutely struck by the stark difference in urban growth and development in Charlotte vs the Triangle. The growth and development of Uptown and now SouthEnd in comparison to downtown Raleigh and Durham is like night and day even though both areas have seen substantial growth over the last decade plus. I'm not trying to have a Charlotte vs Raleigh discussion, rather I'm trying to get an understanding of why an area with so much groth over the last 15 years plus has seen such poor development of it's dowtown and urban core. Why do you think one area has moved so much faster then the other? What has kept this from happening in Raleigh?

I live in Raleigh and will for the foreseeable future, but I would definitely consider myself more of an urban person and I've been very disappointed in the options available to me as a resident.
Development of Downtown Raleigh vs Charlotte

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-05-2013 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This issue has already been put to rest on the Triangle's local forum.

From the OP of the thread link below:

Development of Downtown Raleigh vs Charlotte

It's amazing you guys live in the biggest and most cosmopolitan city in the Carolinas, but constantly feel as though you have to promote the city you live in. Charlotte has become a much nicer city than Raleigh in my opinion. You live in one of the most bustling mid-size cities in the south, but you constantly feel the need to bash Raleigh as if it's the enemy. Just let it go. Just because some people prefer a certain place does not mean it's any diss toward Charlotte. It's one of my favorite cities and will become one of the East Coast's premier cities in 10 years. The Urban planning and growth in Charlotte is very impressive.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 PM

209 posts, read 462,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
It's amazing you guys live in the biggest and most cosmopolitan city in the Carolinas, but constantly feel as though you have to promote the city you live in. Charlotte has become a much nicer city than Raleigh in my opinion. You live in one of the most bustling mid-size cities in the south, but you constantly feel the need to bash Raleigh as if it's the enemy. Just let it go. Just because some people prefer a certain place does not mean it's any diss toward Charlotte. It's one of my favorite cities and will become one of the East Coast's premier cities in 10 years. The Urban planning and growth in Charlotte is very impressive.
The fact that many people from Raleigh bash Charlotte gives people from Charlotte a reason to bash Raleigh.

There's quite a few things that Charlotte has over Raleigh, with Raleigh having less over Charlotte and Charlotte obviously deserves bragging rights. So what's the problem?

Old 04-05-2013, 03:11 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia2012 View Post
The fact that many people from Raleigh bash Charlotte gives people from Charlotte a reason to bash Raleigh.

There's quite a few things that Charlotte has over Raleigh, with Raleigh having less over Charlotte and Charlotte obviously deserves bragging rights. So what's the problem?
I hate to tell you, but Charlotte is not an extension of you guys egos. Charlotte can definitely stand on it's own. It just a nice up and coming big city with or without the negative comments. If anything you misrepresent the place by coming off as oles...

Old 04-05-2013, 04:00 PM

209 posts, read 462,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I hate to tell you, but Charlotte is not an extension of you guys egos. Charlotte can definitely stand on it's own. It just a nice up and coming big city with or without the negative comments. If anything you misrepresent the place by coming off as oles...
Obviously you haven't realized Charlotte gets bashed on City-Data often, so yes, we are very defensive over our city as you, or any other should be about their city.

Oh, btw, you tryin' to call out the Charlotte posters isn't gaining Raleigh any points either. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina