U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times

Advertisements

Cumberland Co (Fayetteville) had one of the largest unincorporated "urban" areas in the state (due to Fort Bragg being outside the city limits)...it was even designated urban by HUD therefore making them eligible for "entitlement" funds. Only Mecklenburg Co holds such a title.

Sounds to me that maybe the representatives from Cumberland may have just been protecting their own interests in keeping Cumberland unincorporated....and it now has had an affect on every municipality in the state.

As I said before, it's hard to defend not annexing the Monkey Junction area when it functions like a large city right outside of a large cities boundaries. City residents in a county such as that should not be having to pay their county taxes to go toward the extension of water and sewer in ONLY the unincorporated areas...in this case there is a combined "authority" that has bailed out the county's system, but that should be carefully looked at as to whether city infrastructure is being taken care of on the same level as the county in respective of the taxes collected (i.e...don't charge a city resident $500 in taxes and a county resident $250 for the purpose of water/sewer if both are receiving the same service by the same authority).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,217,417 times
SC has been used to this for centuries. Columbia SC with an urban population of 557,000 AND at least 420,000 people having a Columbia address (zip codes). The annexation laws keep the city at around 135,000 which is no where it's size. Same for Greenville. NC cities did well in the late century and 2000s while they could.. SC cities never had a chance.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:26 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,807,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
SC has been used to this for centuries. Columbia SC with an urban population of 557,000 AND at least 420,000 people having a Columbia address (zip codes). The annexation laws keep the city at around 135,000 which is no where it's size. Same for Greenville. NC cities did well in the late century and 2000s while they could.. SC cities never had a chance.
Columbia's land area is just 8 square miles less than Raleigh's but its population is nearly 300,000 less. It's not just the annexation laws that have kept Columbia's municipal population low. What chance is the city waiting for?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Columbia's land area is just 8 square miles less than Raleigh's but its population is nearly 300,000 less. It's not just the annexation laws that have kept Columbia's municipal population low. What chance is the city waiting for?
That's an apples and oranges comparison really...Columbia has a river going through it where the other side is not part of the City (and I believe another county entirely)....it also has a large military base on its outskirts, which pushes population away from its core...and finally its inability to annex is most apparent in the Clemson Rd corridor north of the City where huge subdivisions, commercial centers, etc...have grown up over the past 20 or so years...this is the type of area that would be part of Columbia if it were located in NC.

Raleigh is also unique because of its beltline which is completely within the city..it encourages growth near it, which is all city growth.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:06 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,807,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
That's an apples and oranges comparison really...Columbia has a river going through it where the other side is not part of the City (and I believe another county entirely)....it also has a large military base on its outskirts, which pushes population away from its core...and finally its inability to annex is most apparent in the Clemson Rd corridor north of the City where huge subdivisions, commercial centers, etc...have grown up over the past 20 or so years...this is the type of area that would be part of Columbia if it were located in NC.

Raleigh is also unique because of its beltline which is completely within the city..it encourages growth near it, which is all city growth.
Of course every city's conditions and adjacencies influence development, etc. Heck, Raleigh can argue that RTP pulls potential Raleigh residents to Cary. There are different variety of apples and oranges and most cities have some to compare. Raleigh heavily competes with with many municipalities for growth in the Triangle.
The argument was that SC's laws were depressing Columbia's municipal population growth. I am merely pointing out data that is contrary to that assertion. The reality is that the city of Columbia is less than 1000 ppl/square mile. That's really, really low density for the capital city of a state.
If I had found that Columbia's land area was only 40 square miles, I'd be more convinced that the annexation laws were the main problem.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Of course every city's conditions and adjacencies influence development, etc. Heck, Raleigh can argue that RTP pulls potential Raleigh residents to Cary. There are different variety of apples and oranges and most cities have some to compare. Raleigh heavily competes with with many municipalities for growth in the Triangle.
The argument was that SC's laws were depressing Columbia's municipal population growth. I am merely pointing out data that is contrary to that assertion. The reality is that the city of Columbia is less than 1000 ppl/square mile. That's really, really low density for the capital city of a state.
If I had found that Columbia's land area was only 40 square miles, I'd be more convinced that the annexation laws were the main problem.
Maybe the location of the beltway in Columbia is part of the culprit..they built it too far out.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,364 times
Quote:
Read an article over the weekend that the General Assembly is pushing through a bill that may get rid of ETJ's...which stands for extra-territorial jurisdiction. Most municipalities have ETJ's which extend a mile past its boundaries and allow for code enforcement and zoning to be put in place outside the municipal limits. In some cases, like Williamston, it extends 2 miles, which in Williamston's case is to include the Highway 64 bypass and provide for zoning along the bypass' corridor.

Would love to hear opinions as to what folks think of this proposed measure.

My own opinion is that this one measure will have a drastic effect on the appearance of (or improved appearance) the areas around our municipalities as well as along many of our major thoroughfares. What is scary is that many of the less urban counties have little to no zoning, code enforcement or planning. It's why a lot of NC's rural landscape is littered with dilapidated houses, abandoned commercial buildings and vehicles and homemade junkyards. With the loss of the ETJ's, that mess will go right up next to the town limits.

I think it is great. Let every property owner out of any ETJ. In Kinston I pay both City and County fees and or taxes and yet I cannot vote in the city elections. It is not right at all....

Old 06-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
See this is where you are wrong....133 square miles makes up columbia....ONE HUNDRED is inhabitable as it is made up of fort Jackson..no one can live on that land dude...so columbia is really a city of 33 measily square miles made up of 131,000 people...

Old 06-06-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
]Maybe the location of the beltway in Columbia is part of the culprit..they built it too far out.
fort Jackson is 100 square miles and can not be developed at all........

That grey area makes up a majority of the city to the right (fort Jackson) the yellow is where the city limits are that people actually live in.....do you see all the development around it....so of course it looks like Columbia has a big city limit area with low density....most of the density...and then to the northeast of the city 100,000+ people have Columbia addresses but they are all in "unincorpated Richland county" same goes to the northwest of the city....again SC annexation laws have sc cities looking tiny

Old 12-27-2013, 03:38 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,691,746 times
Does anyone know if the etj was actually repealed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina