U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM

2,399 posts, read 3,354,053 times

Advertisements

Read an article over the weekend that the General Assembly is pushing through a bill that may get rid of ETJ's...which stands for extra-territorial jurisdiction. Most municipalities have ETJ's which extend a mile past its boundaries and allow for code enforcement and zoning to be put in place outside the municipal limits. In some cases, like Williamston, it extends 2 miles, which in Williamston's case is to include the Highway 64 bypass and provide for zoning along the bypass' corridor.

Would love to hear opinions as to what folks think of this proposed measure.

My own opinion is that this one measure will have a drastic effect on the appearance of (or improved appearance) the areas around our municipalities as well as along many of our major thoroughfares. What is scary is that many of the less urban counties have little to no zoning, code enforcement or planning. It's why a lot of NC's rural landscape is littered with dilapidated houses, abandoned commercial buildings and vehicles and homemade junkyards. With the loss of the ETJ's, that mess will go right up next to the town limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:29 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,972,161 times
In Boone, the ETJ protected residents from having asphalt plants built literally in their backyards. The majority of people who live in the ETJ like it because they get zoning protections without having to pay all the other taxes.

My opinion is that individual property owners should be able to leave the ETJ with no problem if they want to. But those who want it should be allowed to keep it.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 AM

2,399 posts, read 3,354,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
In Boone, the ETJ protected residents from having asphalt plants built literally in their backyards. The majority of people who live in the ETJ like it because they get zoning protections without having to pay all the other taxes.

My opinion is that individual property owners should be able to leave the ETJ with no problem if they want to. But those who want it should be allowed to keep it.
Yep...Industrial protection is a huge benefit of ETJ's...a new industrial plant can go right up to the town limits without it, which obviously could have a significant negative impact on an entire community.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM

21,966 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Read an article over the weekend that the General Assembly is pushing through a bill that may get rid of ETJ's...which stands for extra-territorial jurisdiction. Most municipalities have ETJ's which extend a mile past its boundaries and allow for code enforcement and zoning to be put in place outside the municipal limits. In some cases, like Williamston, it extends 2 miles, which in Williamston's case is to include the Highway 64 bypass and provide for zoning along the bypass' corridor.

Would love to hear opinions as to what folks think of this proposed measure.

My own opinion is that this one measure will have a drastic effect on the appearance of (or improved appearance) the areas around our municipalities as well as along many of our major thoroughfares. What is scary is that many of the less urban counties have little to no zoning, code enforcement or planning. It's why a lot of NC's rural landscape is littered with dilapidated houses, abandoned commercial buildings and vehicles and homemade junkyards. With the loss of the ETJ's, that mess will go right up next to the town limits.
Jobs, jobs, jobs. There's a laugh for you. This has to be just like last year's law making annexation next to impossible. Somebody with money has a friend in Raleigh & wants to put something in one of these ETJs that's objectionable.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM

10,005 posts, read 9,015,519 times
If I didn't think there were alternate motives I would think this might be a good thing. Some cities have been using ETJ to basically oppress outlying communities that they have no plans to annex or help in anyway. The most well known example of this is Jackson Hamlet, however I don't think the GOP is doing this to help those kinds of towns.

Basically, while ETJ can be helpful it can also be used in underbounding to basically exploit neighborhoods without giving them any real benefit or even a voice about what is happening to them.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 04-02-2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 PM

106 posts, read 275,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
If I didn't think there were alternate motives I would think this might be a good thing. Some cities have been using ETJ to basically oppress outlying communities that they have no plans to annex or help in anyway. The most well known example of this is Jackson Hamlet, however I don't think the GOP is doing this to help those kinds of towns.

Basically, while ETJ can be helpful it can also be used in underbounding to basically exploit neighborhoods without giving them any real benefit or even a voice about what is happening to them.
Jackson Hamlet is/was mainly in need of water and sewer- two things that Pinehurst does not control. Moore County Public Utilities owns and controls the water and sewer in Pinehurst. If Pinehurst had annexed Jackson Hamlet decades ago, it would not have been able to provide a service- water and sewer- that it doesn't own or provide to anyone. Moore County is completely responsible for those services in that area.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 PM

10,005 posts, read 9,015,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recip View Post
Jackson Hamlet is/was mainly in need of water and sewer- two things that Pinehurst does not control. Moore County Public Utilities owns and controls the water and sewer in Pinehurst. If Pinehurst had annexed Jackson Hamlet decades ago, it would not have been able to provide a service- water and sewer- that it doesn't own or provide to anyone. Moore County is completely responsible for those services in that area.
In addition to water and sewer they also need town police protection to improve response time for crime, and currently in they have to deal with town permitting, which they have no control over via the ballot box. If Pinehurst wants to exercise control over places like Jackson Hamlet they should have annexed them rather then treating them like colonial backwaters using ETJ.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:58 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,655,509 times
Quote:

Literally? What law allows a plant to set up shop on someone's property?

And OP it's ETJs not ETJ's.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,972,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Literally? What law allows a plant to set up shop on someone's property?

And OP it's ETJs not ETJ's.
I meant in parcels directly adjacent to theirs. Although your grammar nitpicking is 100% welcome, it doesn't address the benefits of having zoning protection in the ETJ.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,655,509 times
Quote:
I meant in parcels directly adjacent to theirs. Although your grammar nitpicking is 100% welcome, it doesn't address the benefits of having zoning protection in the ETJ.
Oh I may be nitpicking but it isn't about grammar. Surely you haven't read my posts if you think I consider myself high and mighty on that front

"Literal" abuse is just a peeve. Not caused by you but by people that should know better like 20/20 reporting that someone lost in the desert in a car was "literally in Hell".

When a newsman at the national level says that it literally blows my mind.

Mayor Foxx is bad about this and said something really stupid a couple of weeks ago that isn't physically possible but I didn't write it down so I can't share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina