Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:50 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
WRAL is reporting that the bill is dead and won't be voted on. I never expected it to ever be voted and I feel like MOST NC politicians are more reasonable that. Too bad a few have to spoil it foir everyone and makes us look bad nationally!
It shouldnt have come to that in the first place! These idiots should know that if they even considered taking up such stupid legislation like that, the national media, especially MSNBC and other left leaning media outlets would pounce on this story the minute it was leaked! The national media still look at us as a bunch of backwards hicks who cant get over the Civil War and is still stuck in the 1950s because we are a southern state to begin with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
OK I'll play:

That is not what this was about, see previous comments by others. It never made it out of committee anyway.
Im glad that this stupid bill didnt go anywhere, but why was it brought up in first place?

I have not heard of this, please provide specifics.

There is legislation being considered in the GA to limit the number of abortion clinics in NC and have abortion clinics operate next to the nearest hospital! Cannot provide the link but I see this report on the news about a week ago!

Shortening UI benefits is a good thing. First, NC can't afford it. Second, NC can't afford to create another class of people dependent on the government. The lack of jobs have more to do with federal actions creating uncertainty.

Its easy to cut or eliminate their unemployment benefits for the sake of saving money when they still have their jobs! They cannot afford to pay out UI benefits, but they can find the money to give each other pay raise on the first day in session, you gotta love that, huh?

This is also a good thing, as the government is horribly inefficient at managing this. I believe either Delaware or New Hampshire has a hybrid state/private program and it has worked wonders.
Sure it is, lets have our healthcare and pensions be handled by private insurance companies or by Wall Street!

Such as?

The government doesn't create jobs, but it can help create a pro-growth environment for jobs. That being said, you bring up a good point.

Oh yeah, that should be the job of those job creators, but we gotta give them more tax breaks first before that happens right?

Asked and answered.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
Im glad that this stupid bill didnt go anywhere, but why was it brought up in first place?
Who knows, all kinds of idiotic bills get proposed during a legislative session. Moot point now isn't it?

Quote:
There is legislation being considered in the GA to limit the number of abortion clinics in NC and have abortion clinics operate next to the nearest hospital! Cannot provide the link but I see this report on the news about a week ago!
That doesn't sound like outlawing abortions to me.

Quote:
Its easy to cut or eliminate their unemployment benefits for the sake of saving money when they still have their jobs! They cannot afford to pay out UI benefits, but they can find the money to give each other pay raise on the first day in session, you gotta love that, huh?
UI benefits should not be paid out indefinitely. Also, the pay raise was Congress, not the GA and I agree it was stupid. Maybe you are referring to the across the board state raises that Perdue signed last year? If so were you outraged then?

Quote:
Sure it is, lets have our healthcare and pensions be handled by private insurance companies or by Wall Street!
They already are for the most part and I would like to keep it that way. They are more efficient and competition lowers costs. Also, there is legal recourse against private institutions for doing wrong, not so much against the government. The government does not have enough money to fund their pensions/medicare/medicaid/SSI anyway so that entire benefits system will collapse leaving their "investors" with nothing.

Quote:
Oh yeah, that should be the job of those job creators, but we gotta give them more tax breaks first before that happens right?
You mean like green energy companies that have gone bankrupt? In certain circumstances tax breaks can be beneficial, however there should be penalties if the company fails to meet the criteria of those breaks, such as what happened with Dell. Also, you tell me where a company will invest: a location with a 36% tax rate or a location with a 25% tax rate?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Democracy no longer functions in this state. We're going to live under the tyranny of a radical minority for the next 10 years at least, unless the Federal Government does something about it.
Did you use this much hyperbole when Perdue won?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:51 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,208,674 times
Living in Rowan is still nice.
But I saw first hand the loss of population and the large numbers of empty homes and apt.
What Warren and Ford are doing is not helping the County in any way. Warren who is in his second term has done nothing but pander to his ageing base. Nothing he stands for has in any way helped stem the tide of companies leaving Rowan.
They need to start with improved education.
The county board needs to start getting some growth back and should start by foreclosing on the non-tax payers. Then at least maybe the Real Estate Mkt. could return with the sell off of the large numbers of empty properties

Old 04-04-2013, 04:03 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,033 times
Quote:
So you're okay with state sponsored religion, outlawing abortions, shortening the the amount of UI benefits and length of time people who are unemployed can receive UI benefits when there are hardly any jobs out there, thus the fifth highest unemployment rate in the nation, privatizing Medicaid, and more government intrusion into our personal lives, okay, I get it! Oh, and while the GOP is tackling these oh so important issues, what the hell happened to their jobs plan? I forgot, there are no jobs plan; they're too busy legislating everything they are so dead set against (ie, abortion, gay marriage, showing nipples in public, etc.)! Need I go on?
Wait, did you extrapolate that from what I said being that I didn't state an opinion on anything you are asking for, or are you trying to divert to off topic?

Old 04-04-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
WRAL is reporting that the bill is dead and won't be voted on. I never expected it to ever be voted and I feel like MOST NC politicians are more reasonable that. Too bad a few have to spoil it for everyone and makes us look bad nationally!
Old news. It's dead because it didn't really ask for anything but we're not hear to talk about what happened. We're hear to talk about what we think happened.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
OK I'll play:

Such as?
Making business provide free birth control and keep kids on insurance policies for longer than 1/4 of their lives.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
It shouldnt have come to that in the first place! These idiots should know that if they even considered taking up such stupid legislation like that, the national media, especially MSNBC and other left leaning media outlets would pounce on this story the minute it was leaked! The national media still look at us as a bunch of backwards hicks who cant get over the Civil War and is still stuck in the 1950s because we are a southern state to begin with!
Legislation = Law
Resolution <> Law

As the OP I ask that you start a different thread if you are talking about legislation since this thread is not about that.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Who knows, all kinds of idiotic bills get proposed during a legislative session. Moot point now isn't it?

That doesn't sound like outlawing abortions to me.

UI benefits should not be paid out indefinitely. Also, the pay raise was Congress, not the GA and I agree it was stupid. Maybe you are referring to the across the board state raises that Perdue signed last year? If so were you outraged then?

They already are for the most part and I would like to keep it that way. They are more efficient and competition lowers costs. Also, there is legal recourse against private institutions for doing wrong, not so much against the government. The government does not have enough money to fund their pensions/medicare/medicaid/SSI anyway so that entire benefits system will collapse leaving their "investors" with nothing.

You mean like green energy companies that have gone bankrupt? In certain circumstances tax breaks can be beneficial, however there should be penalties if the company fails to meet the criteria of those breaks, such as what happened with Dell. Also, you tell me where a company will invest: a location with a 36% tax rate or a location with a 25% tax rate?
It may not sound like outlawing abortions but it is a step toward restricting womens access to abortion and family planning services, this is a Republican strategy, chip away at the abortion law one step at a time! If memory serves me, I do recall Gov. McCrory and members of the GA giving each other pay raises on the very first in sessuon, many of those lawmakers were newly elected officials! It was all over the news! You want to accuse me of taking partisan sides when it seems that is what you are doing! I dont condone any party giving each other pay raises for doing nothing, especially when
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina