Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

This story if flodding my FB and on national news. This state is getting such a bad national reputation.

I guess Governor Perdue had it right. We look like Mississippi

NC Governor Perdue on Marriage Amendment: It Makes North Carolina Look Like Mississippi - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Again, it is a trivial issue that provides excuses on not focusing on substantive work. Don't forget these peoples' goals, regardless of party, is to stay in office and get rich. Their only priority or concern.
On this, we agree.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Mid term elections in 2014 are VERY important. If moderates and progressives sit on their hands like they did in 2010, it's pretty much over. However, this time it's going to be much harder now that the republican safe districts across the state are pretty darn safe. Liberals and moderates need to be out in force to get many of these bozos out of office.
People need to remember that gerrymandering had nothing to do with the election of Gov. McCrory, as the election of our governor is determined by statewide popular vote counts without regard to legislative districts. The fact of the matter is that the Democrats had a very poor track record going into the 2012 election, a Crook followed by an abdicating Cow, and that McCrory won fair and square by a considerable margin. If you are worried about this, fellow Democrats, see to it that you have better candidates and better ideas next election cycle. Somebody like Jim Hunt or Terry Sanford (or Republican Jim Martin, for that matter) would have beaten the pants off McCrory in the last election.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
But the NCGOP wants us to be like the other deep south states, thats really setting a low bar, when we should be competing with states like New York, Texas, California, and Florida, not Alabama, Mississippi and our southern neighbors across the state line, thats how backwards minded they are! We need to vote these assclowns out in 2014 or theyre going to do further damage to this state!
Yes, we need a government that uses it's emergency powers to prevent the spread of plague to restrict the sale of soft drinks but only to those that get health inspections.

That's exactly what we need. What damage exactly has been done?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
People need to remember that gerrymandering had nothing to do with the election of Gov. McCrory, as the election of our governor is determined by statewide popular vote counts without regard to legislative districts. The fact of the matter is that the Democrats had a very poor track record going into the 2012 election, a Crook followed by an abdicating Cow, and that McCrory won fair and square by a considerable margin. If you are worried about this, fellow Democrats, see to it that you have better candidates and better ideas next election cycle. Somebody like Jim Hunt or Terry Sanford (or Republican Jim Martin, for that matter) would have beaten the pants off McCrory in the last election.
Are you alleging that because a GOP candidate won by popular election that maybe the legislature one by popular reasons?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Well, I'm not commenting on the legislature this time, except to say that gerrymandering by both parties has gotten out of control and needs to be reigned in by the courts. For example, my congressional district in Raleigh is really strange. But is it not true that Demoratic candidates got more votes, in total, than Republican candidates for state senate and state house, and yet the majority of delegates are nevertheless Republican? I don't know for sure. But if so, this would seem to me to be prima facie evidence of extreme gerrymandering. My original point, however, was only that this does not apply to the gubernatorial race, were the Republican won in a straightforward count of votes.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Yes, we need a government that uses it's emergency powers to prevent the spread of plague to restrict the sale of soft drinks but only to those that get health inspections.

That's exactly what we need. What damage exactly has been done?
So you're okay with state sponsored religion, outlawing abortions, shortening the the amount of UI benefits and length of time people who are unemployed can receive UI benefits when there are hardly any jobs out there, thus the fifth highest unemployment rate in the nation, privatizing Medicaid, and more government intrusion into our personal lives, okay, I get it! Oh, and while the GOP is tackling these oh so important issues, what the hell happened to their jobs plan? I forgot, there are no jobs plan; they're too busy legislating everything they are so dead set against (ie, abortion, gay marriage, showing nipples in public, etc.)! Need I go on?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
WRAL is reporting that the bill is dead and won't be voted on. I never expected it to ever be voted and I feel like MOST NC politicians are more reasonable that. Too bad a few have to spoil it for everyone and makes us look bad nationally!

Last edited by lamishra; 04-04-2013 at 12:33 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times
OK I'll play:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
So you're okay with state sponsored religion
That is not what this was about, see previous comments by others. It never made it out of committee anyway.

Quote:
outlawing abortions,
I have not heard of this, please provide specifics.

Quote:
shortening the the amount of UI benefits and length of time people who are unemployed can receive UI benefits when there are hardly any jobs out there, thus the fifth highest unemployment rate in
the nation,
Shortening UI benefits is a good thing. First, NC can't afford it. Second, NC can't afford to create another class of people dependent on the government. The lack of jobs have more to do with federal actions creating uncertainty.

Quote:
privatizing Medicaid,
This is also a good thing, as the government is horribly inefficient at managing this. I believe either Delaware or New Hampshire has a hybrid state/private program and it has worked wonders.

Quote:
and more government intrusion into our personal lives,
Such as?

Quote:
okay, I get it! Oh, and while the GOP is tackling these oh so important issues, what the hell happened to their jobs plan?
The government doesn't create jobs, but it can help create a pro-growth environment for jobs. That being said, you bring up a good point.

Quote:
I forgot, there are no jobs plan; they're too busy legislating everything they are so dead set against (ie, abortion, gay marriage, showing nipples in public, etc.)! Need I go on?
Asked and answered.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
This is coming from the General Assembly, not McCrory. Remember that North Carolinians cast more votes for Democratic representatives for Congress, but Republicans control 9 of the 13 seats due to gerrymandering. I'm not sure what the ratio is for the state legislature, but it is reasonable to assume that something similar has occurred there.

Barring some kind of overwhelming dem landslide in 2014 I expect the General Assembly to barely change at all that year. Democracy no longer functions in this state. We're going to live under the tyranny of a radical minority for the next 10 years at least, unless the Federal Government does something about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina