Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 AM

602 posts, read 571,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
So if you had a house in Charlotte, but rented a Condo in DC where you lived for 9 months out of the year you shouldn't be allowed to vote in DC? Very interesting.

I should be able to pick which one I wanted to vote in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,355,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
I should be able to pick which one I wanted to vote in?
Uh yeah, that is kind of settled law at this point, especially for college students.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Reading links... sometimes it is useful...

Though I think it is funny that you think that you think what the GOP is actually proposing is so bad that it must be a conspiracy.

"Any personal exemption allowed for a child if that child is registered to vote at an address other than that of the person claiming the exemption and the child does not cancel the child's voter registration within 30 days of receiving a letter of notification under G.S. 163-82.7(c1). This subdivision does not affect any legal duty of support that the parent may have with respect to the child.""

"Supplemental Information on Duty of Voter. – Along with the notice to the newly registered voter sent under subsection (c) of this section, the county board of elections shall include a letter of notification that informs the voter that (i) if the voter is a dependent of the voter's parent or legal guardian, is 18 years of age or older, and the voter has registered at an address other than that of the parent or legal guardian, the parent or legal guardian will not be allowed to claim the voter as a dependent for State income tax purposes and (ii) if the voter owns a motor vehicle, that vehicle must be registered at the same address as the voter's address within 60 days as required by law and that the vehicle shall be subject to local property tax in that jurisdiction as required by law. The letter of notification shall provide a simple method for the newly registered voter who registered to vote in a county that was not his or her legal residence to have his or her voter registration transferred to the correct county of residence by checking a box on the form and signing and returning it to the county board of elections which shall forward the registration to the correct county. The county board of elections shall on a monthly basis transmit a list of newly registered voters along with the North Carolina drivers license or nonoperator identification number if applicable to the Division of Motor Vehicles which shall audit its records to ensure compliance with motor vehicle registration and property tax records.""

http://ncleg.net/Applications/BillLo...=2726&SeqNum=0

That wasn't the part I was referring to:
You gave your opinion on their motives

"This is basically a giant scheme to stop college students from voting because they are overwhelmingly Democratic."

Old 04-05-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
That wasn't the part I was referring to:
You gave your opinion on their motives

"This is basically a giant scheme to stop college students from voting because they are overwhelmingly Democratic."
Well why the hell are they doing it then? It it looks like a duck...and then you have its proponent Mr. Delancy's statements in the article about how college students cannot be trusted and need "protection" from being able to organize and vote in groups.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Well why the hell are they doing it then? It it looks like a duck...and then you have its proponent Mr. Delancy's statements in the article about how college students cannot be trusted and need "protection" from being able to vote in groups.

No one's stopping them from voting. They can make the choice to vote at college or at "home".

Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
No one's stopping them from voting. They can make the choice to vote at college or at "home".
You don't think that loss of a 2,000-2,500 tax deduction on the part of parents, just maybe, is a significant barrier to registering to vote? Not to mention vehicle registration rules. It is pretty ****ing clear what this is.

In fact because of the varying tax rules based on automobile registration, it is pretty clear this is an effective poll tax on students.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
You don't think that loss of a 2,000-2,500 tax deduction on the part of parents, just maybe, is a significant barrier to registering to vote? Not to mention vehicle registration rules. It is pretty ****ing clear what this is.

In fact because of the varying tax rules based on automobile registration, it is pretty clear this is an effective poll tax on students.

Arent taxes good, though?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Arent taxes good, though?
Not poll taxes. Have you cracked a copy of the US Constitution recently? I ask because I know a few of your GOP friends in the state legislature probably haven't considering their religion bill.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Not poll taxes. Have you cracked a copy of the US Constitution recently? I ask because I know a few of your GOP friends in the state legislature probably haven't considering their religion bill.

No one is making them pay the $$$ to vote. That is ridiculous. It is giving them a choice. Stop crying about having a choice. Arent dems pro-choice anyway?

They can be a "dependent" and vote in their hometown, while their parents get to keep claiming them. Or they can vote in their college town, their parents cant claim them as a dependent and the student now gets to take the standard deduction.

Anyway I thought the constitution was just an out-dated piece of paper? At least that's what some of the dems currently in office think.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
No one is making them pay the $$$ to vote. That is ridiculous. It is giving them a choice. Stop crying about having a choice. Arent dems pro-choice anyway?

They can be a "dependent" and vote in their hometown, while their parents get to keep claiming them. Or they can vote in their college town, their parents cant claim them as a dependent and the student now gets to take the standard deduction.

Anyway I thought the constitution was just an out-dated piece of paper? At least that's what some of the dems currently in office think.
Yes they are. If I own a car and I have to change the registration on it and pay the fees solely because I want to vote how is that not charging $$$ to vote. If I want to do nothing other then register to vote at my apartment and that sole act will cost my parents a $2,000 tax deduction how is that not a tax to vote. The fact is the GOP legislative leadership in Raleigh would get their asses handed to them if the election were held today. http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/m...ors-.html#more As such they want to stop people who are going to vote against them from voting as much as possible

This isn't about choice. As it stands now students can already choose to register where ever without burdens. This is anti-choice because it is a bunch of Republicans in Raleigh deciding where people should vote and penalizing them if they want to vote somewhere else. It is anti-choice.

No one has said the Constitution was just an out-dated-piece of paper, though the GOP leaders in Raleigh seem to be the biggest proponents of that position at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina