Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times

Advertisements

The NC House of Representatives is holding meetings to consider legislation requiring voter ID in NC .

I urge everyone here to call and email your representatives. Urge them to support this legislation. I served as a judge in the last election. I saw no obvious fraud, but dozens of people there could have been fraudulent & I wouldn't have known it. Anyone can come in and say he's someone else. Particularly in large cities, poll officials do not know everyone in their precincts. ID is a must for fraud prevention.

Some cry that millions of NC citizens do not have ID's of any kind & would be cheated of the vote. Free ID's will be given to anyone who needs one. I do not believe the millions number. People show ID's to do nearly anything now. Requiring voter ID is long overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,681 times
This seems like a common-sense proposal to me. I really don't understand the arguments against it. For the record I rarely agree with republicans.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
seems unnecessary.

just show your DL or state ID. should have your correct address on it, and if it doesn't, you should have a utility bill in your name.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
This seems like a common-sense proposal to me. I really don't understand the arguments against it. For the record I rarely agree with republicans.
It's probably a challenge for any of us who don't live at the bottom, most disenfranchised rungs of society to really understand the difficulties of things we take for granted as being "simple." I'm willing to admit that I personally don't have an appreciation for how a law like this might impact some of our less-fortunate citizens. I don't doubt there might be some impact at the fringes. Still, I'm not sure that's enough for me to oppose it. I'm very much in favor of free and unfettered access to the polls - it's the bedrock of our republic. But I haven't been convinced that an ID requirement is such a significant barrier to the exercise of voting rights that it should be avoided.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
Has anyone actually come up with any of this reported voter fraud? Just how many dead people ARE voting? Just how many people are being bused in from some other state to vote illegally? Just where are all of these people who are voting two or three times, maybe six times?

This bill, entitled "RESTORE CONFIDENCE IN THE GOVERNMENT" will do nothing to restore confidence. If anything, it will result in higher overhead, lower voter turnout and added costs to be shouldered by the taxpayer (this means US).

Old 03-15-2011, 04:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
[quote=DanielChang;18292391]Has anyone actually come up with any of this reported voter fraud? Just how many dead people ARE voting? Just how many people are being bused in from some other state to vote illegally? Just where are all of these people who are voting two or three times, maybe six times?
quote]

Even one is too many

EVERYONE should have picture ID in this country.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
seems unnecessary.

just show your DL or state ID. should have your correct address on it, and if it doesn't, you should have a utility bill in your name.
The legislation specifies driver's license, mililtary or other commonly used ID. If someone honestly doesn't have one of these, a voter ID card will be issued at no cost. Currently , no ID is required to vote.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
Has anyone actually come up with any of this reported voter fraud? Just how many dead people ARE voting? Just how many people are being bused in from some other state to vote illegally? Just where are all of these people who are voting two or three times, maybe six times?

This bill, entitled "RESTORE CONFIDENCE IN THE GOVERNMENT" will do nothing to restore confidence. If anything, it will result in higher overhead, lower voter turnout and added costs to be shouldered by the taxpayer (this means US).
How does requiring ID lower voter turnout? Most people have a driver's license, special NC ID, or military ID. How many people do you know that don't? People have to show ID to buy alcohol or tobacco, to buy firearms, to buy airline tickets, to cash checks or open bank accounts. Why shouldn't ID be required to vote?

Old 03-15-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedratermi View Post
Thanks, you agree with one now. We're not always oceans apart.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
seems unnecessary.

But the point is, this is currently not policy--you aren't even allowed to ask for ID at all. I don't know what they would do if someone came in claiming to be a 60-year-old who was clearly 30something, if they can't ask for ID.

Quote:
Nobody knows how many people are claiming to be someone else who, say might have moved away (it can take years for a name to drop off the voter rolls after moving to another state) or died recently, or simply didn't vote that election. If the registered voter in question doesn't find out or challenge it, nobody ever knows how often it happens. I personally know someone about my age who moved out of state 2 years ago but as of now, is still registered, and I could easy claim to be him and vote in his place if I were so inclined. Nobody, not even he, would ever know. Actually even when he lived here, he almost never voted (I know because you can find such info online) and I used to bug him about that, but I could have just gone and pretended to be him if I'd wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina