Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What initial factor caused you to consider NC as place to live?
TV, Radio, Magazine or "Best Places" Website 5 7.35%
Neighbor,Friend,Relative (following kids) who moved prior to you 11 16.18%
My job (or that of a spouse/significant other) relocated to NC 6 8.82%
My own research (based on climate, culture, cost of living) 19 27.94%
Native returning home after some time away 1 1.47%
Always was interested in NC even before it became popular 17 25.00%
I was born here and am proud of it! 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 05:22 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times

Advertisements

This poll should shed some light on what initial catayst caused many to relocate to NC. Note, this is the iniital factor. For example, you read a Money Magazine article which stirred up the initial interest. Or all my former neighbors moved there which caused me to investigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2006, 05:50 PM

336 posts, read 513,134 times
Mostly my own research on climate and housing prices. My mother also works for US Airways, and I fly free on them, so the fact that Charlotte is a US Airways base helped my decision. Being at a US Airways base cuts one leg and a few hours off my travel time to most places.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:58 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
This poll should shed some light on what initial catayst caused many to relocate to NC. Note, this is the iniital factor. For example, you read a Money Magazine article which stirred up the initial interest. Or all my former neighbors moved there which caused me to investigate.
My answer isn't on your poll, it was my first visit in Oct 2000 that got me and my husband hooked. We fell in love with the beauty of the mountains, the BLUE sky, the cool air. We love it more each time we go.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:02 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
My answer isn't on your poll, it was my first visit in Oct 2000 that got me and my husband hooked. We fell in love with the beauty of the mountains, the BLUE sky, the cool air. We love it more each time we go.

Wouldn't "Always was interested in NC even before it became popular" sorta be that? If not how would you phrase the option?

Old 10-07-2006, 06:11 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Wouldn't "Always was interested in NC even before it became popular" sorta be that? If not how would you phrase the option?
Ok, I guess that's it, it's one I'm going to check.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:16 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
what about for the natives...born here?

Old 10-07-2006, 06:19 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
what about for the natives...born here?
That should be added. It would help reflect the percentage of those who have always lived here compared to newcomers.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
That should be added. It would help reflect the percentage of those who have always lived here compared to newcomers.
Well the poll was kind of for relocated folks. Natives I assume got here by birth (unless there's some other way of coming into the world i don't know about yet ) However may be I'm not reading your response correctly?

Incidentally I can't see who posts what (even as a mod).

Old 10-07-2006, 06:27 PM

146 posts, read 638,586 times
Retired from a NYC job in 2004. Well before that I let my wife know that we will be moving from NY when I retired. In the summer of '05 we went down to Florida to look at areas that we had researched. Last year the market was still very hot and the builders acted as if they were doing you a favor selling you a house. A nice house, not custom, in a good neighborhood ran 500K w/o pool. We could have swung the payments but it would mean that we both needed to work. After we returned home I ran into a friend from my job who also retired and suggested we look into NC. This past Febraury, after doing a lot of reseach we narrowed the area down to Charlotte and did some house hunting during the kids winter break. We decided on a area in Union county, Wesley Chapel. One of the deciding factors was the HS that covers our area, which is Weddington HS, a highly rated school in the town and state. The good thing is that our community is partially in Weddington and its highly unlikely they would redistrict anyone living there. That was tried once where some town split a community in half and started an uproar. Needless to say that was changed quick. The happy ending is that the wife loves the house and area. Though she will be leaving family behind she is only a short flight away.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:28 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Quote:
Well the poll was kind of for relocated folks. Natives I assume got here by birth (unless there's some other way of coming into the world i don't know about yet ) However may be I'm not reading your response correctly?

Incidentally I can't see who posts what (even as a mod).
No I understand the whole point of the poll is to figure out why people moved to NC. But I did think it would be interesting to add the "born here" part to see how it compares to the other responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina