U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 PM
 
1,938 posts, read 2,844,655 times
Reputation: 2675

Advertisements

NC has always been conservative, but the Republican controlled congress and governor are taking it back into the dark ages. What happened after Obama was elected? How can the state be so insanely conservative with so many transplants moving in? I am considering moving back to the RTP area, but am having doubts because of the crazy NC politics. Are there any liberals left?

 
Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 PM
 
1,981 posts, read 3,160,405 times
Reputation: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
NC has always been conservative, but the Republican controlled congress and governor are taking it back into the dark ages.
An example?

Most of the crazyness I see these days are from democrats. Being in West Seattle, are there any liberals left or are they all the fascist/progressive types that dominate the areas of Seattle around the Ship Canal? I bet the libertarians died off with Charlie Chong.
 
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 AM
 
1,938 posts, read 2,844,655 times
Reputation: 2675
How One Millionaire Is Turning North Carolina Into A Tea Party Utopia
 
Old 04-09-2013, 05:31 AM
 
1,547 posts, read 2,169,269 times
Reputation: 1400
We need to go back and do things that have worked - Capitalism is a start. Liberalism does not create the worlds greatest economy. We need Getty's, Rockefellers, GP Morgans etc. AGAIN!
 
Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 AM
 
2,640 posts, read 6,061,919 times
Reputation: 3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
We need to go back and do things that have worked - Capitalism is a start. Liberalism does not create the worlds greatest economy. We need Getty's, Rockefellers, GP Morgans etc. AGAIN!

Yeah! Robber barons, child labor, workplace abuses, segregation...those were the good old days!

And by the way, capitalism and liberalism are not mutually exclusive, you know.
 
Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,622 posts, read 11,204,862 times
Reputation: 8479
west seattle, NC, as you probably know, has long been conservative and progressive at the same time. We're not purple, we're polka dotted red and blue. Witness Democrat Jim Hunt as governor and uber-conservative Jesse Helms in the senate throughout the 70s, 80s, & 90s. This is just one more pendulum swing. There were plenty of people who voted for Obama, but the Democrat running for gov was weak and the outgoing Dem governor was not popular and decided not to run again. The Repub candidate had been a popular moderate Rep mayor of Charlotte and has turned into an ultra-conservative Governor backed by lots of Republican $$ and surrounded by cronies. I'm sure the pendulum will swing again although the Rs are doing their best to keep it on their side by redrawing the districts.

You'll find your people in Durham or Chapel Hill. Ellie Kinnaird is the state rep for Orange & Person counties and I just got her weekly Legislative Update today. She posts it on her facebook page, too, if you want to read her take on what's been happening in the state Legislature: http://www.facebook.com/elliekinnaird?fref=ts
 
Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Status: "On The Lookout" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,390 posts, read 61,750,545 times
Reputation: 31937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
We need to go back and do things that have worked...
What works is having effective ratio's between the number of those working at good paying jobs
with decent benefits and the number of those who don't (or can't) have them.

Every city and state will have a portion of the low's of the world.
The low skilled, the low motivated, the low advancing, the low paid.

What will set the successful apart from the floundering...
is what portion of their whole is made up of the low's.

The first 10% is almost inevitable. The second 10% (when not a constant pool) is manageable.
Beyond that 20% level however... is what will eventually doom us all.
Of late we are well beyond that 20%...

The problem though is far less about not having enough jobs for those who might need (or even
want) one than it is about having far too many people than jobs that actually need doing.

Most of that labor surplus is at the low/no skill end of the spectrum but there's plenty of it at the higher
end as well with far too many competing with their own sibling or spouse for a job. The net result
being that none of the three get paid well or ever have much security.
 
Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 AM
 
1,547 posts, read 2,169,269 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yeah! Robber barons, child labor, workplace abuses, segregation...those were the good old days!

And by the way, capitalism and liberalism are not mutually exclusive, you know.

Robber barons, like everybody else, had faults. These Industrialists created the middle class,
not the liberals or the Government. Own up to the facts. The economy right now is in the TANK
and liberal democrats will be unable to reverse course! Things are getting worse - this is a fact.
 
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 AM
 
1,547 posts, read 2,169,269 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What works is having effective ratio's between the number of those working at good paying jobs
with decent benefits and the number of those who don't (or can't) have them.

Every city and state will have a portion of the low's of the world.
The low skilled, the low motivated, the low advancing, the low paid.

What will set the successful apart from the floundering...
is what portion of their whole is made up of the low's.

The first 10% is almost inevitable. The second 10% (when not a constant pool) is manageable.
Beyond that 20% level however... is what will eventually doom us all.
Of late we are well beyond that 20%...

The problem though is far less about not having enough jobs for those who might need (or even
want) one than it is about having far too many people than jobs that actually need doing.

Most of that labor surplus is at the low/no skill end of the spectrum but there's plenty of it at the higher
end as well with far too many competing with their own sibling or spouse for a job. The net result
being that none of the three get paid well or ever have much security.
Agreed, but sorry to say fairness and ratios will not work in our world economy today. Regardless of skill set, jobs are not available. Good Jobs and lots of jobs will not be available until Entrepreneurs create them. With all the regulations on business and OBAMACareless & Pay more, why hire anyone?
 
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 AM
 
1,547 posts, read 2,169,269 times
Reputation: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yeah! Robber barons, child labor, workplace abuses, segregation...those were the good old days!

And by the way, capitalism and liberalism are not mutually exclusive, you know.
More I think about it...

You are buying goods made by Children (China, Indonesia, Korea etc.) Workplace abuses
happen everyday even within our own government - need examples? Our factories were filled
with all walks of life - Segregation? All of the things you describe have been regulated, regulated, re-regulated, and more regulated - how's that working out for our US economy?

Go Tea Party!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:33 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top